Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spanish repertoire (Read 318687 times)
proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Re: Spanish repertoire
Reply #540 - 09/02/17 at 18:53:13
Post Tools
TN wrote on 08/22/17 at 19:45:03:
I only flicked through McDonald's book in a bookstall, but I can share the same experience of having a much better understanding from his explanations.

Btw, is there an index of the variations analysed in this repertoire thread? I'm thinking of creating one in about a month if the members agree it will be useful. For instance - I am tempted to share some analysis on MVL's Marshall Gambit approach and also the Bxc5 idea in the Breyer but don't exactly want to spend half an hour to check whether someone already covered the same ground.

I think it would be very useful.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #539 - 09/02/17 at 17:19:06
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 09/02/17 at 16:23:19:
He merged with the infinite.

Yes, I see. I am sorry to see of his passing. Almost 2 years ago to the day.  Cry

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #538 - 09/02/17 at 16:23:19
Post Tools
trw wrote on 09/02/17 at 16:02:11:
I only flicked through McDonald's book in a bookstall, but I can share the same experience of having a much better understanding from his explanations.

Btw, is there an index of the variations analysed in this repertoire thread? I'm thinking of creating one in about a month if the members agree it will be useful. For instance - I am tempted to share some analysis on MVL's Marshall Gambit approach and also the Bxc5 idea in the Breyer but don't exactly want to spend half an hour to check whether someone already covered the same ground.

I would enjoy it.

Stefan Buecker wrote on 08/29/17 at 08:02:53:
This repertoire thread has covered "lesser replies", with a number of good suggestions. The basic idea of Markovich (Mark Morss) was a += repertoire for White, and many have contributed to it. However, imo the thread has run its course. Tastes differ too much on how to treat 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6. One person's Marshall Attack is the other person's Exchange Variation, or Steenwijk or Central or ... whatever.

Whatever happened to Markovich?

He merged with the infinite.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #537 - 09/02/17 at 16:22:32
Post Tools
trw wrote on 09/02/17 at 16:02:11:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1441470190/50

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #536 - 09/02/17 at 16:02:11
Post Tools

I would enjoy it.

This repertoire thread has covered "lesser replies", with a number of good suggestions. The basic idea of Markovich (Mark Morss) was a += repertoire for White, and many have contributed to it. However, imo the thread has run its course. Tastes differ too much on how to treat 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6. One person's Marshall Attack is the other person's Exchange Variation, or Steenwijk or Central or ... whatever.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #535 - 08/29/17 at 22:44:11
Post Tools
Hi.

Btw, is there an index of the variations analysed in this repertoire thread?

Reply #265 is the latest PGN summary of all analysis. An up to date summary is always welcome of course but it is a lot of work.
I swiftly counted PGNs once (#463) but it gave mainly that there were quite few PGNs for a lot of lines.

I am tempted to share some analysis on MVL's Marshall Gambit approach and also the Bxc5 idea in the Breyer but don't exactly want to spend half an hour to check whether someone already covered the same ground.

Marshall summary in reply #525. Breyer not so much analysis yet.

Maybe going for analysis of a mainline is good at this point in the project. Might revitalise some interest.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #534 - 08/29/17 at 08:02:53
Post Tools

I'd much appreciate such an index. Personally I feel the theory of the Marshall Attack has become too vast, but occasionally I've looked at some lines.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #533 - 08/22/17 at 19:45:03
Post Tools

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #532 - 08/22/17 at 12:10:48
Post Tools
McDonald's The Ruy Lopez: Move by Move give gives two repertoures. One quick with d3 systems and one none d3 based.
I actually one read and used the d3 based. My undertstanding of Ruy Lopez positions incresed much by simply reading McDonald's intro chapter.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #531 - 08/22/17 at 05:54:22
Post Tools
The repertoire itself is certainly still valid, you'd just have to do some updating using a database and an engine in some of the sharper lines.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #530 - 08/22/17 at 00:34:32
Post Tools
I have the book Easy Guide to the Ruy Lopez by Emms. I think it's a nice little book and was wondering if it's still valid. And how does it compare to McDonald's The Ruy Lopez: Move by Move?

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #529 - 02/18/17 at 12:34:25
Post Tools
Hello.

TN wrote on 02/18/17 at 09:15:16:
Naturally the Berlin is the main challenge for the repertoire, but Vachier-Lagrave's recent Gibraltar games give food for thought in the Berlin endgame. There's also 5.Re1 as covered in Shirov's recent ChessBase DVD, and even the Spanish Four Knights has been scoring very well for White lately. I'm happy to discuss any of these directions if you have some new ideas for either colour.

Personally I am holding of analysing Spanish (pretty much all lines) until Negi publishes his 1.e4 e5 volume. Also I am not a Berliner Wink (so to speak)

Still. Vachier Lagrave Games Smiley:

Good results. Looked good as well. No idea if the games were theoretical (a4-a5-a6 in the Gupta game for example. I mean. is that a thing?).

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #528 - 02/18/17 at 09:15:16
Post Tools
Naturally the Berlin is the main challenge for the repertoire, but Vachier-Lagrave's recent Gibraltar games give food for thought in the Berlin endgame. There's also 5.Re1 as covered in Shirov's recent ChessBase DVD, and even the Spanish Four Knights has been scoring very well for White lately. I'm happy to discuss any of these directions if you have some new ideas for either colour.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #527 - 02/18/17 at 06:21:01
Post Tools
Hey.

fjd wrote on 12/17/16 at 15:50:59:
Has this project been abandoned? Has anyone collected current progress in a PGN?

Probably the lack of replies is indicative of things.

Anyway. In practice I would say the following can be be seen:
- The nature of this kind of project is that progress is made in spurts.
- Reaching += with all or almost all black attempts covered is truly difficult and analysis intensive even against relatively non mainline black setups.
- Interest for lines comes and goes.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #526 - 12/17/16 at 15:50:59
Post Tools
Has this project been abandoned? Has anyone collected current progress in a PGN?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo