Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chess Book Review blog (Read 336777 times)
Hauge Frank
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Chess Book Review blog
Reply #372 - 05/21/18 at 15:40:26
Post Tools
I m open it and don't see any enough information there so please guide me about it  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #371 - 05/21/18 at 10:02:12
Post Tools
Bit baffled by this. Are there really people who think the massively chunked grab-and-copy-and-paste of Shereshevsky is okay? Via the wacky double-translate? I cannot think any editor would knowingly allow that. One must indeed query what the translator(s) were up to as well, yes. And it seems the chess publishing houses have duly agreed that this is not okay.

Out of interest, was there a retraction of the allegation that the reviewer was writing in that critical way due to his connection with another chess player and writer? A retraction and apology would certainly seem appropriate from ReneDescartes in this regard.

Right, back to chess, and the forthcoming World Cup footie...

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #370 - 05/21/18 at 06:23:26
Post Tools
Some thoughts

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #369 - 05/21/18 at 02:50:40
Post Tools
You've apparently misunderstood.  The "case under discussion" has nothing to do with copying an entire work.  Shereshevsky did not do that and no one has accused him of doing that.       

You may have missed Rene's point, as well.  I don't think he was saying that the Russian publisher actually had a license or permission.  I think he was saying that, in the rush to condemn, no one considered that possibility, even though it would have explained the decision to translate from English to Russian to English.

But, for that, you'll have to ask Rene.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #368 - 05/21/18 at 00:45:54
Post Tools
That’s not an example. It’s the “circumstances” that are important, which is why I asked for an example. Then we can see how it ralates relates to the case under discussion.

Also, it would have been good form to provide a citation for the quote you gave.

In my opinion ReneDescartes’s speculation about Russian permissions was highly unlikely, Justinhorton’s objection missed the point, and your bringing up whole works was obscuring the issue. So I tried to bring the discussion back to earth by asking for an example.
« Last Edit: 05/21/18 at 14:06:57 by an ordinary chessplayer »  

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #367 - 05/21/18 at 00:28:23
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 05/20/18 at 22:14:58:
Please give an example of a whole work being quoted that was deemed to be fair use.

Courtesy of the US copyright office:

“That said, some courts have found use of an entire work to be fair under certain circumstances. And in other contexts, using even a small amount of a copyrighted work was determined not to be fair because the selection was an important part—or the “heart”—of the work.“

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #366 - 05/20/18 at 22:14:58
Post Tools
Please give an example of a whole work being quoted that was deemed to be fair use.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #365 - 05/20/18 at 20:36:23
Post Tools
Justinhorton wrote on 05/19/18 at 08:46:20:
ReneDescartes wrote on 05/08/18 at 23:19:39:
Moreover, it does not seem to have occurred to anyone that the inexplicable retranslations from English to Russian back into English might precisely preserve those rights under the law if an licensing agreement with the Russian Chess Federation exists.

This is some nonsense here. You can't lift huge chunks of somebody else's work without permission, that's what copyright's all about. And you don't get round copyright by retranslating a work so that the words are changed round a bit.

He’s not saying it was OK to do without permission, he’s saying that they might have had permission.   “if an licensing agreement ... exists”. 

And, btw, you may be able to lift large chunks without permission if it’s deemed to be fair use.  In the US, the length of the quote is a factor in determining fair use.  In general, the longer the quote the more likely it is to infringe, but this is still only a factor, not a bright line test, and it has to be weighed against other factors.  Long quotes, whole chapters, and even an entire work have been found to be fair use.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #364 - 05/19/18 at 08:46:20
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 05/08/18 at 23:19:39:
Moreover, it does not seem to have occurred to anyone that the inexplicable retranslations from English to Russian back into English might precisely preserve those rights under the law if an licensing agreement with the Russian Chess Federation exists.

This is some nonsense here. You can't lift huge chunks of somebody else's work without permission, that's what copyright's all about. And you don't get round copyright by retranslating a work so that the words are changed round a bit.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #363 - 05/10/18 at 04:12:26
Post Tools
Dvoretsky has written in a couple of places that Endgame Strategy was based on his own lesson plans, which he graciously allowed Shereshevsky to use for a book. I think of Endgame Strategy as part of the "Dvoretsky canon" for that reason.

Much of those old Dvoretsky lesson plans may have been copied from others with some added commentary, so the question is how much Shereshevsky changed and added before publishing.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #362 - 05/09/18 at 22:05:44
Post Tools
This discussion reminded me of a conversation I had with a group of Russian GMs 30 years ago concerning Shereshevsky's book 'Endgame Strategy': I was saying how good it was and how much I liked it, to which I was informed that it was mostly copied from other (Soviet) authors! I have no idea if this is true or not, maybe it was just sour grapes, but it stuck in my memory.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #361 - 05/09/18 at 19:19:17
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 05/09/18 at 14:00:44:
Jacob Aagaard's comments

I refrained from cutting and pasting them Smiley

A very positive turn of events!

The reactions by both Quality Chess and New in Chess are exemplary. Now if permissions are in place and corrections are forthcoming, I may even buy the book eventually; it sounds like it has some interesting points.

P.S.: I don't want to stoke the fires here, but it is surprising to see suggestions that it's OK to pass off a "teaching compendium" with large swathes of others' texts as your own book chapter(s). Even if you're adding your own comments to the texts, this is a different genre from a single-author work with quotes within fair use, one which requires explicit permission for and crediting of each source. That some readers enjoy the end result is no excuse.

Most good chess authors who argue with and quote each other manage this just fine without using excessive direct quotes or parahrases.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #360 - 05/09/18 at 14:00:44
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard's comments

I refrained from cutting and pasting them Smiley

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #359 - 05/09/18 at 13:36:30
Post Tools
Fair enough.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #358 - 05/09/18 at 12:42:51
Post Tools
Wow. I've had some uncharitable readings of the piece, but this one takes the cake.

The point of the review is simple: there are legal, technical, and ethical problems with this book. (a) Shereshevsky and his English-language editors ignored the rights of other copyright holders when they published this book. (b) They do not give page numbers or titles / editions for quotes, and they re-translate English-language material back into English. That's inadequate. (c) There is a severe ethical problem with 'conducting,' as you put it, or taking thousands of words from the work of others, writing around it, and then putting your name on the final product.

That you think Shereshevsky had interesting ideas is irrelevant. This is a product corrupted by its flaws.

[Update: I think this is the key difference between me and those who would let Shereshevsky / NIC off the hook for the three issues above. That the ideas are interesting is, really, irrelevant. I actually agree with some of what Rene is saying here. It's interesting to see which texts from Dvoretsky, Nunn, Beim, Gelfand, Lipnitsky, Kramnik, etc etc etc, he decides to take his long quotations from. It's interesting to see how he plays them off each other, although I'd argue that it's much less profound than Rene says - it's 'he said, he said, oh that's interesting, let's move on' on my read. (Rene also ignores the obvious pro-Putin slant of the book and how it colors the material on Tukmakov. That's some, not all, of gossip I was referring to.)

'Conducting' isn't the same thing as authorship. A personal notebook of material copied from other authors isn't a publishable book. The analogy to a course reader is perhaps closer, but there (a) you have to get permission to include material in a course reader, and (b) you don't claim that you're the author of the reader at the end of it! This is the crux of the whole argument. I don't think it's morally right to do what Shereshevsky did in either language, and it wasn't legally permissable in the English edition. (I'll leave Russian copyright law, and how it is ignored, to the Russia experts.) It's stunning to me that anyone can willfully overlook this because the 'ideas are interesting.']

I'm not going to debate you point by point, but two of your most asinine claims need to be dealt with:

(1) "Moreover, it does not seem to have occurred to anyone that the inexplicable retranslations from English to Russian back into English might precisely preserve those rights under the law if an licensing agreement with the Russian Chess Federation exists."

It did occur to me, although I thought it was a way of getting around copyright. (I'm less charitable than you.) That's why I contacted multiple affected publishers and a legal expert, none of whom agreed with your theory.

(2) What's immoral [note: that word does not appear in the review!] is your attribution of ulterior motives to my work. It's borderline slanderous, in fact, and utterly without basis. If there's one thing that people can trust when they read what I write, it's that I'm honest. You don't have to agree with it, but it's an honest assessment.

You need to get the balance of your humours checked, Rene.
« Last Edit: 05/09/18 at 19:40:52 by proustiskeen »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo