Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lalic 2014. Play the Accelerated Dragon (Read 101374 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Lalic 2014. Play the Accelerated Dragon
Reply #76 - 07/25/14 at 17:22:48
Post Tools
So basically Bekemann (who incidentally co-authored 1. e4 siegt!, i.e. "1. e4 wins" ...) likes the book, and Peter's fresh youthfulness.

Re Donaldson:
"Back in 1981 I met a young chess fanatic named John Donaldson.  After a brief talk I discovered that we shared a mutual fascination -- we both had a deep love for the Accelerated Dragon."

--Silman in the introduction to the first (1993) edition of their joint work

IP Logged

Peter Lalic
YaBB Newbies

Reply #75 - 07/25/14 at 16:44:29
Post Tools
Here is the first review of the book, albeit in German:
http://www.bdf-fernschachbund.de/service/rezensionen/2014/rezens2014.htm#playthe...

Here is John Donaldson's review from Jeremy Silman's website:
http://www.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/Play-the-Accelerated-Dragon-76p3869.htm

In 1993 (my mistake) they collaborated on their own Accelerated Dragon book. That might explain why he analyses the actual recommendations in such depth (as opposed to the quality of writing). My friend told me that John doesn't normally do this, and was thus surprised by his review.
« Last Edit: 07/25/14 at 18:00:29 by Peter Lalic »  
IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #74 - 05/25/14 at 16:19:36
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/25/14 at 15:25:18:
Regarding ...Nh6 and (eventual) ...f5, books I'm aware of have mostly differed on whether it should lead to += or ±.  I'm thinking the Furman-Spassky version has long been commonly given as ±.

Martin has a nice DVD (Foxy) about Nh6 and f7-f5, including the Furman-Spassky game.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #73 - 05/25/14 at 15:25:18
Post Tools
Regarding ...Nh6 and (eventual) ...f5, books I'm aware of have mostly differed on whether it should lead to += or ±.  I'm thinking the Furman-Spassky version has long been commonly given as ±.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #72 - 05/25/14 at 14:30:27
Post Tools
I think Greet's book is a much, much better "starting out" book, hence the title. Wink For me it's the best "starting out" book I have ever read.

I find Lalic's book a welcome addition, especially because of the verbal explanations and the (game-)references of minor moves made at (my) club-level.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #71 - 05/25/14 at 14:21:52
Post Tools
According to Greet 7.Be2 d6, postponing f7-f5, is better.

IP Logged

MNb
YaBB Moderator

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #70 - 05/25/14 at 13:18:57
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 05/25/14 at 09:12:28:
he mentions is one game with ...Nh6, ...0-0 and f7-f5 (Furman-Spassky, 1957) which looks like an enterprising idea, but he doesn't give any details on it. Presumably there's something wrong with it if it was only popular in the 1950s...

Because of "few things are as good as reviving a half forgotten idea with a bad reputation" I have looked at this - also because it looks like fun at first sight. Alas 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.c4 Bg7 6.Be3 Nh6 (inserting d6 7.Nc3 and now Nh6 hardly improves) 7.Be2 f5 8.exf5 is just good for White.
If Black doesn't mind some work it might be an idea to combine the Kalashnikov (and I'm waiting for TonyRo's book indeed) with the Accelerated Dragon: 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3/3.Nge2 g6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Bg7 etc.
« Last Edit: 05/25/14 at 18:58:13 by MNb »  

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Lalic 2014 Play the Accelerated Dragon
Reply #69 - 05/25/14 at 09:18:29
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 05/24/14 at 17:27:37:
TalJechin wrote on 05/23/14 at 11:13:42:
Got curious and got the book. I used to play it a long time ago, and in that respect it works fairly well by reminding of useful and typical tactics. It probably works best for former Dragoneers, people mainly playing online blitz, and those who get Angst when opening an Informator!

In a way it reminds me of Facebook, reading the book is like having two people explaining the opening on FB, one is telling you the need to know stuff and the other is interjecting ways for White to go wrong mixed with a lot of references to popular culture, 2½ Men, Friends etc - it seems the author must be watching a lot of TV!

The are also some new chess terms I hadn't seen before, like "the AC/DC bishop" and "the Marco hop" - I'm perhaps from the wrong age group and country, or maybe it's the author's own terms...

To the group it's aimed at it will probably fill a void in the market and enthuse some new players to take up "the AC/DC". Though, in time they may want to consult a more theoretical source for specific lines.

So, you think this is more a starter book up to elo 1600?

Yeah, it feels like a chatty starting out book, but it can probably be useful up to at least 2000 or higher, depending on the individuals. Not everyone is looking for ready made answers to everything, but prefer just being pointed in the right directions.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #68 - 05/25/14 at 09:12:28
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 05/24/14 at 04:42:57:
Got curious and got the book. I used to play it a long time ago, and in that respect it works fairly well by reminding of useful and typical tactics. It probably works best for former Dragoneers, people mainly playing online blitz, and those who get Angst when opening an Informator!

In a way it reminds me of Facebook, reading the book is like having two people explaining the opening on FB, one is telling you the need to know stuff and the other is interjecting ways for White to go wrong mixed with a lot of references to popular culture, 2½ Men, Friends etc - it seems the author must be watching a lot of TV!

The are also some new chess terms I hadn't seen before, like "the AC/DC bishop" and "the Marco hop" - I'm perhaps from the wrong age group and country, or maybe it's the author's own terms...

To the group it's aimed at it will probably fill a void in the market and enthuse some new players to take up "the AC/DC". Though, in time they may want to consult a more theoretical source for specific lines.

How do the recommendations stand up, in your opinion? Specifically the Gurgenidze.

I'm not asking for any specific analysis, just some general thoughts.

Well, his main source on the Maroczy seems to be Tiviakov's dvd.
I played the AD back in the later part of the 80s to early 90s, so it's hard for me to have an opinion - iirc I played ...Ng4, ...Nxd4-e6 back then, or Qa5, a6, Rfc8 etc - without an early Nc6xd4 which is Lalic's main recommendation. Among the alternatives he mentions is one game with ...Nh6, ...0-0 and f7-f5 (Furman-Spassky, 1957) which looks like an enterprising idea, but he doesn't give any details on it. Presumably there's something wrong with it if it was only popular in the 1950s...

Anyway, I doubt I'll be playing the AD in anything more serious than blitz - it's probably the easiest open Sicilian to learn and play, but gets a bit monotonous when you play it too much.

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #67 - 05/24/14 at 17:27:37
Post Tools

So, you think this is more a starter book up to elo 1600?

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #66 - 05/24/14 at 04:42:57
Post Tools

How do the recommendations stand up, in your opinion? Specifically the Gurgenidze.

I'm not asking for any specific analysis, just some general thoughts.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

edgy

"Long ago he was one of
the singers"

Reply #65 - 05/24/14 at 01:35:14
Post Tools

The term "Marco hop" was used by Andy Soltis in Pawn Structure Chess.  Not sure if it was original with Soltis, nor do I know where "AC/DC bishop" might come from.

Caissa have mercy on a miserable patzer: http://altergoniff.blogspot.com
IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #64 - 05/23/14 at 11:18:49
Post Tools
nope, removing the "." in the title didn't help.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #63 - 05/23/14 at 11:13:42
Post Tools

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #62 - 05/21/14 at 18:01:08
Post Tools
Silman+Donaldson give not 7.Qd2 followed by 8.f3 but this line is still in the book from the 7.f3 and 8.Qd2 move order where 7..0-0 and 8..d5! are given.

So ok 7.Qd2 is not mentionned but the final point is here... Personnaly I like this book a lot but it's for someone who likes variations more than words. I still use it from time to time even if it's outdated in the 0-0 Uogele and in some 3.Qxd4 lines of the Hyper accelerated Dragon.

I have bought Greet's book but sold it soon after because it didn't learn me anything new beside a few things. I don't say it was a bad book but I speak as an "advanced" player on the Accelerated/Hyper Accelerated Dragon. For starters it seemed very good.

I am surprised that Peter Lalic wrote a book on the subject because: He is lower rated than me, his rating is not very high, and it seems he has not a big experience/study with the accelerated dragon (some games played on 2013) and his study was limited to a database/computer for his book.

I am always sceptikal when a Grandmaster write a book about a subject he don't know before his book. I am Sceptikal about non-master books too but sometimes they know their subject very well or they compensate with a good correspondance play on the subject or their deep homework.

Here Peter Lalic has nothing of that beside maybe a deep homework (but someone incomplete because of his method).

So to take his defense I imagine it may be a good book for Amateurs but I don't imagine it's very useful for a 2000+ who have studied the Accelerated Dragon with other sources. Amateurs may wonder what his book has more to begin compared as a book like Greet's one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo