Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Which 1...d6 ...1..g6 lines common vs. austrian (Read 5312 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: Which 1...d6 ...1..g6 lines common vs. austrian
Reply #4 - 12/21/12 at 09:27:40
Post Tools
You should investigate the Gurgenidze system as well, its a common way for Black players to avoid the Austrian and is not trivial to play:

1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 c6 4.f4 d5 etc.

IP Logged

Highfive
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/17/12 at 18:21:24
Post Tools
Thanks for the responses.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/14/12 at 14:10:32
Post Tools
Playing the Pirc/Modern sometimes with Black myself I second Stigma´s observation.

As a sidenote if you rely on Khalifman´s book only you should be aware that his recommendation against 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.f4 Bg7 5.Nf3 c5 is considered fairly comfortable for Black lately.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 12/14/12 at 11:40:07
Post Tools
If I were you, I would prioritize these five as both fairly common and critical (in no particular order):

Pirc with 5...c5
Pirc with 5...0-0 6.Bd3 Na6
Pirc with 5...0-0 6.Bd3 Nc6
"Tiger's Modern" 4...a6 5.Nf3 b5 (or 5...Nd7 intending ...b5)
"The Sniper" (since it's recommended in several recent books/DVDs): Modern with 3...c5

After that you could look at less common lines like the Philidor transpositions (d6/Nf6/e5), the Czech Pirc, the Gurgenidze system (at least two different move orders) and maybe the Modern lines with 4...c6, 4...Nc6 and 3...d5.

Anything else is rare, non-critical and not worth an amateur preparing for. On club level some people who don't know any theory will try the Pirc with an early ...c6 and/or ...Bg4, but I've had no problems just relying on my own brain there.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Highfive
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Which 1...d6 ...1..g6 lines common vs. austrian
12/14/12 at 05:47:16
Post Tools
I've been using Khalifman's openings according to anand series for my white repertoire.  Sometimes what I do is I take a week and try to go over one defense for black.  However I ran into a problem with his Volume 4 which encompasses the modern and pirc, ...there are too many possible choices.  The book is 402 pages long. 

What I've done so far is, after a tournament game where the modern/pirc is employed, I look up the line played in Khalifman's book.  It felt like a waste of time to try to go through the whole book.

Anyhow, my question is this...What are the most common/popular  modern/pirc lines played against the austrian attack setup(pawns on d4/e4/and f4)? 

Looking at the databases to answer this question for me hasn't helped because of the transpositional possibilities.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo