Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Which set up do 2...e6 Sicilian players prefer? (Read 3468 times)
Michael Wilde

Re: Which set up do 2...e6 Sicilian players prefer?
Reply #8 - 11/10/12 at 00:43:55
Post Tools
@IsaVulpes

I have used this line,  and Nf6 too.  The line you mentioned seems fine to me and gives black a nice open game with plently of counterplay.

I have been playing 2.d6 more often lately leading to the Najdorf, but keeping 2...e6 as a back up...

Thanks

Smiley

"Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone."-Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

IsaVulpes
YaBB Newbies

No.

Reply #7 - 11/09/12 at 02:54:58
Post Tools
I'm using http://hem.passagen.se/tjmisha/unboringc3.html this, but I'm not sure whether it's still theoretically sound. At my level anything goes and this promises good play - but if you're high rated, you might wanna run your own analysis on it.

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #6 - 08/27/12 at 22:06:57
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 08/27/12 at 16:54:39:
Actually, I generally meet 2.Nc3 with 2...e6 as well, heading for a Taimanov/Kan and meeting 3.f4 with the immediate 3...d5, not putting the Knight on c6 just yet, etc. 

There are a lot of ways to deal with anti-Sicilians, and I think that if you're an "...e6 Sicilian player" you have many more options than a Najdorf player, for instance.  You'll just have to find what suits you. 

I think that an early ...e6 often leaves White feeling a little uncomfortable, for instance if he's a Grand Prix, Rossolimo/Moscow, or Closed Sicilian player.  We don't put the Knight on c6 just yet and that limits his options tremendously; White can't play on autopilot and reach his standard piece formations after things like 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.f4 d5, 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.g3 d5, 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c3 Ne7!?, etc.  Rossolimo players will have to try some kind of waiting move, perhaps 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 or 3.b3, neither of which is entirely optimal (though both are entirely playable, of course).    

Thanks for the advice, even though I have been playing 2. ...e6 for a short while I already notice that a lot of Anti-Sicilian players are not comfortable or happy to see 2. ...e6 and there is a pause.  Also I see more open Siclians as a cause of this, many times I have played in blitz 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 and then comes 3.Nf3 followed by an open
Siclian.  I do like playing against the Anti's with e6 but like you said will take me a little while to find lines that suit me.
The lines you mentions above will help me get started while I build a rep.

Thanks!

Smiley

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 08/27/12 at 16:54:39
Post Tools
Actually, I generally meet 2.Nc3 with 2...e6 as well, heading for a Taimanov/Kan and meeting 3.f4 with the immediate 3...d5, not putting the Knight on c6 just yet, etc. 

There are a lot of ways to deal with anti-Sicilians, and I think that if you're an "...e6 Sicilian player" you have many more options than a Najdorf player, for instance.  You'll just have to find what suits you. 

I think that an early ...e6 often leaves White feeling a little uncomfortable, for instance if he's a Grand Prix, Rossolimo/Moscow, or Closed Sicilian player.  We don't put the Knight on c6 just yet and that limits his options tremendously; White can't play on autopilot and reach his standard piece formations after things like 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.f4 d5, 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.g3 d5, 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c3 Ne7!?, etc.  Rossolimo players will have to try some kind of waiting move, perhaps 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 or 3.b3, neither of which is entirely optimal (though both are entirely playable, of course).    

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #4 - 08/27/12 at 08:55:34
Post Tools
fling wrote on 08/27/12 at 08:42:55:
I agree, I also see the "Delayed" Alapin in blitz. I have answered 2.c3 with ...Nf6, which means I can also play the same against the delayed. However, I think ...d5 might be a more fighting option. But I actually find the French even more a fighting option when it comes to the early deviations Smiley

I wonder why the delayed is so popular, what book suggests it for white?, I see it a lot.  I also play 2. ...Nf6 against the 2.c3 Sicilian so it could be appealing to play this against the DA.  Also I play 3.Nf6 against the Morra so I like this move, but d5 is also very appealing, will have to try out both and see which better suits my style

Thanks!

Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/27/12 at 08:42:55
Post Tools
I agree, I also see the "Delayed" Alapin in blitz. I have answered 2.c3 with ...Nf6, which means I can also play the same against the delayed. However, I think ...d5 might be a more fighting option. But I actually find the French even more a fighting option when it comes to the early deviations Smiley

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #2 - 08/27/12 at 07:58:16
Post Tools
Thanks...

I have the Nf6 line from the book Anti-Siclians a guide for black 2003, and the 3. ...d5 line from Experts vs. the Siclian Quality chess.

Playing the Najdorf move order I was playing the 3. ...Nf6 line, so this was my first try but Experts vs. the Sicilian has excellent coverage of 3. ...d5 so I may try this move out.  Also feels natural to play d5 after e6 if allowed.

Playing the Najdorf and the Anti Sicilains was easy with GM6 the Siclian, but now I have to learn the Anti Siclian lines against 2. ...e6, I am pretty sure that most of it I can find in Experts vs. Sicilian and it is the most recent book.

Although what to you play against the closed if 2.Nc3 than 2. ...Nc6  instead of 2. ...e6 correct ? 

and I see 3.b3, not sure yet how to handle that yet, will have to look at some databases.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Smiley

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 08/27/12 at 07:14:19
Post Tools
I usually play 3...d5, but have also dabbled with 3...Ne7!?, a move worth investigating in my opinion.

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Which set up do 2...e6 Sicilian players prefer?
08/27/12 at 01:05:01
Post Tools
Which set up do 2...e6 Sicilian players prefer againt the  Delayed Alapin?  Which do you think give black better chances?  Asking because I just recently took up the Taiminov...

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. c3 d5

or

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. c3 Nf6

See the Delayed Alapin a lot especailly in blitz.

Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top