Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Trying to put a dpawn special rep together (Read 10935 times)
StevenRusso
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Trying to put a dpawn special rep together
Reply #9 - 12/10/16 at 09:14:07
Post Tools
online postings.

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #8 - 03/02/14 at 21:22:01
Post Tools
BladezII wrote on 03/02/14 at 08:04:21:
whatteaux wrote on 03/02/14 at 06:14:49:
BladezII wrote on 03/02/14 at 01:17:53:
I would recommend Gallagher's system or the system that Gallagher advocates in his book k"A cunning repertoire for White"

I think that book was written by Burgess, rather than Gallagher, was it not?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1906454639/

Cheesy   Cheesy     Cheesy     Cheesy 

This was addressed above.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/02/14 at 17:42:05
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 02/12/14 at 15:12:29:
Hi all,

I have played different dpawn specials in the past and have done ok with them in over the board play. Coming back to chess after a little layoff and also having some family obligations, I was thinking of narrowing my rep (but I also like dpawn specials so it is a win win.)

I
5) Well not sure if I forgot anything, if so let me know.

The Barry is dead from what I can see.  I would recommend Gallagher's system or the system that Gallagher advocates in his book k"A cunning repertoire for White"  The fianchetto system but no c4 deployed early.  In fact, you can use his book for the whole repertoire of d pawn specials, since he advocates the Torre too.

what is Gallagher's system?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #6 - 03/02/14 at 15:44:59
Post Tools
I have a repertoire centered on the Torre (against all Indian defences), QGD Exchange (with Nf3 obviously) and Slav Exchange.

Against 2...c5, I play Anti-Benonis with 3.d5 and Nc3, but if you want to save time, you can go 3.c3 and transpose in a Torre or Exchange Slav.

This repertoire is theoretically completely innocuous, but fairly economical.

If you want something even simpler, you can replace the Torre with the London, but from a practical point of view, I think the Torre is a much better choice.

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

Aziridine

Reply #5 - 03/02/14 at 14:48:58
Post Tools
4) d5, I do not know what to do at all, how do you dpawn special players handle it? I would go into a queens gambit exchange but I always used to play it with 000 (not used to my knight on f3.) Then I would have to find something vs the slav. I have played the Colle-Zukertort but it's those bf5 lines. Maybe I just have not found the right book to explain the idears. I have played the blackmar and went of the recent book on it, but it just seems like too much memorization (lots of forced stuff) for me. Oh I also could try the london. Is that alittle better vs d5?

Maybe the Slav Exchange? With the main lines of the Slav looking so solid these days, even the 2700s are sometimes giving it a try. Jobava's games are worth a look. I played it at club level for the longest time, with a success rate that surprised even myself.
None of the d-pawn specials really give White much against 1...d5 anyway.

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #4 - 03/02/14 at 08:04:21
Post Tools
whatteaux wrote on 03/02/14 at 06:14:49:
I would recommend Gallagher's system or the system that Gallagher advocates in his book k"A cunning repertoire for White"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1906454639/

Cheesy   Cheesy     Cheesy     Cheesy

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #3 - 03/02/14 at 06:14:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #2 - 03/02/14 at 01:17:53
Post Tools
Hi all,

I have played different dpawn specials in the past and have done ok with them in over the board play. Coming back to chess after a little layoff and also having some family obligations, I was thinking of narrowing my rep (but I also like dpawn specials so it is a win win.)

I am just not sure what to play.

1) Against pirc/kid, 150 and Barry.

2) Dutch, probably bg5 or nc3.

3) Nimzo stuff, like to look into the Torre. I guess that would work against the queens indian, but if not, I do like the pawn e3 and c4 stuff that was given in Killer Opening Rep.

3)Benoni, not sure if I should play benoni's with out pawn to c4 or just play the pawn c4 stuff. Is not having a pawn on c4 a really big advantage? Then if I do play the main lines, what lines?

4) d5, I do not know what to do at all, how do you dpawn special players handle it? I would go into a queens gambit exchange but I always used to play it with 000 (not used to my knight on f3.) Then I would have to find something vs the slav. I have played the Colle-Zukertort but it's those bf5 lines. Maybe I just have not found the right book to explain the idears. I have played the blackmar and went of the recent book on it, but it just seems like too much memorization (lots of forced stuff) for me. Oh I also could try the london. Is that alittle better vs d5?

I also dabbled with the Tromp, it's an interesting opening for sure, but it's just not for me. Same with the veresov.

Well an suggestions would be great.

The Barry is dead from what I can see.  I would recommend Gallagher's system or the system that Gallagher advocates in his book k"A cunning repertoire for White"  The fianchetto system but no c4 deployed early.  In fact, you can use his book for the whole repertoire of d pawn specials, since he advocates the Torre too.

150 vs Pirc is good.

Both systems vs Dutch are good, but you have one problem -  What do you play vs Dutch players who open with 1... e6 ? You cannot use 2.Bg5

Torre works vs Nimzo/QInd

Torre works vs Benoni players too.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #1 - 02/12/14 at 20:28:39
Post Tools
Well since your question is very broad I will refer you to "Killer Repertoire" by Summerscale as a repertoire book for d-pawn specials.  Graham Burgess's "Cunning" book covers the Torre Attack and Queen's Gambit and is a fine complement/upgrade to the d-pawn specials.  Besides aptly describing Hannibal Lecter, "Cunning" and "Killer" between them would provide plenty of material to put together a varied and manageable repertoire for your purposes consisting of 1.d4 2.Nf3 with options of 3.e3 or 3.c4 (or 3.Bg5 in the case of Torre Attk).

On Benoni, just play without a pawn on c4.  Black can get a weird Sicilian where he forgot to take c5xd4 and white favorably pushes to d5. In that case White will probably play a2-a4 to slow down b7-b5 and White can put a bishop or especially a knight on c4.  I wouldn't study any theory on that.

Colle-Zukertort is a strange, subtle and difficult opening in my opinion-- I have always thought of it as a Queen's Indian reversed which is not an opening for beginners.  QGD seems to me way more straightforward and simple.  But whatever, it's your choice so just go with whatever seems more logical and intuitive to you personally.

Of course it goes without saying that tactics/middlegame stuff will improve your game more than opening study-- but I have tried to answer your question rather than critique it.  Good luck.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Trying to put a dpawn special rep together
02/12/14 at 15:12:29
Post Tools
Hi all,

I am just not sure what to play.

1) Against pirc/kid, 150 and Barry.

2) Dutch, probably bg5 or nc3.

3) Nimzo stuff, like to look into the Torre. I guess that would work against the queens indian, but if not, I do like the pawn e3 and c4 stuff that was given in Killer Opening Rep.

3)Benoni, not sure if I should play benoni's with out pawn to c4 or just play the pawn c4 stuff. Is not having a pawn on c4 a really big advantage? Then if I do play the main lines, what lines?

I also dabbled with the Tromp, it's an interesting opening for sure, but it's just not for me. Same with the veresov.

Well an suggestions would be great.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo