Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 3 pieces vs 2 rooks - which side is usually better (Read 1606 times)
erasmus_b_dragon
YaBB Newbies

Re: 3 pieces vs 2 rooks - which side is usually better
Reply #7 - 02/28/14 at 21:02:06
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 02/28/14 at 10:43:04:
Interesting question, and the correct answer isn't at all obvious to me and, I'm sure, must depend a lot on other factors like whether the side the minors has the bishop pair, passed pawns, king position, open files, outposts for minor pieces, etc.  These two minors are better than this rook, but this other rook is better than the other minor, so....?

I always want to test claims written in chess books, even if I like the author!

Here is a more recent game in which the Rs seem to have the advantage. As you said, the pawn situation (in this case the white a-pawns) can be a huge factor. Also white's b2 bishop doesn't have a lot of wiggle room and there is a danger of a black R (or 2) invading on the 2nd rank.

[White "Bernal Moro, Luis Javier"]
                        [Black "Gomez Jurado, Luis Alberto"]
                        [WhiteElo "2424"]
                        [BlackElo "2299"]
                        [ECO "D47"]
                        [EventDate "2008.09.03"]
                        [EventRounds "5"]
                        [EventCountry "ESP"]
                        [SourceDate "2008.10.01"]
                        [Result "0-1"]

« Last Edit: 03/01/14 at 15:43:44 by erasmus_b_dragon »  

Iter praemium est

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #6 - 02/28/14 at 19:55:56
Post Tools
Btw, I happened to come across another example of this imbalance, RR+p vs BNN - neither side was confident enough to play on, though.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 02/28/14 at 10:43:04
Post Tools
Interesting question, and the correct answer isn't at all obvious to me and, I'm sure, must depend a lot on other factors like whether the side the minors has the bishop pair, passed pawns, king position, open files, outposts for minor pieces, etc.  These two minors are better than this rook, but this other rook is better than the other minor, so....?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #4 - 02/28/14 at 09:58:57
Post Tools
It obviously depends a lot on the pawn structure and if the three pieces are BBN or NNB.

On a reasonably open board I'd assume that BBN generally have a better chance of winning the exchange than the rooks have of winning a piece. The minors may also be more effective in a race between passed pawns as they can gain time by hitting the rooks.

And in analysis the possible pawnless endings will always have an impact on the verdict. For instance, I have an older thread here where Vass showed me that RBB or RBN vs RB are both nearly always winning according to the 7men base. Though this example may be more important if both sides have an additional piece.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/28/14 at 08:58:41
Post Tools
Looks a good setting for the pieces that game. The bishop pair for starters which is obviously worth a chunk extra here but also a pretty stable pawn structure, homes for the knight etc.

If a rook can (sometimes!) beat two pieces then 2 will logically sometimes beat three Smiley

IP Logged

erasmus_b_dragon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 02/28/14 at 03:09:43
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 02/28/14 at 02:51:04:
I've never had two rooks vs three minor pieces, but this makes sense to me. The one common two rooks vs no rooks scenario is 2R v Q, where the one nice thing you can do with the rooks is line them up and pick off pawns that the other side can't defend well because he has fewer pieces than you. But in 2R vs BBN, that seems much less possible.

Well, I actually looked at some 3 piece vs 2R master games, and the rooks did OK more often than I expected. Again, it may be the case that 2Rs are on average stronger in endgames than middlegames because they start slower, both agains Q and 3 pieces. In the capa-alekhine game, after the trade of Qs capa's game seemed better.

Quote:
Funnily Soltis mentions the same game in Rethinking the Chess Pieces and claims that Alekhine just miscalculated, thinking he was winning two exchanges but forgetting about the third piece. But Soltis has a habit of making up what players were thinking.

That is consistent with what Soltis said in The Inner Game of Chess. He also gives a real Alekhine quote: "'A miscalculation of a most peculiar kind,' wrote Alekhine. He thought he was winning two exchanges..."

Iter praemium est

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #1 - 02/28/14 at 02:51:04
Post Tools
I've never had two rooks vs three minor pieces, but this makes sense to me. The one common two rooks vs no rooks scenario is 2R v Q, where the one nice thing you can do with the rooks is line them up and pick off pawns that the other side can't defend well because he has fewer pieces than you. But in 2R vs BBN, that seems much less possible.

Funnily Soltis mentions the same game in Rethinking the Chess Pieces and claims that Alekhine just miscalculated, thinking he was winning two exchanges but forgetting about the third piece. But Soltis has a habit of making up what players were thinking.

IP Logged

erasmus_b_dragon
YaBB Newbies

3 pieces vs 2 rooks - which side is usually better
02/28/14 at 02:28:27
Post Tools
NOTE I am not really interested in pawn-less endings here. But in endings the pawns should probably be materially even, or balanced in some other way. I realize that in my example, white has an extra pawn, but it is doubled/isolated.

Soltis in The Inner Game of Chess, commenting on Capablanca-Alekhine Nottingham 1936 (1-0), imagines that Alekhine should have thought, "I know from experience that three pieces are almost always better than two rooks."

Does the evidence really support that assertion? Are the rooks likely to be stronger in an endgame than early middlegame (because in the latter case the rooks may not yet be well deployed)?

Seems like Alekhine was OK before he played 29...Qf6, although maybe when the white N gets to d5 black is in trouble

Iter praemium est

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo