Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Watson Schandorff Hybrid Repertoire (Read 12641 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Watson Schandorff Hybrid Repertoire
Reply #22 - 01/03/13 at 11:41:46
Post Tools
Interesting to see when checking last night that Watson is in fact so honest to say that the reader might ultimately want to investigate 5 Bd3 after 4.. o-o.

I think you can tell that you've got a minor problem when black is seemingly making moves like 5.. c6 work Smiley (see the latest chess pub update.....).

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 12/31/12 at 21:02:08
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/31/12 at 20:36:38:
Maybe this doesn't belong in this thread, but here are a couple of things I found myself wondering, in case someone wants to enlighten me.

1.  Quality Chess cite a reader on their blog who, aside from writing things like "the Saemisch, Wow!", enthuses about White playing Qf3 and g4 in the Nimzo.  Is that referring to the variation 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e3 b6 5. Nge2 Ba6 6. a3 Be7 7. Nf4 d5 8. cxd5 Bxf1 9. Kxf1 exd5 10. g4 (or first Qf3), associated with a classic Botvinnik-Smyslov game?

Kyle,most likely the comment is referring to the stem game Aronian-Istratescu, Antalya 2004 which begins 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e3 b6 5.Nge2 Ba6 6.a3 Bxc3+ 7.Nxc3 d5 8.Qf3 O-O 9.g4.

Bill

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #20 - 12/31/12 at 20:36:38
Post Tools
Maybe this doesn't belong in this thread, but here are a couple of things I found myself wondering, in case someone wants to enlighten me.

1.  Quality Chess cite a reader on their blog who, aside from writing things like "the Saemisch, Wow!", enthuses about White playing Qf3 and g4 in the Nimzo.  Is that referring to the variation 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e3 b6 5. Nge2 Ba6 6. a3 Be7 7. Nf4 d5 8. cxd5 Bxf1 9. Kxf1 exd5 10. g4 (or first Qf3), associated with a classic Botvinnik-Smyslov game?

2.  Regarding the Nge2 Modern Benoni, does Schandorff seem to evince any serious differences of theoretical opinion with, say, the Informant monograph done by Gelfand and Kapengut some time ago?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #19 - 12/31/12 at 20:05:50
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/31/12 at 15:56:28:
but commented that it has a slight pro-White bias.

Which I don't mind as long as the author gives evidence in the form of games and analysis to back it up. In this respect Schandorff is lacking now and then (not in his book on 1.d4 d5 though, which has 80 pages more). But if Watson is a remedy WSS is fine of course.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 12/31/12 at 17:14:03
Post Tools
Konstriktor wrote on 12/31/12 at 12:05:53:
Interesting subject. I've got the three books (2x Schandorff, 1x Watson) too and I am working on my d4 repertoire after 10 years of e4 and 2 years of c4/g3.

Schandorffs Nimzo choice probably leads to equality. I think you should read Schandorffs Nimzo Chapter conclusion. "Equal, but easier to play for white"

@WSS Any experience with Schandorffs two in one hit vs the Semi-Slav Botvinnik/Moscow. As in the 9. e5 vs Moscow and 9. Bg3 Botvinnik.
I only had the positions in Blitz with mixed results.

As for the Samisch KID. I use the 6. Bg5 variation. You can get pretty good positions and you can use it too vs the Benoni.

Konstriktor, I share your journey as a "reformed" 1.e4 player myself.   Wink  I've also gotten some good positions in the Bg5 lines against the KID/Benoni as I mentioned in my comments on the OP but I was thinking Samisch versus KID would be thematically consistent with some of the other repertoire choices.

The 9.e5 Semi-Slav line leads to some interesting positions after Schandorff's suggested improvement for Black of 14...Qb6 which I have only begun to study (I've had Watson's book for much longer.)  Here is a training game (to test the variation) that ended in a draw - but I'm sure there are many improvements to be found!

Perhaps we should start a thread in the Slav section if people want to explore this line further?

Bill
« Last Edit: 12/31/12 at 18:26:53 by WSS »  

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #17 - 12/31/12 at 15:56:28
Post Tools
Schandorffs Nimzo choice probably leads to equality. I think you should read Schandorffs Nimzo Chapter conclusion. "Equal, but easier to play for white"

I guess that that kind of expression, which is apparently a favorite of Kramnik (e.g. he recently applied it to the Scotch Four Knights) might come in handy for authors of White repertoire books ...

Incidentally Glenn Flear just reviewed the anti-Indians book in ...one of the major opening-theory periodicals which are not Chess Publishing.  He quite liked it (e.g. "it's a pleasant read and the arguments are well-presented"), but commented that it has a slight pro-White bias.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 12/31/12 at 13:37:25
Post Tools
I played e4 for 10 years. Then I got two kids, less time to study chess and openings.
I switched to Kostens c4/g3 "Dynamic English". Only 100 pages and less sharp positions.

My youngest daugther is now 4 and she finally sleeps through the whole night most of the time.
So daddy has gotten some extra time and energy to study chess...

The c4/g3 systems are nice but I do not find some of the positions that inspiring. Although e4 still tempts me because of all the experience I've build up with it, I also like to start something new.
So therefore d4/c4.

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #15 - 12/31/12 at 12:38:19
Post Tools
Interesting subject. I've got the three books (2x Schandorff, 1x Watson) too and I am working on my d4 repertoire after 10 years of e4 and 2 years of c4/g3.

@WSS Any experience with Schandorffs two in one hit vs the Semi-Slav Botvinnik/Moscow. As in the 9. e5 vs Moscow and 9. Bg3 Botvinnik.

As for the Samisch KID. I use the 6. Bg5 variation. You can get pretty good positions and you can use it too vs the Benoni.

I´m curious  Smiley, why did you give up
a) 1.e4 after ten years?
b) 1.c4/g3 after two years?

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 12/31/12 at 12:05:53
Post Tools

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #13 - 12/30/12 at 22:59:37
Post Tools
Nge2 in the Nimzo fits with White's other repertoire choices. If you want to go to other lines you will probably also have to revisit allowing the Ragozin and other variations. I personally don't like White's Nge2 lines as a winning attempt either.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 12/30/12 at 20:03:47
Post Tools
WSS wrote on 12/30/12 at 15:12:28:
[quote author=1615395B0 link=1356744290/4#4 date=1356817885]Mark, are you advocating a 4.Qc2 repertoire versus the Nimzo such as Kaufman gives?  Or do you simply think that the specific lines that Schandorff offers for 4.e3 5.Nge2 are not sufficient for an edge?

The latter. I advocate 4.e3, 5.Bd3, 6.Nf3, but that's rellatively easy in corr. chess. I was mainly thinking of stuff like this: "White always retains a small positional initiative". Let me put it this way: what Schandorff provides is by far not enough for such a conclusion.

Quote:
Watson points out (refreshingly honestly)...

Refreshing indeed. I appreciate that much better.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/30/12 at 19:15:44
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 12/29/12 at 18:29:26:
What about

1.d4 e6 2.c4 f5
1.d4 g6 2.c4 f5
1.d4 d6 2.c4 f5

... first aiming for a Classical Dutch / Stonewall / Nimzo-Dutch, and 2nd and 3rd options aiming for a Leningrad or Classical Dutch setups?

I've bought Watson book but not received yet. I'm waiting anxiously.......  Cool

CC, I neglected to respond to your post earlier.  Watson addresses each of those move orders as you will see when your copy of his book arrives.  My intent would be to follow his recommendations against the Dutch so I think it is well covered. 

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 12/30/12 at 19:04:44
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 12/30/12 at 16:52:03:
Well certainly that to some extent I think.

Also it just gives nice, strategic, fairly stable position types. Watson in particular is doing a strategic repitoire so it's a very good fit for him.

I suspect you are both right on that point.  Watson points out (refreshingly honestly) in several places that his lines don't always lead to an advantage.  Instead he is aiming for strategic positions with clear ideas and good play.

Against the original premise of this thread of selecting the "best" lines from the two repertoires, the authors don't give us much choice against the Nimzo since they adopt a similar approach.  Thinking more broadly there is certainly a case to be made for going outside the repertoires and adopting a 4.Qc2 line (as I couldn't help myself doing with the Tarrasch.)  There are a number of good resources (including DVDs) available.

Bill

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/30/12 at 16:52:03
Post Tools
Well certainly that to some extent I think.

Also it just gives nice, strategic, fairly stable position types. Watson in particular is doing a strategic repitoire so it's a very good fit for him.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #8 - 12/30/12 at 16:49:15
Post Tools
Maybe the autors chose e3+Nge2 not because is the most promising line as White but because of the amount of theory needed to put it in a single chapter of their books... I don't know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo