Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Cambridge springs/ QGD / Semi-Slav sideline (Read 3793 times)
derdudea

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Cambridge springs/ QGD / Semi-Slav sideline
Reply #5 - 10/27/11 at 18:21:01
Post Tools
Thanks for the link, that´s exactly what I needed. Was not able to find it by myself.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #4 - 10/25/11 at 15:02:00
Post Tools
The recent thread fling was talking about is (I think) this: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1301435008

There's plenty of good suggestions.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 10/22/11 at 15:50:45
Post Tools
TN wrote on 10/22/11 at 13:57:26:
fling wrote on 10/22/11 at 13:08:18:
I don't think we came to a conclusion on the best way for White to continue, but since Black has played both ...c6 and ...e6, White has several options. One is indeed to go for a Karlsbad set-up, especially if Black tries to play with ...a6 also. The dark square weaknesses on the queenside might be pretty significant.

Schandorff recommends 6.e3 followed by 7. Bd3, but a more accurate move order may be 7. Qc2, with 8. Rd1 as a follow-up. There is a pretty recent thread on this.

8.0-0-0 was also pretty good as indicated by MNb.

Yes, that is true, forgot about that. This is one reason it is usually considered more accurate for Black to wait with ...c6 in the Exchange variation until White has shown where to castle, because after 0-0-0 a normal plan is ...Rc8 and ...c5.

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 10/22/11 at 13:57:26
Post Tools
fling wrote on 10/22/11 at 13:08:18:
I don't think we came to a conclusion on the best way for White to continue, but since Black has played both ...c6 and ...e6, White has several options. One is indeed to go for a Karlsbad set-up, especially if Black tries to play with ...a6 also. The dark square weaknesses on the queenside might be pretty significant.

Schandorff recommends 6.e3 followed by 7. Bd3, but a more accurate move order may be 7. Qc2, with 8. Rd1 as a follow-up. There is a pretty recent thread on this.

8.0-0-0 was also pretty good as indicated by MNb.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 10/22/11 at 13:08:18
Post Tools

IP Logged

derdudea

I Love ChessPublishing!

Cambridge springs/ QGD / Semi-Slav sideline
10/22/11 at 12:44:41
Post Tools
I´m preparing to play the 5.Bg5 Semi-Slav and here Black can play

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 e6 5.Bg5 Nbd7 which converts into the QGD-Cambridge-Springs system. Amateur players (let´s say below 2000) play this more often than those sharp Botwinnik/Anti-Moscow - lines.

What strikes me is that 5...Be7 is as often played as 5...Nbd7 by club players, but very rarely by grandmasters.

What would you recommend against this line full of possible transpositions to various QGD-lines? I would welcome transpositions to the QGD Exchange, which I play with White for years, but not to other QGD-mainlines.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo