Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I am going to learn Alekhine defense (Read 20388 times)
STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: I am going to learn Alekhine defense
Reply #20 - 01/17/12 at 11:10:13
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/16/12 at 02:40:58:
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 01/15/12 at 05:18:38:
I think the Vienna should be one of the last concerns for an Alekhine player. Just play the Vienna and avoid 1. e4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5. I think it frustrates 2. Nc3 players more than the 2...d4 line.

Well who knows what frustrates any given player?

I have no doubt at all that 2...e5 is objectively best, but a case can be made for 2...d5 on practical grounds. It't not only the Vienna that you have to face if you play 2...e5, for one thing.

But I was hoping to hear opinions of 2...d5 3.e5 Ne4 4.Nce2 f6, which, as I said, I've been looking at.

Markovich,
I agree with your comment to what frustrates a player, everything in life is a matter of taste and same applies and to chess. Concerning the variation  you mentioned- also Kam replied to this and gave a game of Vaganian- I have the feeling that not only I play the Mokele Mbembe  but also I play against the most promising line for white, Mr. Boecker wrote some nice articles on that in the cjhesscafe site. I played some blitz games  against Komodo and Houdini and got the same feeling.

IP Logged

Kam

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 01/16/12 at 09:10:18
Post Tools
I have been looking at a virtually forgotten line

1.e4 Nf6  2.Nc3 d5  3.e5 Ne4  4.Nce2 f6  5.d3 Ng5
6.Bxg5 fxg5 7.h4 g4  8.Nf4 d4.  9.g3  c6   (Dombrovolsky 2405 –Vaganian  2615) Bundelsliga 9293 [3]  1993. 

I recommend 9… Nc6 10.e6 h5  10.Bg2 Qd6 etc.
Black gets the desired unbalanced position, good counterplay
and I cannot see how white can get an advantage.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #18 - 01/16/12 at 02:40:58
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 01/15/12 at 05:18:38:
I think the Vienna should be one of the last concerns for an Alekhine player. Just play the Vienna and avoid 1. e4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5. I think it frustrates 2. Nc3 players more than the 2...d4 line.

Well who knows what frustrates any given player?

I have no doubt at all that 2...e5 is objectively best, but a case can be made for 2...d5 on practical grounds. It't not only the Vienna that you have to face if you play 2...e5, for one thing.

But I was hoping to hear opinions of 2...d5 3.e5 Ne4 4.Nce2 f6, which, as I said, I've been looking at.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #17 - 01/15/12 at 05:18:38
Post Tools

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #16 - 01/15/12 at 03:49:51
Post Tools
SWJediknight wrote on 01/14/12 at 15:53:38:
Some think White has good chances of an edge after 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e5.  White can also try to transpose to a Blackmar-Diemer with 3.d4.

To my knowledge Black is able to reach a dynamic equality against all lines of the 2...Nf6 Vienna: 2...e5 3.Bc4 Nc6 4.d3 Bb4, 3.f4 d5, 3.g3 Nc6 4.Nf3 d5 etc.

Lately I've been looking at 3.e5 Ne4 4.Ne2 f6, which is disfavored by theory, without seeing anything very impressive for White. Further I think that 3...Nfd7, While difficult to play well, is probably OK for Black.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #15 - 01/14/12 at 15:53:38
Post Tools
Some think White has good chances of an edge after 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e5.  White can also try to transpose to a Blackmar-Diemer with 3.d4.

To my knowledge Black is able to reach a dynamic equality against all lines of the 2...Nf6 Vienna: 2...e5 3.Bc4 Nc6 4.d3 Bb4, 3.f4 d5, 3.g3 Nc6 4.Nf3 d5 etc.

IP Logged

Bresando

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 01/13/12 at 23:44:05
Post Tools
I'm ok with people playing 2.Nc3 (e5), the vienna can be fun, these guys are often not really prepared (thay just want to avoid the alekhine for something more "normal")), and playing an healthy dose of open games can't hurt your chess right?

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #13 - 01/13/12 at 18:35:49
Post Tools
2 Nc3 against the Alekhine can certainly be tedious. There's always the Pirc with 2 ...d6 3 d4 g6. But how about 3 ...Nc6!? here for an interesting offbeat try? It's done OK in practice, and you're unlikely to die of boredom ...

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #12 - 01/12/12 at 12:39:32
Post Tools
raja wrote on 01/02/12 at 05:48:34:
Hi guys for long i have been thinking what to play to be able to win against e4

I first studied e4 e5  it was good ...i got same space as white so i liked it but later i found that most of time i got symmetrical structure so i dropped it.

Then i moved to  sicilian it was good also but too theoritical so i had to leave.

Then i learnt caro-cann  its superb and still its my main repertoire but the problem is that its difficult to play for a win in the Nc3 classical line and those who know that i play caro they simply play the Nc3 caro cann main line and i end up drawing at best.

Now i am thinking to play Alekhine defense and i heard that its not only  a defense but also an counter attack from the very first move also it does not give symettrical position and gives me a chance to fight from the very beginning.

Guys tell me more about ALekhine defense and is it a good choice to win against players under 2000 level?and also recommend some good books on this subject please Smiley

For more information, you could have a look at the following threads:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1220353251/0
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1158540272/0
I have played the Alekhine for more than three years now and I am quite happy with the results (15 wins, 7 draws and 5 lost games or nearly 69%!)
As I said in another thread, black can be regularly a bit worse out of the opening but white has a lot of possibilities to go wrong and practice at my level (1800-2000) seems to confirm this.
Cox's book is my main reference. I also regularly consult Bagirov's book (a bit dated but the ideas are still actual) and having a look at chessgames.com or the New in Chess database wouldn't hurt neither.
Bogdanov and Taylor made interesting books but I use them more a complement to the other sources.
Against 4.Nf3, I play the Alburt (where I regularly get under pressure and where even regularly my opponents ends up overpushing and losing  Wink ), against the exchange variation, I play cxd6 and later Bf5 in place of e5 (playing e5 against a better player in the Voronezh is nearly suicidal), against the four pawns I go for dxe5, Nc6 and Bf5 or g4 and against 2.Nc3 I opt for d5 which most often leads to a French Steinitz.
Most of my opponents chose for Nf3, the exchange variation with an early Nf3 (the Voronezh is not so popular) or 2. Nc3.
The four pawns attack and "rare second moves" do nearly never occur.

About playing the Alekhine, I would say it is quite funny for so far you like provoking white and creating counterplay. You must well be a bit patient before starting to attack.
The positions arising from the Alekhine are not really usual and I think this can be a practical advantage for the black player once he has some experience.
However "healthy thinking" often helps in the Alekhine, in some variations it is nearly mandatory to know the theory quite good if you want to avoid losing in 15 moves (mostly in the Alburt). Another thing you should learn is when you have to play e5 and when d5 (mostly in the exchange variation).
And as in the Dutch (Leningrad), you should always try to find out some tactical blows. White will often stay optically better but the position can already be lost for him!

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

glut
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 01/11/12 at 12:56:51
Post Tools
I agree that, if you are willing to yield opening space, the Modern/Pirc is currently a more interesting try - playing Alekhines vs sub-2000 opposition you will encounter a lot of 2Nc3, and it was that (not the exchange or main line) I grew tired of in the end (Alekhines was my principal over the board defence for 10 or so years).

IP Logged

Bresando

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 01/10/12 at 09:32:37
Post Tools
the exd6 exchange has always looked depressing to me, rather than playing this sort of Petroff i would drop the Alekhine. Since the opener is looking for an imbalancing defence against inferior opposition he has to play cxd6 in my view. Is the voronezh really so desperate for black, expecially for the average club player? An interesting Bf5 idea was explored on this site, one line involving an unclear bishop sac, and also a5 lines deserve exploration.

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 01/10/12 at 08:53:53
Post Tools
Kenglis it is more easy  to play over board, Modern and Pirc are very complicated openings and needs very good calculation for both sides, but especially for black. I believe they are for players over 2300+. Now in the exchange I prefer exd6 rather than cxd6, because of the Voronezh, where white has an easy game and black has to cope with lots of difficulties to reach an equal game. The reason I stopped to play Alekhine, was that over the board I fed up to play against the 1.e4 Nf6,2.e5 Nd5,3.Nc3 where despite what theory says it is very enjoyable to have the white side.Also after 1.e4 Nf6,2.Nc3 the better you have to do is to transpose to Vienna game after 2...e5 then it is not I like !!!

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 01/10/12 at 04:30:19
Post Tools
question: Why play Alekines when in the exchange you should play exd6 and not cxd6?  The exchange is recommened in a lot of books and it seems to take away a lot  of the dynamism from the defence.  Why not Pirc or modern, similar idea fight against the white center??/
Zatara

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 01/09/12 at 15:42:08
Post Tools
For me,
You should read first : Cox's book "Starting out:The Alekhine Defence" and Bogdanov's book also. Then check and Taylor's book. My suggestion for a possible repertoire :
1.Against the Modern , play the Kenglis or the Alburt Variation.
2.Against four panwns the not cutting with dxe5, but play g6 instead ( Taylor covers the system on his book).
3.Against the exchange play exd6.

IP Logged

dimis
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/08/12 at 22:27:22
Post Tools
My fault,I was talking about  Bogdanov book Play the Alekhine defense.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo