Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Killer Grand Prix by Gawain Jones (Read 38761 times)
Geck0
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Killer Grand Prix by Gawain Jones
Reply #24 - 09/08/11 at 11:24:36
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 07/19/11 at 20:38:52:
If you want to play the Grand Prix, then definitely, Gawain is the world's leading expert in the system.

Regarding this point, I'm reluctant to concur. IM Alexander Bangiev has a theoretical and practical background spanning over decades (Historical note: he did also share some analysis with Kramnik, way back when he was enjoying the GPA). I possess the Jones book as well as the Bangiev 1.e4 cd, and I must say that I value the Bangiev stuff more. On another sidenote, IM Wippermann (student of bangiev also equipped with a lot of GPA experience, playing the GPA against McShane and others) did beat Gawain with the black pieces (around one year after the book was released), neutralising precisely white's idea.

One can argue that the book is 'only' a starting out. Then again also a "mere" local GPA protege like me could have assembled this book, as I personally didn't learn anything out of the book and disagreed on some evaluations.

This is the most critical point: there are several passages in the starting out book where Gawain claims some advantage for the first player, where objectively speaking, its not so easy. He does this quite enthusiastically and 'easily' dismisses some black possibilities. Yet in some cases, his recommendation leads to equal or even inferior positions.

Even if you disagree on Bangiev due to the sheer rating difference, your opinion seems to be way too focused on the current playing situation. Remember that the GPA is not very famous at the moment, but was heavily discussed in the nineties. I would consider (of course) Short as well as Anand (!) to be bigger experts on the GPA than Jones.

Elo 2276

Shortest tournament win against IM: 25 moves

Shortest tournament win against GM: 19 moves

Advocate of unconventional ideas + moves.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 08/01/11 at 21:57:35
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 07/22/11 at 01:04:26:
I thought he might have torrented it from one of those unscrupolous torrent sites.

Tops Smiley

I fear you overestimate my level of technical competence Toppy.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #22 - 07/22/11 at 01:04:26
Post Tools
I thought he might have torrented it from one of those unscrupolous torrent sites.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 07/21/11 at 21:23:41
Post Tools
Fromper wrote on 07/20/11 at 15:04:11:
JonathanB wrote on 07/20/11 at 14:16:29:
- though, disclaimer ahoy, bear in mind I haven't watched all of the DVD yet, haven't studied any of it closely, I don't play 1. e4, I don't play the Sicilian -

Ok, I just have to ask. If you never play either side of this opening, then why did you buy the DVD?

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #20 - 07/20/11 at 17:49:09
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 07/20/11 at 15:51:45:
Ok, I just have to ask. If you never play either side of this opening, then why did you buy the DVD?

That's a pretty reasonable question.  I didn't buy it though.  I was sent a review copy.

Good answer.  Wink

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 07/20/11 at 15:51:45
Post Tools

That's a pretty reasonable question.  I didn't buy it though.  I was sent a review copy.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #18 - 07/20/11 at 15:04:11
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 07/20/11 at 14:16:29:
- though, disclaimer ahoy, bear in mind I haven't watched all of the DVD yet, haven't studied any of it closely, I don't play 1. e4, I don't play the Sicilian -

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm sure I'll buy this if I decide that I really want to try the Grand Prix. I'm still waffling on what to play against the Sicilian.

GrandPatzer!!!

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 07/20/11 at 14:16:29
Post Tools
Fromper wrote on 07/19/11 at 20:06:36:
So would those of you who have this DVD recommend it?

For what it's worth

my feeling is that this DVD is more than enough for somebody of 1700 strength assuming that, (a) they want to play the GPA and (b) they prefer DVDs to books.

I would also second the comment above.  If you want to know about the Grand Prix then you want to hear what Corporal Jones has to say about it.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 07/19/11 at 20:38:52
Post Tools
If you want to play the Grand Prix, then definitely, Gawain is the world's leading expert in the system.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #15 - 07/19/11 at 20:06:36
Post Tools
I just noticed that this DVD is available on ChessCafe.com, so it should be easier for those of us in the US to get it. And if they have it at ChessCafe, then other US sites will probably have it within a week, as well.

I learn better from videos than books, which is why I think I'd prefer the DVD to his book. Though if I start playing the opening regularly, I'll probably end up getting a book with the latest detailed theory, to look things up in as they come up. But since this opening is new to me, I'm more interested in explanations and ideas to get me started than the latest and greatest theory. Besides, at 1700 level, how much detailed theory should I be memorizing anyway?

So would those of you who have this DVD recommend it?

GrandPatzer!!!

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 07/13/11 at 16:05:07
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 07/13/11 at 10:49:03:
LostTactic wrote on 07/12/11 at 21:54:26:
1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. f4 e6 4. Nf3 d5 5. Bb5 Nge7 6. exd5 exd5 7. Qe2 and 7... f6! which is Avrukh's recommendation isn't mentioned at all in the dvd  Angry. I think it's probably because it's blacks 6th choice and has only been played 10 times (using Mega Database 2011 stats).

Might also have something to do when Avrukh's analysis was published (May was it ??) and when the DVD was recorded - around March I believe.

Yeh lol, that would make a lot more sense.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 07/13/11 at 10:49:03
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 07/12/11 at 21:54:26:
1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. f4 e6 4. Nf3 d5 5. Bb5 Nge7 6. exd5 exd5 7. Qe2 and 7... f6! which is Avrukh's recommendation isn't mentioned at all in the dvd  Angry. I think it's probably because it's blacks 6th choice and has only been played 10 times (using Mega Database 2011 stats).

Might also have something to do when Avrukh's analysis was published (May was it ??) and when the DVD was recorded - around March I believe.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 07/12/11 at 21:54:26
Post Tools
Been watching my copy for just over an hour and a half now and finally got to the point where Gawain takes on Boris, or the lack of it  Huh.

Apart from that gap though I've been impressed by the dvd so far, it's clear that he's fully confident in the GPA and it's very interesting to listen to him as he explains the ideas and plans when he's going through his games. I think for anyone interested in playing the GPA this is a must buy + his starting out book on the GPA.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/22/11 at 17:31:07
Post Tools
I would like to hear something more about it either. But It seems the authors of many recent repertoire books for Black have done a good job discouraging wannabe GP-players... Cry

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #10 - 06/22/11 at 08:51:00
Post Tools
Goodness gracious me.
Nobody...?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo