Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Scandinavian vs Caro Kann (Read 8227 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: Scandinavian vs Caro Kann
Reply #4 - 04/09/12 at 00:25:04
Post Tools
I used to play 1. e4, and in the Caro-Kann, the queen does not usually make multiple moves around the board, and it seems as if Black gets to complete development more quickly in the Caro-Kann than Scandinavian. Also in the Main Line Caro-Kann, the light squared bishops are traded, which is a goal of both openings but occurs only in the main line of the Caro-Kann, whlist in the Scandinavian usually the light squared bishops are still present.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/12 at 00:17:50
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 04/08/12 at 17:45:52:
Being a 1 e4 player, in my experience it its easier for white to get an advantage in Scandinavian than it is in the Caro-Kann. Caro-Kann Bf5 often leeds to endgames and in Scandianvian white has chanses for the initiative in middlegames.

This is exactly how I feel only perhaps even more strongly.  I had thought about trying out the Scandinavian after many years (although I only played it a few games) I felt as though I found very dangerous White tries against all of the major White systems. 

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #2 - 04/08/12 at 17:45:52
Post Tools
Being a 1 e4 player, in my experience it its easier for white to get an advantage in Scandinavian than it is in the Caro-Kann. Caro-Kann Bf5 often leeds to endgames and in Scandianvian white has chanses for the initiative in middlegames.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/08/12 at 00:43:50
Post Tools

Perhaps because White is allowed to push the kingside pawns earlier than in the Caro-Kann, but I think the main reason is the queen is moving on move 2 rather than move 11.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Scandinavian vs Caro Kann
04/07/12 at 13:39:53
Post Tools
As I understand it main line Scandinavian is similar to a bf5 caro Kann . so could someone explain to me what are the reasons to play caro Kann instead of Scandinavian which seems to cut out the other lines like advance caro and panov

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo