Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Book on Scheveningen (Read 32671 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: New Book on Scheveningen
Reply #15 - 02/19/12 at 22:34:52
Post Tools
Is 6...h6 going to be recommended for the Keres?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #14 - 02/19/12 at 21:56:59
Post Tools
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 e6 7.g4 h5
a) 8.g5 101 games, White scoring 63%.
b) 8.gxh5 37 games, 51%.

Also Pelletier writes in his (CB) annotations of Senff-Pelletier, 2000 that 8.g5 is better than 8.gxh5.
Anyhow, this thread is about the Scheveningen. Then 8.g5 looks inferior exactly because of that Be7.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 02/19/12 at 21:16:06
Post Tools
Almost certainly isn't actually Smiley Ng4 surely pretty effective with g5 hanging and Nxe3 threatened?

8 gxh5 seems critical, and might work better than when black has a6 in instead. Although I don't think that can be so bad.

Black is after all a whole tempo up on the Keres main line of 6 g4 h6 7 h4 Nc6 8 Rg1 h5 9 gh . Yes perhaps Be7 isn't urgent, and Be3 more useful than either of h4/Rg1 but still Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 02/19/12 at 20:58:00
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 02/19/12 at 13:06:25:
One thought: if 7.. h5 is OK in the Nardojf move order vs 6 Be3 e6 7 g4 then surely it has to be at least plausible here?

No terribly obvious reason for Be7 to be less useful than a6, although of course the specifics could make it so.
Interesting thought that can be reversed: if after 6.Be3 Be7 7.g4 h5 Black is going to play ...a6 anyway the quesion is if Be7 hasn't limited his/her options.
Comparing is tricky anyway. With the pawn on a6 the critical response seems to be 8.g5, which might not be the case after 6...Be7.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #11 - 02/19/12 at 19:54:44
Post Tools
spagh3tti wrote on 02/19/12 at 16:45:37:
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 02/18/12 at 08:31:46:
I suppose the difference between the disadvantages of the Scheveningen and Najdorf move-orders is that Black must play against the Keres in the Scheveningen and the 6. Bg5 variation in the Najdorf. I find that most 1. e4 players are not too prepared to play against the Scheveningen, so perhaps this is also an advantage in playing it.

I also have the impression that white players simply assume that the scheveningen wont be played because of g4, but they arent really prepared for it, and it could be a good practical choice for a prepared black player.

I think that was what happened when I lost to Karavade. I had to resign before move 30...

IP Logged

spagh3tti

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 02/19/12 at 16:45:37
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 02/18/12 at 08:31:46:
I suppose the difference between the disadvantages of the Scheveningen and Najdorf move-orders is that Black must play against the Keres in the Scheveningen and the 6. Bg5 variation in the Najdorf. I find that most 1. e4 players are not too prepared to play against the Scheveningen, so perhaps this is also an advantage in playing it.

I also have the impression that white players simply assume that the scheveningen wont be played because of g4, but they arent really prepared for it, and it could be a good practical choice for a prepared black player.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/19/12 at 13:06:25
Post Tools
One thought: if 7.. h5 is OK in the Nardojf move order vs 6 Be3 e6 7 g4 then surely it has to be at least plausible here?

No terribly obvious reason for Be7 to be less useful than a6, although of course the specifics could make it so.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #8 - 02/19/12 at 12:57:27
Post Tools
One of my questions about the Scheveningen move order is whether, after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 d6 6.Be3, the move 6...Be7 can be played. I am sure that the new book will recommend 6...a6, that being a la mode, but I want to be able to play the Scheveningen without this move so early. 6...Nc6 is one way, but one then has to defend the Sozin/Velimirovic. It would be nice to avoid that.

Yet 6...Be7 7.g4 h6 is regarded by some as worse for Black than 6.  g4 h6. I would like to know if that is true, and why. For the reason I said, I don't expect to find the answer in this book. If some good soul would address this question, I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 02/19/12 at 14:19:47 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #7 - 02/19/12 at 00:37:18
Post Tools
I assume that most Scheveningen move-order players do not play 5...e6 6. Bg5 a6!?. But in the introduction in the excerpt since lines with ...a6 are recommended, I wonder how some of the lines will compare with Pritchett's Starting Out: Sicilian Scheveningen book.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 02/18/12 at 09:21:41
Post Tools
Oh no. There's also being committed to a6 or not. Or if via e6/Nc6/d6 instead then commited to Nc6 or not Smiley

Heaving a6 in makes Bc4 markedly harder (if still OK) and Be2 much sharper. Having Nc6 in makes Bc4 trickier and is notably restrictive vs the English attack etc.

Up to some level the lack of preparation is no doubt true. Although if they're used to stuff like the English attack unsure quite how different the quieter approaches to the Keres are.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/12 at 08:31:46
Post Tools

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 02/18/12 at 03:07:50
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 02/18/12 at 01:09:42:
With regards to the Keres Attack, when I used to play 1. e4, I played the Keres against Eesha Karavade in 2008 and I was lost in the first 20 moves. If I remember correctly it was 6. g4 h6. Obviously I must have made serious mistakes in the game, but I am wondering about the status of the line itself. I always had the impression that the Keres Attack refuted the Scheveningen move-order and caused Najdorf move-order to be used instead.

The Keres Attack is challenging, but not a refutation.  There are plenty of strong GMs willing to play the Scheveningen move-order.   Wink

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/18/12 at 01:09:42
Post Tools
With regards to the Keres Attack, when I used to play 1. e4, I played the Keres against Eesha Karavade in 2008 and I was lost in the first 20 moves. If I remember correctly it was 6. g4 h6. Obviously I must have made serious mistakes in the game, but I am wondering about the status of the line itself. I always had the impression that the Keres Attack refuted the Scheveningen move-order and caused Najdorf move-order to be used instead.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/17/12 at 10:14:54
Post Tools
I think trending towards being viewed as a bit less critical recently? Maybe part of that due to the English attack.

Of course the book itself would be very useful even if the Keres happened to win by force Wink There's so many other ways to get these positions and they really are fundamental to the Sicilian.

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #1 - 02/17/12 at 10:01:42
Post Tools
I am really looking forward to this book. Lorin is concentrating on lines with ...a6, so it will be interesting to see how his recommendations compare with Ftacnik's in his book on the Najdorf - I presume the forthcoming update to GM Rep 6 will continue to go mostly with ...e6 rather then ...e5 lines.

Personally I have never felt under more pressure from 6. g4 than from the other main lines for white. I play 6...h6 and get normal Sicilian positions; the games I've lost haven't been because of the opening.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo