Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Dutch Leningrad Marin DVD (Read 8318 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: Dutch Leningrad Marin DVD
Reply #6 - 04/16/15 at 10:56:32
Post Tools
I was intrigued by TonyRo's post above and decided to have a look during the Easter holidays.

So far I had just watched all the videos, but since I liked them a lot, I have decided to go over them a second time, while taking systematic notes.

As Tony says it is mostly about understanding typical pawn structures and the thematic plans & tactics that result from them. Liked a lot the comparison with the KID.

On the downside I also struggled a bit with Marin's English accent, but only a bit (overall it was ok for me to follow).

No sidelines covered (all games feature a White K-side fianchetto) and there are thematic games in all the main lines (8...c6, 8...Nc6, 8...Qe8 with both 9...Na6 and 9...a5). But I re-visited only one of my rep lines, the rest was not theoretically interesting re my repertoire. Still, the chess content was extremely interesting (maybe I was lacking in terms of understanding; you could also 'tell' that an experienced GM was commentating).  Smiley

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

AJWZ

Reply #5 - 04/01/15 at 12:32:46
Post Tools
Thank you very much TonyRo. I think I will buy it very soon...

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #4 - 03/31/15 at 21:06:44
Post Tools
I have it, and have watched approximately 80% of it. I like it, but you definitely have to know what you're getting here - it's not a repertoire or theoretical DVD at all. It comes with 3-4 of Marin's articles on the Leningrad, but they're mostly in offbeat variations which would likely be some of the last lines you study (maybe not at all) if you are interested in taking up this opening from scratch.

It's composed of about 10 or so videos on the typical pawn structures and starts with a comparison between the KID and the Leningrad and how that affects typical play. Marin explains a lot of key ideas and plans for both sides, and the considerations for when one plan might be better than the other, etc. He's very deep - Marin has a wonderful understanding of strategical chess, and I know for me, there were a few big light bulb moments. Admittedly, I just took up the Leningrad within the past month or so, but still.

Then there are 6-8 (this is from memory, so I don't remember the exact numbers) games he runs through and analyzes, again explaining all the details. Then there are twenty or so test positions with video answers as well.

I like it a lot and I'm happy I spent my money on it. I think this is a good companion to a more theoretical work, e.g. Malaniuk, or simply parsing through the DB with an engine yourself. Marin is the guy you want on your side to build understanding.

IP Logged

AJWZ

Reply #3 - 03/31/15 at 20:44:34
Post Tools
Chess_Addict wrote on 11/17/13 at 20:13:41:
no theory whatsover, only thematic games to explain the main structures. seen approx a fourth of it so can't say more.

Could you say more about the disc, please? Is it worth to buy it?
Anyone else has seen it? Thanks a lot.

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/13 at 13:40:57
Post Tools
Does he do a good job on the chess part? Struggled a bit with his english...

Normally Marin is a sign of quality...

IP Logged

Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 11/17/13 at 20:13:41
Post Tools
no theory whatsover, only thematic games to explain the main structures. seen approx a fourth of it so can't say more.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Dutch Leningrad Marin DVD
11/15/13 at 03:15:26
Post Tools
Anyone viewed?
Lines? (notably: ...c6, ...Qe8, ...Nc6 w/ Na5 or Ne5 which?)
Depth?
References to other texts?
Clarity of explanations?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo