Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C00-C19: Qualitychess book on the French (Read 23642 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: C00-C19: Qualitychess book on the French
Reply #40 - 07/28/13 at 13:30:51
Post Tools
winawer77 wrote on 07/28/13 at 07:38:01:
I do hope that the book covers 3.Nd2 c5 3.exd5 exd5. So many books cover the ...Qxd5 lines and I'd prefer something a little more classical.

One thing I've never seen, though, is a complete repertoire based on ...Nc6. I've been playing this move against 3.Nd2 and 3.Nc3 for a few years now, with fantastic results. To complete the repertoire ...Nc6 is also possible against the KIA and Exchange variations. The only move that it's not possible against is 3.e5 but Black's play is strong in both ...Qb6 and ...Bd7 lines.

I'd love to see this, or I could just go ahead and create my own book. Smiley

Depending on your level, this may be worth a try!

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #39 - 07/28/13 at 07:38:01
Post Tools
I do hope that the book covers 3.Nd2 c5 3.exd5 exd5. So many books cover the ...Qxd5 lines and I'd prefer something a little more classical.

One thing I've never seen, though, is a complete repertoire based on ...Nc6. I've been playing this move against 3.Nd2 and 3.Nc3 for a few years now, with fantastic results. To complete the repertoire ...Nc6 is also possible against the KIA and Exchange variations. The only move that it's not possible against is 3.e5 but Black's play is strong in both ...Qb6 and ...Bd7 lines.

I'd love to see this, or I could just go ahead and create my own book. Smiley

IP Logged

Arnaudov
YaBB Newbies

Magnus Carlsen has never
beaten me in a chess
game

Reply #38 - 06/11/13 at 17:12:38
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 06/01/13 at 14:38:12:
Nikos choses classical against 3.Nc3, and c5 against 3.Nd2.

That cinches it for me. Though I am intrigued by the Winawer, when it comes to OTB I prefer the classical lines.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #37 - 06/01/13 at 14:38:12
Post Tools
Berg uses some aggressive aproaches with Black (Winawer and Nf6 against Tarrasch). Nikos choses classical against 3.Nc3, and c5 against 3.Nd2. No idea against advance, exchange or offbeat lines.

So even if there's maybe some overlap (impossible avoiding it 100%), the idea was not to do so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

IP Logged

chessy

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #36 - 06/01/13 at 08:32:12
Post Tools
Qualitychess seems to write many books about the french...
not that i mind, actually i am happy about that fact and i love the qualitychessbooks but still... wondering a little about the marketing concept?

a book by Aagaard/Ntirlis and a 2Volume by Berg? A French devotee would bay either book, but will he buy both books?

I am sure they wont writte 2 books about the same lines but still... I am curious about how they will spilt the content???

.. and what Playing 1.e4 - Sicilian & French by John Shaw will have as an answer????

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #35 - 04/25/13 at 13:08:37
Post Tools
In the Tarrasch 3.Nd2 c5 almost every major theoretical line gives White excellent chances for a small advantage. 4.Ngf3 or 4.exd5 Qxd5 (4...exd5 is discussed in the book, but mainly to state the reason why it is not recommended for our readers) and now both 5.dxc5 and 5.Ngf3. Hopefully the readers will find the explanations offered about the pawn structure and the typical ideas of both sides usefull.

My conclusion for 5.dxc5 is that Black has to base his play on a small number of typical set-ups (basically 2 but with another one being close to equality as well) which unfortunately also contain a (small) number of important nuances about the move order. So, despite the fact that these positions are mainly played with understanding what is going on, you have to learn some theory as well. I consider some old games by Tal and Karpov (different openings but same structure!) very instructive and they will find their role in the book. I won't reveal more on this!  Smiley

@Stigma:

That's why Black has to avoid the above scenario by playing a quick a6-b5 and try to be more active.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #34 - 04/25/13 at 12:53:44
Post Tools
No need for me to give it up then! Actually I still play the Tarrasch via 1.d4 e6 2.e4 now and then.

I think this is the Nunn game I was referring to; White plays dxc5 a bit later, after Black's probably inaccurate combination of 4...Nc6 and 5...Qxd5. But obviously the lines could transpose. There was also some discussion of dxc5 in The Seven Deadly Chess Sins by Rowson.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #33 - 04/25/13 at 12:37:02
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 04/25/13 at 09:56:45:
Interesting. 5.dxc5 was my repertoire move when I was a 1.e4 player, partly because I was impressed with a famous game in one of Nunn's best games collections (with the same structure but a different move order iirc).

But I always thought I was merely avoiding lots of theory with an offbeat line. Are you guys now saying it's a serious try for advantage?

Black may finally equalize, but there is no trivial road to complete equality. Very good practical weapon for white cutting a lot of theory.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #32 - 04/25/13 at 09:56:45
Post Tools
Interesting. 5.dxc5 was my repertoire move when I was a 1.e4 player, partly because I was impressed with a famous game in one of Nunn's best games collections (with the same structure but a different move order iirc).

But I always thought I was merely avoiding lots of theory with an offbeat line. Are you guys now saying it's a serious try for advantage?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #31 - 04/25/13 at 09:22:08
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 04/25/13 at 05:15:06:
tony37 wrote on 04/24/13 at 21:03:59:
I thought it was going to be Qxd5 in the Tarrasch

I think you're right.  Cry Angry

Oh well. Having searched again through the QC blog, I've found that indeed exd5 will not be the repertoire choice.
Pity really, considering I just don't believe in Black after 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.dxc5....I don't think such positions are why I play the French.

Funny. I have recently studied 5.dc. I think it is underrated. Best is probably 5.-Qxc5 assuming white is not playing 6.Ne4 Wink

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #30 - 04/25/13 at 05:15:06
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 04/24/13 at 21:03:59:

I think you're right.  Cry Angry

Oh well. Having searched again through the QC blog, I've found that indeed exd5 will not be the repertoire choice.
Pity really, considering I just don't believe in Black after 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.dxc5....I don't think such positions are why I play the French.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 04/24/13 at 21:03:59
Post Tools

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #28 - 04/24/13 at 20:31:47
Post Tools
I can't wait for the Nikos book, especially with coverage of the 3...c5 and exd5 Tarrasch!

I can't bite my tongue any longer though... I have to ask, what (after 3.Nc3 Nf6) will be Black's proposed solution to the Alekhine-Chatard attack?

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #27 - 04/20/13 at 07:42:55
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 04/19/13 at 20:35:19:
I am not sure if 3...Nf6 is "more sound" or "better". Probably it isn't. I was a Winawer fun all the way from my first French Defense experiences. I was "forced" to study 3...Nf6 seriously for the first time in my life because of this book.

OK. ...maybe Bobby Fischers classical statement over the Winawer is ringing in my head but lets agree that 3...Nf6 is at least less messy and complicated and unclear than the winawer. And also I would add less difficult to play. Not really so tactical in nature (if you dont play the MacCutcheon).

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #26 - 04/19/13 at 20:35:19
Post Tools
I am not sure if 3...Nf6 is "more sound" or "better". Probably it isn't. I was a Winawer fun all the way from my first French Defense experiences. I was "forced" to study 3...Nf6 seriously for the first time in my life because of this book.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo