Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chess Book Review blog (Read 336760 times)
GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Re: Chess Book Review blog
Reply #312 - 10/09/17 at 08:37:37
Post Tools
@Seeley, for a more detailed response (from QC's Blog) dated September 5th, 2016:

Quote:
First off, Inside the Chess Mind and Grandmaster vs. Amateur can be read for fun and totally out of sequence. The same goes to some extent for Excelling at Chess, which is mainly meant to inspire.
Excelling at Chess Calculation is the place I would start. Read it carefully. The exercises are not that great; I could skip them.
Then move on to Calculation. The chapters are created with more and more difficult exercises. Once you get stuck; go to the next chapter. The attitude in solving is important. Do it like it is important!
Once you are well into Calculation, you can start working on Positional Play as well. Work on them side by side. It does not matter which one you do most of, but do some of each. Calculation is later replaced by Practical Chess Defence and Positional Play by Strategic Play. Of all of these books, Calculation and Positional Play are the most important to really understand well.
You can read Attacking Manual 1 and 2 when your solving is getting steady. (If you do an hour a day, you will see rapid progress. Everyone who works with these books seriously have made big progress; including in India). Attacking Manual 1 works well together with Attack and Defence. Read AM1 and get A&D; but first go through the other books. You can always read Attacking Manual 1 more than once. Actually, I strongly recommend it.
Excelling at Technical Chess can be read later; it works well Endgame Play, which is also not on your list.
And please read Thinking Inside the Box when it comes out. It will tie all of the books together.
If you go through all of these books in the way I describe, you will have more effective training than most young chess players in the World. It is by no means easy and it requires a lot of effort.
[......][
I also strongly recommend reading my two books written together with Boris Gelfand and published under his name. Also, if you go to our blog, you will find some videos I made together with Boris at the end of July this year. One of them shows how we created the books, the two others are Q&A.

I should add to this that the Quality Chess Puzzle Book easily fits into the Grandmaster Preparation series. The exercises were collected and analysed by me and the book finished by John, so that the tone is his, but the structure and ideas are mine and the direction something John and I have always worked together on.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #311 - 10/08/17 at 21:42:01
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 10/08/17 at 21:32:52:
I believe Aagaard has stated that it's best to start with either Calculation or Positional Play if you're going to read all the first five Grandmaster Preparation books. While the final one, Thinking Inside the Box, stands on its own and can be read at any point.

Thanks, Stigma, that's useful to know.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #310 - 10/08/17 at 21:32:52
Post Tools
I believe Aagaard has stated that it's best to start with either Calculation or Positional Play if you're going to read all the first five Grandmaster Preparation books. While the final one, Thinking Inside the Box, stands on its own and can be read at any point.

When I get around to this series, I'm planning to start with those three in some order (and maybe Calculation first of all since it's the only one I already own).

proustiskeen wrote on 10/08/17 at 19:02:12:
Hopefully coming soon!

Looking forward to it! But take your time. I value your reviews and articles for their quality, that's a lot more important than cranking them out rapidly. Smiley

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #309 - 10/08/17 at 20:30:33
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 10/08/17 at 02:29:49:
My October review of Jacob Aagaard's _Grandmaster Preparation: Thinking Inside the Box._

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2017/10/07/making-better-decisions/

Thanks for that review: I found it as thoughtful and informative as usual. You point out that this is the "sixth and final volume in the Grandmaster Preparation series". Is this a book that can usefully be read on its own, or would you consider it advisable to read the preceding five volumes in the series first? Some years ago, I read some but not all of the titles in Aagaard's "Excelling at..." series and felt that each one stood on its own perfectly well. Is the same true here, in your opinion?

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #308 - 10/08/17 at 19:02:12
Post Tools
Hopefully coming soon!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #307 - 10/08/17 at 04:50:40
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 03/30/17 at 22:09:40:
Part II of my first installment of "Chess Tech University" - how to analyze your games using chess technology!

https://new.uschess.org/news/chess-tech-university-philosophy-game-analysis-part...

Was this series ever continued past part 2, and is it available anywhere?

I really enjoyed your perspective on Dvoretsky's training philosophy, especially the similarities between his and Ericsson's thoughts on learning and practice.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #306 - 10/08/17 at 02:29:49
Post Tools
My October review of Jacob Aagaard's _Grandmaster Preparation: Thinking Inside the Box._

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2017/10/07/making-better-decisions/

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #305 - 09/04/17 at 20:04:15
Post Tools
Yeah, I didn't post it until August. Smiley

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #304 - 09/04/17 at 19:46:10
Post Tools
Just a random sidenote: There is no "July 2017" in the Archive sidebar on the right; instead the July 2017 review "Bisguier’s Books (and beyond)" is part of the August 2017 chapter

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #303 - 09/04/17 at 19:17:58
Post Tools
A review of recent King's Indian books, including those by Kotronias, Bologan, and Pavlovic.

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/no-kidding-new-kid-books/

IP Logged

Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #302 - 08/11/17 at 22:46:11
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 08/11/17 at 02:34:09:
I think you meant to say "I was wrong."

Assuming that's so, apology accepted.

Yes, I was quite wrong. Thanks for accepting my apology.

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #301 - 08/11/17 at 02:34:09
Post Tools
I think you meant to say "I was wrong."

Assuming that's so, apology accepted.

IP Logged

Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #300 - 08/10/17 at 22:23:48
Post Tools
Sorry, my prior post was a little too cynical. I was not that familiar with the blog, so I was just making more of a philosophical statement. It was not called for, so I sincerely apologize.

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #299 - 08/09/17 at 14:27:12
Post Tools
Thanks, Rene. Never will I speak poorly of dualism again. (Although I do know a well-known professor who tries to make Descartes a monist based on one line in the Principles! I think it's half in jest... but only half.)

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #298 - 08/09/17 at 03:26:42
Post Tools
Geez. This is Hartmann's thread. What ever are you doing? Warning him? Saying there are grounds for doubts, then denying those grounds apply (but why shouldn't they?)

We've known him for years here, and there is not the slightest indication that he is anything but thoughtful and honest. Before writing something so insolent, look at the archives: Hartmann has written plenty of harsh reviews; one thing they never contain, however, is innuendo.
« Last Edit: 08/09/17 at 23:52:32 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo