Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Modern Defense (Read 1905 times)
TN
YaBB Moderator

Re: Modern Defense
Reply #1 - 05/27/11 at 00:06:46
Post Tools
Kanivakil wrote on 05/26/11 at 22:02:06:
Pardon me if this topic has already been discussed. I've been researching as to what the best setup against the Modern Defense is. It is a really flexible opening and 1. ...g6 can be played against any white's first move. I've played around with the universal setup Yugoslav Attack but it seems like black can get equal play with the queenside expansion and delaying kingside castling, but in the Pirc/Modern black is missing the semi-open c file as in the Sicilian Defense, so theoretically it is perhaps inferior. Maybe I just need better technique in positions with opposite side castling because one needs to be exact in these critical situations. The other idea I've played with is simply enjoying space with c4, d4, e4, Nc3, Nf3, Bg5, Qd2, I'm not sure where the king's bishop belong...etc and perhaps black would just suffocate looking for play and only further weaken his position; just vague generalizations here. It seems for Modern players, it's more about ideas and flexibility than exact lines to play so they seem a bit comfortable and I want to break that, to cause them to sweat a bit.

If you are willing to study the theory, I would definitely recommend the Austrian Attack.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Kanivakil
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Modern Defense
05/26/11 at 22:02:06
Post Tools
Pardon me if this topic has already been discussed. I've been researching as to what the best setup against the Modern Defense is. It is a really flexible opening and 1. ...g6 can be played against any white's first move. I've played around with the universal setup Yugoslav Attack but it seems like black can get equal play with the queenside expansion and delaying kingside castling, but in the Pirc/Modern black is missing the semi-open c file as in the Sicilian Defense, so theoretically it is perhaps inferior. Maybe I just need better technique in positions with opposite side castling because one needs to be exact in these critical situations. The other idea I've played with is simply enjoying space with c4, d4, e4, Nc3, Nf3, Bg5, Qd2, I'm not sure where the king's bishop belong...etc and perhaps black would just suffocate looking for play and only further weaken his position; just vague generalizations here. It seems for Modern players, it's more about ideas and flexibility than exact lines to play so they seem a bit comfortable and I want to break that, to cause them to sweat a bit.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo