Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1. d4 c6!? (Read 11219 times)
ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Re: 1. d4 c6!?
Reply #5 - 03/02/14 at 21:47:46
Post Tools
These move-order tricks should have a specific point; it's not generally done just to get a 1-second delay.

The point is often to to prevent (or prepare a line you like against) something you don't want to see. For example, for a person who likes to play sharp Benkos , 1.d4 e6 might have the point that if White tries the "cunning" 2.Nf3 to get a main-line d4/c4 system without allowing the Benko, Black can play 2...c5, and whatever White does, he can't get a mainline d4/c4 system at all.

On the other hand, such move-order tricks always allow something ELSE in return, as well as restricting your own options. For example, in the above system Black had better be ready to play a main-line open Sicilian after 3.e4!

Unless you have a specific purpose in mind, it's usually not worth it.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 03/02/14 at 20:13:38
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/02/14 at 17:13:16:
The only downside I can think of, is that it limits Black's choice vs the different d4-systems, London, Colle, Colle-Zukertort, Veresov etc. Not sure how much of a problem that is though...

Agreed. Theoretically I 1. d4 c6 is perfectly fine yet a bit unflexibel. I played 1...e6 against d4, when I played the french against e4 but eventually abandon it because of the greater flexibility....

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #3 - 03/02/14 at 17:13:16
Post Tools
The only downside I can think of, is that it limits Black's choice vs the different d4-systems, London, Colle, Colle-Zukertort, Veresov etc. Not sure how much of a problem that is though...

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #2 - 03/02/14 at 17:04:17
Post Tools
Marc Benford wrote on 03/02/14 at 16:50:56:
Hello.

I was just wondering, if as Black I normally play the Caro-Kann and the Slav (but I slightly prefer the Caro-Kann), is it a good idea to answer 1. d4 with 1... c6!?

I looked in an opening database, but it looks like 1... c6 is extremely rare and is only played 0.3% of the time.
What's wrong with it? Doesn't it just transpose into either a Slav or a Caro-Kann?

Does it have a psychological effect on weak opponents? Maybe they will be a little surprised, and thus they will take slightly more time to make their second move, and so it would be an effective subterfuge especially in blitz.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I don't think there's any real problem with 1.d4 c6. I just can't really think of any advantage over 1.d4 d5 with c6 as needed when white plays c4, while in some cases (if why does not go for c4) not having spent time on c7-c6 or being able to play c7-c5 in one go may be an advantage.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/02/14 at 17:03:43
Post Tools
Of course it's fine and will generally transpose to something normal (though I seem to recall 2. c4 b5 being the subject of a recent Yearbook article ...).

IP Logged

Marc Benford

I Love ChessPublishing!

1. d4 c6!?
03/02/14 at 16:50:56
Post Tools
Hello.

I was just wondering, if as Black I normally play the Caro-Kann and the Slav (but I slightly prefer the Caro-Kann), is it a good idea to answer 1. d4 with 1... c6!?

I looked in an opening database, but it looks like 1... c6 is extremely rare and is only played 0.3% of the time.
What's wrong with it? Doesn't it just transpose into either a Slav or a Caro-Kann?

Does it have a psychological effect on weak opponents? Maybe they will be a little surprised, and thus they will take slightly more time to make their second move, and so it would be an effective subterfuge especially in blitz.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo