Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fonts for ChessBase board? (Read 18294 times)
Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Re: Fonts for ChessBase board?
Reply #10 - 09/02/18 at 12:04:31
Post Tools
>>Just copy the fonts to windows/ fonts folder. Chessbase will recognise it.

Unfortunately, ChessBase does not seem to recognize new piece fonts installed into the Windows Fonts folder.

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

Rosalinda
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 08/09/12 at 11:40:26
Post Tools
Just copy the fonts to windows/ fonts folder. Chessbase will recognise it.  Zwischenzugzwang wrote on 07/17/11 at 12:21:19:
Thank you for the link, TalJechin!

After having downloaded a font, how do I install it in ChessBase?

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Reply #8 - 07/18/11 at 09:03:26
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 07/17/11 at 21:05:59:
I tried for about about 20 minutes in CB and failed, then tried in Arena for less than 5 minutes and succeeded! Smiley

Wow, looks good! I've downloaded Arena and had a quick look at it (and yes, I've changed the fonts to "Chess Berlin"), and my first impression is very positive  Cheesy

TalJechin, again thanks for that!

Zwischenzugzwang

What do people mean when they say "Chess is the pawn of the soul"?

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Reply #7 - 07/18/11 at 07:25:56
Post Tools
Thanks for telling me that it was not only my stupidity that prevented me from succeeding!

TNich wrote on 07/17/11 at 21:00:13:
I know how to use different fonts in chessbase. Let me tell you it is not easy! You need a good font editing program. Chessbase only recognizes the default font files. In order to use other fonts you have to manually edit a chessbase font file by copying, pasting and aligning the new fonts in where the old fonts are(king for king, etc.).

Huh, that sounds deterrent! Fortunately I have some friends who don't share my attitude to computers (did I already mention that that sometimes tends to be a little bit negative ...?), so when I meet with them next time, we might have a wonderful computer session instead of drinking a horribly cold saturday afternoon beer, which is bad for the health anyway!  Cheesy

TalJechin wrote on 07/17/11 at 21:05:59:
I tried for about about 20 minutes in CB and failed, then tried in Arena for less than 5 minutes and succeeded! Smiley

The good news is that Arena is free to download and much more intuitive than CB, the bad news is that it only handles pgn and you may not want to change your database program.

Thank you for the hint. Certainly I'm reluctant to change my database program, but I definitely will have a look!

Probably I'll have no internet access for some days from tomorrow on, but if any of the forum members stumbles on this thread and has a nice, EASY (sorry, no shouting intended!) solution for my problem, please tell!

Have a nice week!

Zwischenzugzwang

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #6 - 07/17/11 at 21:05:59
Post Tools

The good news is that Arena is free to download and much more intuitive than CB, the bad news is that it only handles pgn and you may not want to change your database program. I mostly use it to try out engines that won't install properly in CB...

IP Logged

TNich

Reply #5 - 07/17/11 at 21:00:13
Post Tools
I know how to use different fonts in chessbase. Let me tell you it is not easy! You need a good font editing program. Chessbase only recognizes the default font files. In order to use other fonts you have to manually edit a chessbase font file by copying, pasting and aligning the new fonts in where the old fonts are(king for king, etc.).

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Reply #4 - 07/17/11 at 20:13:42
Post Tools
Oh, I hate computers!  Angry

The way you suggested doesn't seem to work. I managed to install the fonts (e.g. "Chess Berlin") on the computer, and I can tell Chessbase to use it for diagrams, for example, but the problem seems to be that the codings don't match. So for example a black knight on a white square in "ChessBase standard" might be a white queen on a black square in Chess Berlin, so I don't get the correct position. (I hope my writing is not too confusing!)

If I want to change the design of the board, ChessBase gives me some options for the pieces ("USCF", "Blindall", etc.), but I have no idea how I could add anything to this list at all.

So have you (or has anybody else) in fact managed to install a different piece set in the board window??

Best regards,

Zwischenzugzwang

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #3 - 07/17/11 at 12:52:01
Post Tools
Zwischenzugzwang wrote on 07/17/11 at 12:21:19:

I guess you should put the font in CB's font folder, and then go clicking Tools/Options/Notation/Font

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Reply #2 - 07/17/11 at 12:21:19
Post Tools

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #1 - 07/17/11 at 10:41:14
Post Tools
Zwischenzugzwang wrote on 07/17/11 at 10:30:56:
Hello everybody!

Does anybody know if (and where) there are downloadable fonts for different piece sets on the board in ChessBase? (I especially like the pieces in the diagrams in these old "Sportverlag" books, they are sometimes refered to as "Berlin", and I know they are downloadable as "normal" fonts one can use in a text processing program.)

Thanks in advance,

Zwischenzugzwang

I also have a soft spot for the Sportverlag font (but the older one, where the bishop had a feather in his cap - what's the name of that one?), though I've never bothered to try to use them. Anyway, here's link for ya: http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Fonts for ChessBase board?
07/17/11 at 10:30:56
Post Tools
Hello everybody!

Does anybody know if (and where) there are downloadable fonts for different piece sets on the board in ChessBase? (I especially like the pieces in the diagrams in these old "Sportverlag" books, they are sometimes refered to as "Berlin", and I know they are downloadable as "normal" fonts one can use in a text processing program.)

Thanks in advance,

Zwischenzugzwang

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo