Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How to find out FICS peak hours? (Read 14799 times)
Finlip
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: How to find out FICS peak hours?
Reply #13 - 01/04/13 at 01:53:10
Post Tools
Log on to the FICS and type the command "ustat" on your console. You will see user activity over the last 24 hours.

1633 FIDE
IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 12/29/12 at 03:33:15
Post Tools
SWJediknight wrote on 12/28/12 at 13:26:11:
When I used FICS I regularly got the problem of opponents disconnecting while losing, and being forced into accepting a draw by "abandonment/mutual agreement" in a position where I had a forced mate in 3.

1) If they have disconnected a game and their time starts going into negative values, continue waiting. It can take up to twenty minutes but provided you have autoflag on, it will work. 

2) If they simply disconnected and you are clearly winning (especially if you have a mate in x), you can easily get it adjudicated quickly on the fics website.   

It's rare that either of these things happen.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #11 - 12/28/12 at 13:26:11
Post Tools
When I used FICS I regularly got the problem of opponents disconnecting while losing, and being forced into accepting a draw by "abandonment/mutual agreement" in a position where I had a forced mate in 3. 
I'm not sure if it's got rid of that issue, but so far at Chess.com, when I've had opponents disconnect while losing it has awarded me a win.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 12/27/12 at 04:44:26
Post Tools
Deflation? Do you mean rating deflation?

My problem with chess.com is the interface. There have been numerous problems reported there for their live games. They are aware of the problem, but it's been a problem for years.

I too prefer Babaschess to chess.com's interface. But this is only comparing free interfaces on computers. I have no clue which work best on mobile phones and the like.

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/26/12 at 22:30:53
Post Tools
Fics is at least as active as chess.com most of the time.

You're using different interfaces as a BAD point? With chess.com, you get one interface and you have to use it. I much prefer my custom babaschess interface. I find the chess.com one way too high contrast, my babaschess one has a rugged/artsy kind of look, pieces and board. My colours are dark brown and light brown. I find the chess.com one straining on the eye.

There's also been huge deflation on the chess.com website over the past few years - it's extremely unstable (unlike fics which is ultra stable). So now I only use it in instances such as where I have no mouse or no easy ability to get my babaschess program.   

IP Logged

bicycle
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 12/21/12 at 21:07:26
Post Tools
Transformation has made this helpful chart which confirms what the folks at FICS have said that 12:00 server time (pacific) is the general peak activity time for the server.  Forever FICS....

http://dk-transformation.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

bicycle
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 12/18/12 at 20:21:16
Post Tools
LaurentiuI wrote on 12/14/12 at 21:14:35:
If you want to play slow games on FICS, I highly recommend checking out TeamLeague: teamleague (dot) org. It's a competition running 3-4 times/year, the TC being 45 45; the only inconvenience is that you have to find some teammates, but a lot of older, established teams are frequently looking for new blood.

There are also several "clubs" with dedicated channels on FICS which have been formed around TeamLeague and these are excellent pools of players for slow games.

Thanks for this.  It does sound interesting.

Transformation wrote on 12/14/12 at 23:55:26:

Thanks again David.  The bit about food made me laugh.  Smiley  Am in agreement about chesscube, that place is so gimmicky its comical which makes it the perfect place to play ones "drunken" games as the interface (board) is quite nice.

There are several clubs in or around my area (some with weekly tournaments and I do much prefer otb play) so that is why the site with the most volume doesn't really matter to me all that much.  Again, of the free sites nothing comes close to FICS visually and as with practicality in applications imho. 

Besides, where else can I play that will allow me to set pawn checkmate sounds as explosions and knight ones as horsey sounds?

IP Logged

Transformation
YaBB Newbies

I wish chess publishg
were'nt so counter-intuitive

Reply #6 - 12/14/12 at 23:55:26
Post Tools
[written very fast, on my way to work:]

This is bound to upset a few.  But that's me.  I provoke.  First, that FICS broke from ICC, to provide a free service is truly admirable.  This deserves respect.  But for how long?

Many, many years have gone by.  If you don't want to pay at ICC ($ + old legacy system, in SOME ways still the best, but falling behind fast), or PlayChess ($ + de facto tied to chessBase), then the choices are clear.  Chess.com. 

I do not have a commercial relationship with them.

In fact, early on, years ago, I was a BIG skeptic, calling it the McDonalds of chess.  Not true.  Their volume has surged, they police rudeness completely, such things are very very rare.  The esprit de corps is actually generally polite.  I love the place.  They created a great place.

ChessCube has a great interface, and by that, I only mean the board.  I love the way it functions.  But thats it.  It looks like some UK British Odds on Betting Site, total schlock.  These are harsh words.  Why knock yet one more free place?  I tell you why.  I have never, never in my life, seen so many persons ask for takebacks.  I might be wrong.  Go and check. Maybe they got rid of it.  They as I recall had a tb function billed into the toggles.  Amazing.  When I slip, I am the sort who resigns ON THE spot.  Take it like a man.  One punch.  Down.  OK.  I just don't like its overall interface, as a total user experience.  To be clear, I said I love their BOARD.  But chess.com does as much and more.

FICS.  This is old line.  The community there is excellent, truly great, dyed in the wool sorts.  I just want a lot more volume, and an easy, ready to go interface.  Temposchlucker was very kind, with great effort, to help me set up BabaSoft.  I used it.  I hate it.  But I used it a lot in 2006 t0 2007, was it.  It also saves your history to pgn files, but has some very, very odd quirks.  Torture me with it.

Again, folks will be upset.  OK.  Lets talk about it.  The truth comes out, even if the truth is that I am wrong.  I had my account, and let it go inactive.

I use chess.com to pour in lots of chess to my brain.  I use ICC to measure myself (I am inactive right now, retooling my brain, but made very heavy use of my old account, dk-transform.  10k games, but checking now, they removed the history.  np).  My account is a bit new, scrubbed to zero, but I fully aim to use it a lot more, as I rebuild my chess (massive CT-Art 3.0 now, and back to the fabulous, ne plus ultra ChessTempo.  Richard created the best place on the web).

PlayChess is great if you download the free chessBase light, a truly incredible, free program.  If you are not using it, you are missing out.  My recent posts at my blog discuss this.  Try living in 620 and being an academic without Latin, being an educated Korean and not reading Chinese, a Gupta Empire scholar without Sanskrit, classicist without Greek, run a restaurant without Spanish (I say this respectfully, tons of hard working persons of great skill and dedication).  'I don't like chessBase.  Its too expensive'.  You have got to be kidding me.  Amortize ChessBase, $500 over four years, 0.30 per day, but no, we can afford cigarettes, beer, soda, RedBull.  Seriously.  Chess is your sport.  Or use the light version.  ICC:  22 cents per day.

At ICC you can link your pgn file to your play. At playChess your games, and viewing of GM games, are AUTOMATICALLY saved in chessBase format, to myInternetGames and MyKibitzing respectively.  This is gold.

At chess.com, they let you email your game files, 100 at a time.  This is wonderful.

If you do not view your own games, you are not going to improve.

ChessCube will let you copy one SINGLE pgn at a time, it is maddening to me.  I do understand business, and they want you to pay for it.  What?  For something not 20% as good as chess.com, which is for free.  Chess.com has premium features, which I respect, $.  They earn their keep.  Blessings.

Yahoo Chess used to allow you to email your game files to yourself, but broke this function five years ago, yet still show it.

RedHot pawn is a very smart place for turn based, correspondence chess.  But chess engines, if you ask me, ruined this sport.

Playchess allows guests.  Try it out.  And enter the site through ChessBase light, rather than the stand alone client.

It will allow you, for example, to view Wijk aan Zee, by one click, fourteen top boards.  Can you imagine?  Anand, Aronian, Nakamura, Carlsen, Kramnik, one click, London, whatever.  This is gold.  Also free.

Ok.  Here it is:

PlayChess to be up to date in the lingua franca of chess, including contemporary play, cum ChessBase Lite.

Chess.com to play.  You cannot do better.

ChessTempo to study.  The smartest chess place on the web.

ChessVibes for quality videos, the single best comments on the web in English.  chess ninja went on the vine.  This is the place real smart talk happens.  Thomas, all those guys.  Chess in Translation (Slavic).

ChessCafe.com for the best full articles.  The main library if you will of real knowledge.

Chess Tactics Server, to drill lots of tactics.  Not the place to learn them, but to drill them.

If I had to pick two:  chess.com and chessTempo.  The first is powerful and easy and efficient, the latter is amazingly smart. Smart is not the word for it.  The Cloud comes to tactics.  My god.  Smarter than sh_t!.  Smart.

OK.  I kicked the dust.  Have at it boys and girls.

Asking about time of day, with no disrespect to anyone, is like asking which has more nutrition, the dollar burger at McDonalds of Burger King.  The real question is brown rice versus potato, fish versus produce, vegetable and soy, and beans.  Lots of ways to compare.  Many of these are healthy.  Salmon, Cabbage, Kale, Beets.  Now that's food.  The proper question is what do you eat, where, and to an extent, when.

PS If you go to the blog, you can see the full spreadsheet which will take you directly to my Google Drive (new name for Google Docs), with the full spreadsheet, a project I did in view of chess.Cafe, etc).  Click line to file.  Have fun!

IP Logged

LaurentiuI
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/14/12 at 21:14:35
Post Tools
If you want to play slow games on FICS, I highly recommend checking out TeamLeague: teamleague (dot) org. It's a competition running 3-4 times/year, the TC being 45 45; the only inconvenience is that you have to find some teammates, but a lot of older, established teams are frequently looking for new blood.

There are also several "clubs" with dedicated channels on FICS which have been formed around TeamLeague and these are excellent pools of players for slow games.

IP Logged

bicycle
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 12/13/12 at 21:23:54
Post Tools
Transformation wrote on 12/12/12 at 07:09:16:
I am not an active user, but my blog took a big jump in hits tonight, and easily traced it back to here.  I joined here to post this, takes a sec:

In view of a feature article I plan at chessCafe.com, I assiduously did indeed collect the data mentioned.  Just not for FICS.  I seem to recall that this is a Eurocentric site, but might not be.

Nevertheless, my data is very good for ICC, PlayChess, ChessCube, and chess.com.  From it you can deduce what you need.  Users either shadow the USA (ICC and Europe), or mostly Europe (PlayChess), United Kingdom (ChessCube), or worldwide with a few gaps when it is too early in Europe combined with too late in the USA and folks are not quite in full gear in Asia. 

Simply email me, and I will send the data.  Interested in feedback.

David Korn

As new user, will not let me post hyperlinks till I post five messages.  Let me try and end around here, thus:

dk-transformation dot blogspot (dot) com

Chess Tactics Server, dkTransform

Chess Tempo, transformation

ICC handle Transformation

I am NOT spending time to tidy this message up (hardly intuitive hyperlinks.........), or sheet format, but now see I can load it in.  Here it is!  Duly attached.  dk

errrrrr.  Tried to attach xls I copied for here.  One more try.  Will not let me post anything but txt or pgn extensions.

write me to get the file:

davidkorn dot specialprojects at gmail dot com

Thank you David.  Perhaps you can lets us know when your chesscafe article is published (am not on here all that much so if you could post a link of sorts in thread that would be fab).  Grin

IP Logged

Transformation
YaBB Newbies

I wish chess publishg
were'nt so counter-intuitive

Reply #3 - 12/12/12 at 07:09:16
Post Tools
I am not an active user, but my blog took a big jump in hits tonight, and easily traced it back to here.  I joined here to post this, takes a sec:

In view of a feature article I plan at chessCafe.com, I assiduously did indeed collect the data mentioned.  Just not for FICS.  I seem to recall that this is a Eurocentric site, but might not be.

Nevertheless, my data is very good for ICC, PlayChess, ChessCube, and chess.com.  From it you can deduce what you need.  Users either shadow the USA (ICC and Europe), or mostly Europe (PlayChess), United Kingdom (ChessCube), or worldwide with a few gaps when it is too early in Europe combined with too late in the USA and folks are not quite in full gear in Asia. 

Simply email me, and I will send the data.  Interested in feedback.

David Korn

As new user, will not let me post hyperlinks till I post five messages.  Let me try and end around here, thus:

dk-transformation dot blogspot (dot) com

Chess Tactics Server, dkTransform

Chess Tempo, transformation

ICC handle Transformation

I am NOT spending time to tidy this message up (hardly intuitive hyperlinks.........), or sheet format, but now see I can load it in.  Here it is!  Duly attached.  dk

errrrrr.  Tried to attach xls I copied for here.  One more try.  Will not let me post anything but txt or pgn extensions.

write me to get the file:

davidkorn dot specialprojects at gmail dot com

IP Logged

bicycle
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 12/11/12 at 21:11:55
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 12/10/12 at 21:35:18:
I too like FICS among the free servers. But good luck in finding its peak hours. There are some people here who have accounts there. Maybe you could just schedule some time to meet some of them?

Good idea yeah, or just schedule to meet friends or people I know there already.  Remembered reading mention of FICS slow hours here: http://dk-transformation.blogspot.com/2010/05/letters-to-not-so-young-blue-devil... (where he does a general comparison of the chess servers, is a little dated but still worth reading imho).  Anyway, if I can't find out the peak activity time for FICS there are other ways of being able to schedule matches there as you mentioned.  Long live FICS!!!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 12/10/12 at 21:35:18
Post Tools
I too like FICS among the free servers. But good luck in finding its peak hours. There are some people here who have accounts there. Maybe you could just schedule some time to meet some of them?

IP Logged

bicycle
YaBB Newbies

How to find out FICS peak hours?
12/10/12 at 18:40:54
Post Tools
Am in California and was wondering if there's a way to find out when FICS is usually at its pinnacle of activity here.  I know there are much more active servers but FICS (w/babas) is by far my first choice in interface and application.   Grin    

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo