Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: What was the Opening Book of the Year for 2013?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

The King's Gambit ~ Shaw    
  23 (32.4%)
The Open Spanish ~ Mikhalevski    
  6 (8.5%)
The Panov-Botvinnik Attack ~ D'Costa    
  0 (0.0%)
Kotronias on the King's Indian, V. 1: Fianch    
  4 (5.6%)
GM Repertoire 12: The Modern Benoni~ Petrov    
  3 (4.2%)
Playing the French ~Aagaard & Ntirlis    
  14 (19.7%)
The Ultimate anti-Grunfeld...~Svetushkin    
  2 (2.8%)
A Practical White Rep. w/ 1.d4 &2.c4~Kornev    
  4 (5.6%)
GM Repertoire 14: The French Defence v 1~Berg    
  0 (0.0%)
The Perfect Pirc-Modern ~Moskalenko    
  3 (4.2%)
GM Repertoire 14: The French Defence v 2~Berg    
  5 (7.0%)
Cunning Chess Opening Rep. for White~Burgess    
  7 (9.9%)

Total votes: 71
« Last Modified by: Smyslov_Fan on: 02/12/14 at 16:31:48 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) John Shaw wins 2013 Opening Book of the Year! (Read 71262 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: John Shaw wins 2013 Opening Book of the Year!
Reply #162 - 03/03/14 at 19:03:52
Post Tools
Congratulations to John Shaw! I didn't vote for the king's gambit book since I haven't seen it, but I'm sure it is fantastic.

I can't vote in the novelty poll, since the right definition (mine of course!) isn't there: Not previously played, mentioned or suggested by a human in a known source.

The way they use "anyone" (compared to "human" in option B) it appears to include moves/suggestions from computers. But in my view a move being known from computer games or raw computer analysis (like Chessbase's engine cloud) doesn't "un-noveltize" it. That takes at least some human involvement.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #161 - 03/03/14 at 16:38:57
Post Tools
@Stefan:

Certainly this is not the case. As for now, option (C) is leading the poll. People are free to vote whatever they believe. I voted for (B) as this is what i always believe that this sign means. It has happened me to be a co-author in two books and both times when there was an "N" that i knew that had been suggested elsewhere i mentioned it in the text as well as i put the source at the bibliography section. If most people really believe that this is a bad practice, if i happen to coauthor a book again i'll reconsider the issue Smiley

@Brabo:
I think that it should be obvious that your opinions and contributions are regarded highly even by those that stand at the opposite side of the argument.   At least for me (i don't know if you remember that at all) an old "conflict" between us in a Stonewall thread transformed and improved my way of thinking in chess analysis and i am not sure if i have ever thanked you for that (probably i have, but repeating it must not be bad  Smiley).

IP Logged

John Shaw
YaBB Newbies

Reply #160 - 03/03/14 at 14:59:39
Post Tools
Hello ChessPub people,

Thanks for taking enough of an interest in chess books to vote, whoever you voted for. Obviously I am happy Quality Chess finished first and second, but if you followed the thread you will note there was criticism of some parts of The King’s Gambit, particularly from Stefan Buecker. I stayed out of it while the vote was open, as replying might have seemed like campaigning for votes, which doesn’t feel in the spirit of the vote.

The short version is that some of the criticisms seem accurate on the facts, but some of the hints and speculation about why they happened are far too cynical. Writing a chess book is a tough task, and impossible to do without slips (at least in our experience). In reality, any errors were accidental, and not intentionally planned to increase sales or boost my reputation as a King’s Gambit expert (good grief).

Did I say something was a Novelty when I knew it had been played in a game? No.

Did I intentionally misquote someone’s analysis or pass someone else’s analysis off as my own? No.

Did I misspell ‘Kaissiber’? Yes, sorry about that. It seems when I added the name to my spellchecker I messed up, so I made sure I had it wrong every time. Also, I don’t read German, so those magazines were tricky for me to follow.

I will not go into a blow-by-blow about every point (though I will contact Stefan privately by email to ask if he wishes to point out where he thinks errors about him should be corrected in any possible reprint) but let me take the Novelty issue as an example.

This 5.Qe2 move was apparently played by Bronstein. I am happy to believe this, but our database does not have this game (that’s how I see if a move is a novelty or not). If I knew how to post an image, I could show a screenshot taken from my database to back this up, but I hope reasonable people will simply believe me.

Similarly, in the case of a game Koch-Kosten. I claimed a move Kosten later played was a novelty (I say ‘later’ as Tony’s game was played after the chapter was written). Apparently there were previous games with this move, but not in our database, which still shows Tony’s game as the only example.

So in summary: thanks to all, and sorry to those upset by my errors, but please try to be less cynical about my motives.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #159 - 03/03/14 at 12:57:36
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 03/03/14 at 12:25:48:
Today someone has started a poll at the Quality Chess Blog:

Poll
What do you understand the word Novelty (N) to mean?
Not previously played in a game
Not previously played in a game by humans
Not previously played, mentioned or suggested by anyone

Does anybody have an idea what this poll is about?
Grin

Nicely phrased questions, pretty sure that the outcome is exactly how Jacob Aagaard wants it to be.

You got a poll, I got even today an article "Gentlemanship, correct behaviour and tricking the opponent"  Grin

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #158 - 03/03/14 at 12:25:48
Post Tools
Today someone has started a poll at the Quality Chess Blog:

Poll
What do you understand the word Novelty (N) to mean?
Not previously played in a game
Not previously played in a game by humans
Not previously played, mentioned or suggested by anyone

Does anybody have an idea what this poll is about?
Grin

Nicely phrased questions, pretty sure that the outcome is exactly how Jacob Aagaard wants it to be.

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Re: 2013 Opening Book of the Year
Reply #157 - 03/03/14 at 07:38:11
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 03/01/14 at 22:12:06:
Ametanoitos wrote on 03/01/14 at 19:28:11:
Also, i really liked the concept of Burgess' book, but many times i found his suggestions a bit too dry for my taste and for sidelines a bit too demanding on theory.

I thought of it as an opening book fashioned after Carlsen's playing style. Not necessarily critical in theory, but playable positions from which you can pose the opponent some problems.

All-critical-all-the-time repertoires are probably going to go the way of the dodo after what Khalifman went through with his Anand series. Grin

And this, among other things, is true too.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #156 - 03/03/14 at 07:35:36
Post Tools
This won't count for the poll, but I am in favor of Burgess' "A Cunning Repertoire for White".

It is very coherent in every sense and Burgess is among the best or as best as they come when writing, and this book keeps him at that spot.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #155 - 03/01/14 at 23:26:59
Post Tools
I don't think so.  You swerve between traditional QGDs, Torres, Catalans, offbeat KIDs and Grunfelds, etc.  It seems like you're just trying to get to positions that are less familiar to Black, but in doing so, you have to learn to play a slew of different opening systems.  There's no rhyme or reason to the choices save avoiding some (not all) of the main lines.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #154 - 03/01/14 at 22:42:01
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 03/01/14 at 22:27:31:
I was underwhelmed by Burgess.  You have to learn a lot of different lines and kinds of positions in the attempt to catch Black out in something he won't like.  Fair enough; but if you're going to do all the work to learn these varied positions and approaches, why not learn the main lines?

Presumably because it will take much longer to learn and you have less chance to drag a player into a line he is either unfamiliar and/or uncomfortable with?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #153 - 03/01/14 at 22:27:31
Post Tools
I was underwhelmed by Burgess.  You have to learn a lot of different lines and kinds of positions in the attempt to catch Black out in something he won't like.  Fair enough; but if you're going to do all the work to learn these varied positions and approaches, why not learn the main lines?

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #152 - 03/01/14 at 22:12:06
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 03/01/14 at 19:28:11:
Also, i really liked the concept of Burgess' book, but many times i found his suggestions a bit too dry for my taste and for sidelines a bit too demanding on theory.

I thought of it as an opening book fashioned after Carlsen's playing style. Not necessarily critical in theory, but playable positions from which you can pose the opponent some problems.

All-critical-all-the-time repertoires are probably going to go the way of the dodo after what Khalifman went through with his Anand series. Grin

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #151 - 03/01/14 at 22:02:56
Post Tools
Yes, congratulations to Shaw, and indeed all the authors who were nominated!

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #150 - 03/01/14 at 19:45:48
Post Tools
Congrats to Shaw and QC!

After the good result I think I might have to buy Playing the French ...  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #149 - 03/01/14 at 19:28:11
Post Tools
Indeed, the WInawer book is outstanding and will be the reference book for years to come i think.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #148 - 03/01/14 at 18:25:28
Post Tools
I still think Berg has been the best work by a long way. But hey. Good luck to the winners.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo