Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Alekhine 2.Nc3 (Read 50213 times)
Menake Halonot
YaBB Newbies

Re: Alekhine 2.Nc3
Reply #5 - 11/01/12 at 15:46:04
Post Tools
I think it's really matter of taste. If you like the positions
you get after 2...d5 you should play it, if you don't like it you
should go for 2...e5. I think you can go
for unbalanced position with this move.
But after 2...e6 3.d4 you have to be prepared
for the main line french, which is much
bigger then 2...e5 or 2...d5.

IP Logged

MarkG

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/01/12 at 13:44:50
Post Tools
This has been discussed before. Most notably in this thread...

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1299427560/

and see also my comment here...

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1337337060/6#6

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 08:00:11
Post Tools
Playing 1...Nf6 is having the wish to unbalance the position. Therefore after 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 - 2...d5 is the logical choice. You are still willing to unbalance (= creating winning chances out of the opening). If you play 2...e5 then you are out of your territory.

Continuing with 2...d5

3.ed5 is nothing to be afraid of - just play normal moves

3.e5 Nfd7 is more interesting and can either transpose to a Steinitz French (hmm - seems like we cannot avoid this and 2...e6!? is not a bad choice either!) or White may go for the gambit line 4.e6!? - but I think this also gives Black reasonable chances and he should be happy to see that move!

3.d4?! is the real reason to play 2...d5 (instead of 2...e6) - White transposes to the BDG and Black goes 3...Ne4! which should be at least equal for him, but probably already better (ok I know BDG players think differently).

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/01/12 at 07:59:06
Post Tools
I play 2...d5.

3.e5 Ne4 4.Nce2 Nc5 5.d4 Ne6 is one weird line I've played a few times with not too bad results. (g6 and Ng7 is an idea!)

I've played 2...Nc6 in one game. I had a decent game vs a 2200 player.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Menake Halonot
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - 11/01/12 at 06:13:41
Post Tools
If you like to defend the position after 2...d5 then go for it. But I don't like it so I play 2...e5. Yes, it transposes to the open games, but white is left only with the vienna, four knights and the center game, so you don't have to learn to much.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Alekhine 2.Nc3
10/31/12 at 17:36:23
Post Tools
G'Day,

Just wondering, what do you play against this?
Obviously 2. ..e5 is a strong solution, but if I wanted to have an open game on the board, I'd be playing 1. ..e5  Cheesy

The 2. ..d5 lines not only don't look like something I want to play, but Hector's (amongst others) convincing results seem to put them into question altogether.

Currently I'm playing 2. ..d6 as I was originally a Pirc player anyways and this just transposes, but this runs into the same issue as ..e5 -
even worsely so, as White retains all options, while ..e5 at least got a good shot at annoying Ruy/Giucco/Scotch exponents.

Now I found an Andrew-Martin-Videosample on 2. ..e6. The positions arising after (the by him so called 'critical test') 3.e5 look like something I can dabble around with,
but 3.d4 doesn't look all too pleasing; transposing into a classical french is -again- something I'm not too fond of, and the 'natural' 

doesn't look like something I want to indulge in OTB either. Am I missing something (I sure hope so!), or is 2...e6 hardly playable unless one is happy with transposing to a french?

Also, is there any material on 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 somewhere? Cox' SO-Book gives "I recommend 2..e5 (along with some analysis on 2...d5, but concludes it's ..unfavourable)",
Taylor (in A.Alert) not only recommends e5, but also gives some games on it (and neglects ..d5 as bad altogether).

So.. what do you do? Play 2...e5, happy to have avoided the most critical lines? Is there some merit in 2...e6 3.d4 which I'm missing (or maybe my assessment of the arising positions is simply false)?
Or do you go for 2...d5 against all odds?  Undecided I'm fairly at a loss what to play here - learning an entirely different opening (or even 4 in the case of ..e5) just to battle an offbeat try seems to be.. uneconomical.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo