Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Any one playing the queen's indian? (Read 10744 times)
BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Re: Any one playing the queen's indian?
Reply #10 - 02/28/14 at 17:36:28
Post Tools
The QID is a lot less theory demanding than one might think when it comes to playability. It runs on ideas more than anything else. The theory crops up when you reach an understanding of what is the best idea to reach equality in a given position and why.

Very flexible opening; I've been playing it for over a decade. Greet's book and Khalifman's book are both good for it in their own way.

One example of QID flexibility that comes to mind is related to the Colle to Classical transposition. Let's say White plays 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.e3 b6 4.Bd3 Bb7 5.0-0. The idea is often to play c4 on the next move, having side-stepped Black's ...Bd6 continuations and angling for more hacky kingside attacks. However, Black can suddenly switch tracks himself with 5...c5 6.c4 d6 7.Nc3 Nbd7, and have Hedgehog positions in mind.

Examples in this vein also abound in the more typical continuations.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #9 - 02/27/14 at 09:14:10
Post Tools
About QID and theory, according to Aagaards dvd QID is more theory demanding than the Nimzo!

I would say that Bogo Indian hardly requires any theory at all and might be the reasons why most repertour books goes for it instead.

If black plays QID he also need to have a line against 3 g3 as well while Bogo Indian can play the same line, white has nothing better than to transpose back into mainline.

An other book I se unmentioned in this thread is Chess Explained - the Queen Indian. However as I recall it is not a reperotour book.

Khalifmans  book is interesting and I even uses some Nimzo line from that book but it is a bit out of date in somelines.

« Last Edit: 02/27/14 at 20:29:11 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #8 - 02/25/14 at 12:16:49
Post Tools
Pingudon wrote on 02/25/14 at 03:52:05:
Thanks a lot for your answers. I am going to try Greet book.

Just be aware there's an issue with one of the 4.g3 Ba6 5.b3 b5 lines. The refutation of the line as given has, I believe, been played in a ICCF correspondence game. I think there's some discussion on some of the issues in an issue of the Kibitzer (or perhaps it was somewhere else?) with some ideas how to deviate, if I recall correctly. It's all a bit vague in my mind, because I briefly looked at those lines and in the end had decided not to play them (and use the rest of his repertoire).

Greet provides one good line against the 4.g3 Ba6 5.Qc2 variation that avoids the whole gambit mess.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #7 - 02/25/14 at 08:54:24
Post Tools
I just bought Khalifman's 2001 book on the Nimzo+QID (+ Caro-Kann!), could be worth a look. He gives nice explanations everywhere but it's a very small book so be careful. For example, he doesn't even mention this Qc2+d5 gambit, nor some stuff that I play against the Nimzo with white. The book got an awful review on chesscafe but ChessPub members like it.

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Reply #6 - 02/25/14 at 03:52:05
Post Tools
Thanks a lot for your answers. I am going to try Greet book.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Dark Knight
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 02/24/14 at 23:00:53
Post Tools
I play both the Nimzo Indian and the Queen's Indian. Both are sophisticated, reliable and dynamic. Two points about the Queen's Indian, since that is the one on topic: 1) White has a lot of options and the dynamism of the opening can mean there is a lot to learn and understand if you want to get the most from it. But then you will have a very reliable, top class weapon in your repertoire. 2) After 4 g3 Ba6 (the most dynamic in my opinion) 5 Qc2, White's d5 pawn sacrifice (following 5...Bb7 6 Bg2 c5 or immediately after 5...c5) is at least a practical annoyance. However, this can be avoided.

Greet's book is very good indeed. Recommended.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #4 - 02/24/14 at 20:30:25
Post Tools
I think the Queen's Indian is a fine opening and very thematic as Pingudon suggests. My concern about playing it (with the Nimzo), as opposed to a Slav, is the practicality of facing flank openings e.g. the English, not worrying about the amount of theory as opposed to the Bogo Indian.

IP Logged

Aziridine

Reply #3 - 02/24/14 at 20:03:25
Post Tools
Black can avoid that line with 4...Bb7, 4...Bb4+ or 5...Bb4+. It isn't really possible for White to force Black into playing sharp lines in the QID if Black doesn't want to.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #2 - 02/24/14 at 18:23:58
Post Tools
I'm sure that's right, but items like this --

http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?&ProductID=993&_utm_campaign=...

-- serve as a reminder that there are some sharp lines to look out for ...

IP Logged

Aziridine

Reply #1 - 02/24/14 at 17:56:30
Post Tools
Actually, Greet wrote an excellent book on the Queen's Indian, and Kaufman also recommends the Queen's Indian to Grunfeld players facing 1.Nf3. The Bogo-Indian may be less theoretical and the Benoni may be sharper, but it's hard to beat the Queen's Indian in terms of reliability.

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Any one playing the queen's indian?
02/24/14 at 17:21:51
Post Tools
Hi friends! I am trying to learn to play well the complex Nimzo/QI against 1.d4. I think that playing semi slav or King's indian is much more difficult because there are so many forcing lines. Nimzo a queen's indian is more about understanding positions. But most of repertoire books prefer Bogoindian and Benoni but not the QI. Is there any reason for that? Could you please give me your  opinión  Smiley Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo