Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Catalan suited below 2000? (Read 59057 times)
TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Re: Catalan suited below 2000?
Reply #18 - 09/27/12 at 17:41:25
Post Tools
TUNO NEGRO wrote on 09/27/12 at 17:09:18:
Bologan's is as positional as Wojos? Active lines?
Thanks!

Send from my hands Smiley

I am not that in to it to determine if that is the case. They have some lines in common but I think much more lines are different. Like I said before, Bologan has much more in common with Avrukh.

IP Logged

TUNO NEGRO
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 09/27/12 at 17:09:18
Post Tools
Bologan's is as positional as Wojos? Active lines?
Thanks!

Send from my hands Smiley

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #16 - 09/27/12 at 13:28:45
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/21/12 at 16:28:49:
@TD, do you have the Bologan book? How is it? Same as CB DVD or different? is the layout better or just as bad as The modern French and the Sokolov's book The strategic NID? and how does the book compare with Avrukh's GM Rep 1 d4 books?

I received the book yesterday and it looks very good. I don't know the books you mentioned, but I have Bologan's Chebanenko book which has the same layout and quality.
It is much better than the DVD with obviously much more detail, but as far as I have seen it covers the same repertoire plus extra variations. He refers to Avrukh a lot, but doesn't always agree with him. Bologan is very good in his explanations, which Avrukh doesn't have a lot.
The only small obstacle I think is the usage of A2223) and A23522 etc. which makes you sometimes wonder where you are in all those variation.
Conclusion: I find it a very good addition to my Catalan-library.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #15 - 09/21/12 at 17:20:16
Post Tools
I ordered it. I expect to have it on wednesday.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #14 - 09/21/12 at 16:44:01
Post Tools
There's a small sample at New in Chess.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #13 - 09/21/12 at 16:28:49
Post Tools
@TD, do you have the Bologan book? How is it? Same as CB DVD or different? is the layout better or just as bad as The modern French and the Sokolov's book The strategic NID? and how does the book compare with Avrukh's GM Rep 1 d4 books?

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #12 - 09/21/12 at 13:57:02
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/21/12 at 12:20:16:
Look at what turned up for the holiday season:
http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=975&utm_campaign=cv...

Not that I am saying this book is suitable for U2000, no sirreee, no but it will be interesting to compare with Avrukh as well as Bologan's CB DVD.

I ordered it already, although I am below 2000! Wink Even though I may not play the Catalan very much or at a good level, I indeed have great fun comparing the book to my other Catalan sources (like Avrukh, Hilton & Ippolito, Bologan and others).

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #11 - 09/21/12 at 12:20:16
Post Tools
Look at what turned up for the holiday season:
http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=975&utm_campaign=cv...

Not that I am saying this book is suitable for U2000, no sirreee, no but it will be interesting to compare with Avrukh as well as Bologan's CB DVD.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 09/21/12 at 09:25:54
Post Tools
In fact I think most of the people would agree to a fair degree anyway Smiley The key thing that turns up in those discussions is that is utterly key that people get a good grounding in tactics in open positions, which you don't seem to dispute.

In terms of being too sophisticated the thing I have seen suggested that seems to make sense is that some white openings which trade off short term activity etc for long term advantages just don't make sense below a certain level.

The chance of an accident due to the activity goes up, while the chance of managing to exploit the favourable late middlegame/endgame goes down.

I think that's more relevant for certain Nimzo lines and the like though. The Catalan does at least get white developed fast with a solid base in the center etc. It can of course also lead to some very sharp gambit play.
(Maybe a better way to play it at lower levels than some of Kramnik's quieter ideas.).
« Last Edit: 09/21/12 at 12:31:24 by MartinC »  

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #9 - 09/21/12 at 09:11:31
Post Tools
No problem Smiley

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 09/20/12 at 23:41:15
Post Tools
I apologize if my tone was harsh; I'm having a terrible couple of weeks here.  Still, that's my opinion--too bad we can't discuss it in a real pub!

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #7 - 09/20/12 at 20:51:11
Post Tools
I agree with both of you.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #6 - 09/20/12 at 19:56:13
Post Tools
As I alluded in my previous post, I'm not one of those posters who is going to man the barricades over this issue Smiley so, if it works for you, great...fortunately for all of us, there are no hard and fast rules in chess.

'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 09/20/12 at 15:43:01
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 09/20/12 at 14:43:47:
Yes, I mean 'hinders'...but this is such a broad topic that has been discussed in many forum threads, so I don't want to derail your thread by getting too deeply into it here. Some posters seem to feel very strongly about the topic, and there have been a few fights...

I think in general you would be better off playing an opening that pursues more concrete objectives. This helps one to improve. Form plan ---> execute plan ---->prevent opponent executing his plan; that's good chess. Shuffling your pieces around delicately pretending you have an edge Catalan-style will not do much for your chess, in my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more.  Sure, I'm not that strong of a player, but I started playing the Catalan at 1600 or so and I don't think it's stunted my development.  I'm now rated 2189, which is pretty good considering I came to the game as a college student, joined the military, have worked a full time job, etc. etc. in all that time.

The idea that the Catalan involves "shuffling your pieces around pretending you have an edge" is ridiculous.  The idea that it is overly-refined is ludicrous.  Are there refined ways of playing?  Of course.  Are there straightforward ones?  Of course.  Do many lines of the Ruy Lopez involve "shuffling your pieces around pretending you have an edge?"  Of course; that's called playing chess in an equalish position.  Does the Catalan allow you to "form plan ---> execute plan ---->prevent opponent executing his plan?"  Of course.

I really don't understand why some people think that some openings are so crazily sophisticated or something that they will stunt your chess development; I really don't get it.  Yes I think that everyone needs some experience in Open positions, and yes I think that some openings are so extremely theoretical and tactical (like the Botvinnik Semi-Slav) that they're probably best suited for later on in your chess development, but at least 90% of all "normal" openings are suited for everyone.  By the way, I think the Semi-Slav is perfectly fine for players rated under 2000--you just need to pick and choose which lines you play a little wisely.

You're playing chess, for God's sake.  Fianchettoing a Bishop happens, it's good, quick development that influences the center.  Where does this notion that the Catalan is uber-sophisticated come from?  Do you feel the same way about the King's Indian, The Queen's Indian, The Nimzo with 4.e3 b6, The Colle-Zukertort, The Benoni, The Grunfeld, The King's Indian Attack, The Closed Sicilian, The Sicilian Dragon...????

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #4 - 09/20/12 at 14:43:47
Post Tools
Yes, I mean 'hinders'...but this is such a broad topic that has been discussed in many forum threads, so I don't want to derail your thread by getting too deeply into it here. Some posters seem to feel very strongly about the topic, and there have been a few fights...

I think in general you would be better off playing an opening that pursues more concrete objectives. This helps one to improve. Form plan ---> execute plan ---->prevent opponent executing his plan; that's good chess. Shuffling your pieces around delicately pretending you have an edge Catalan-style will not do much for your chess, in my opinion.

'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo