Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Taylor's King's Gambit book pulled? (Read 102296 times)
IM_Serious

Bibliophile

Re: Taylor's King's Gambit book pulled?
Reply #60 - 06/04/16 at 13:17:17
Post Tools
Apparently it's finally published.

Hardcover, only 200 copies, 792 pages, $90 includes shipping.

facebook.com/TimTaylorChessFiction/posts/1037113699676482

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #59 - 03/23/16 at 04:07:43
Post Tools
Hi,

I'm sorry but I've been AWOL from the site for a while now. Looking back over the course of this discussion, perhaps it is time to close the thread entirely.

i will give the parties one last chance to respond, then close this thread on or around Easter. I won't delete it, so others may refer to it. But I agree that it's time to move on.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #58 - 02/28/16 at 07:10:37
Post Tools
I'm inclined to second katar's post.  (For the record, I'm a Southern United-Statesian whose recollection of Taylor dates from his participation in the National Open in Mobile, Alabama in 1977) ...

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #57 - 02/28/16 at 06:28:17
Post Tools
CaptainDunsel wrote on 02/27/16 at 14:36:17:
I talked to a publisher who confirmed the prevailing opinion in the industry that Taylor lacks a certain emotional maturity, which I've noticed is clear even from his chess writings.  Just read his chess analysis, and see for yourself.

It is fine to discuss events that occurred, but I would like to avoid name-calling and conclusive evaluations of a person's "emotional maturity."
In the quoted text, an anonymous commenter cites an anonymous source as the purported "prevailing opinion in the industry."  Even if all that could be considered true as opposed to a defamatory, unsourced opinion, please let's just stick to the facts and avoid judgments.  Better yet, why not avoid drama altogether and just discuss chess moves.  Taylor was in a vulnerable spot based on his pleas for donations for his wife's health condition, which does not always bring out the best in a person.  Personally I think certain of Taylor's works have redeeming qualities, and he was friendly and courteous to random kibbitzers in a skittles room the one time I interacted with him.  Anyway, I am not trying to be a jerk or start a war.  Just want to see peace and chess here at Chesspub rather than gossip -- regardless whether folks deserve the judgments heaped on them.  Lips Sealed

2078 uscf
IP Logged

CaptainDunsel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #56 - 02/27/16 at 14:36:17
Post Tools
I talked to a publisher who confirmed the prevailing opinion in the industry that Taylor lacks a certain emotional maturity, which I've noticed is clear even from his chess writings.  Just read his chess analysis, and see for yourself.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 02/14/16 at 11:23:31
Post Tools
I'm curious about how big Taylor's book will be. I think on his website he said the manuscipt is 1500 pages ( i forget the term he used) but wont be as big once the printer has done his bit. I'm assuming that this is because diagrams for example that may be included in the book, are given their own page in the manuscript?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #54 - 02/14/16 at 05:56:04
Post Tools
Perhaps a line could be drawn under this at CP.
mods?
--------

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #53 - 02/13/16 at 21:36:08
Post Tools
Trefor wrote on 02/03/16 at 07:47:40:
Have just been reading Taylor's WordPress Blog, which explains, in his opinion, why this book is still not published.
I won't give the url here as I obviously have no idea of the truth. Let's just say that he names names and isn't sparing with accusations!

Let's just say he has a rather "imaginative" interpretation of events, as well as a very selective memory.

For instance, regarding the new comment: Before this I had written eight previous books for Everyman, such as Slay the Sicilian, without editing problems, indeed usually with almost no editing at all. I strive to turn in an absolutely clean copy. — Yes, he had written several books previously for Everyman, and I edited almost all of them, indeed without problems, but not with "almost no editing". They were all rigorously edited, not least because he never submitted a "clean copy". Apart from anything else, the manuscripts were always full of abbreviations which had to be individually converted. I already posted about this (and his other complaints about the editing) two years ago on the first page of this thread.

But as regards the offending variation...

Jonathan Tait wrote on 04/24/14 at 06:52:45:
analytical corrections/queries were mostly referred back to Tim for his consideration (some he accepted, some he didn't – fair enough). Occasionally, I might insert something trivial extra, for explanatory purposes (the sort of thing that would be prefaced by "Ed." in a magazine), and add text to that, but these would (almost always) have been thrown up by Fritz running in the background. I'm not sure what went wrong in the case he mentions (maybe I missed a move out when typing them into the document), but I can't look at it until Tim gives the exact reference.

Okay, now he has given the reference, and of course his analysis is correct. So it's rather odd. I'm not sure how this faulty addition got through unchecked. Firstly, as I said, analytical queries/corrections were mostly (as in virtually all) referred back to him – seven pages worth for this book (though, as was his right, he ignored two-thirds of them). Secondly, if this one wasn't referred (which it doesn't appear to have been), I'm not sure how it got through anyway, since Fritz would have been running on my machine too.

Well, it's very annoying of course, though I'm not sure it's really worth throwing your toys out of your pram over. The idea that a reputation could be ruined by one mistake in one bracketed variation is ridiculous. Mistakes are inevitable in chess books. Nevertheless, that doesn't excuse my adding an extraneous one, so apologies are clearly due here – for what little they're worth now.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #52 - 02/03/16 at 16:29:28
Post Tools
It may be just me, or it may be the strong influence of the title he chose for his blog, but "Tim Taylor's Chess & Fiction" poses a constant challenge for me separating out the fact from the fiction.

I don't think I am up to the task.

I have found his previous works to have been equally confusing.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #51 - 02/03/16 at 15:32:26
Post Tools
Trefor wrote on 02/03/16 at 07:47:40:
Have just been reading Taylor's WordPress Blog, which explains, in his opinion, why this book is still not published.
I won't give the url here as I obviously have no idea of the truth. Let's just say that he names names and isn't sparing with accusations!

Warning: long blog post.

Anyway. Hope things work out for mr Taylor and that he gets to publish his book some day.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Trefor
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #50 - 02/03/16 at 07:47:40
Post Tools

The sad thing is that despite all of the controversy I am keen to see the analysis, I find the Bishop's gambit very interesting despite the short thrift given in John Shaw's great book

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 08/19/14 at 12:31:42
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 08/19/14 at 07:08:38:
Dunno what's happened there.

It's been retitled as being about the King Bishop's Gambit.

Andrew Martin has done a recent video advocating the move order 1. e4 e5 2. f4 d5 3. exd5 and now not 3. .. e4 (Falkbeer) or 3. .. c6 (Nimzowitsch) but 3. .. exf4. Obviously this can transpose to several lines of the King Knight's Gambit but also to the line 1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4 d5 4. exd5 which is or was considered inferior to 1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4 d5 4. Bxd5 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7yvmzLtKPM

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #48 - 08/19/14 at 07:08:38
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 08/19/14 at 05:47:54:
Is Timothy Taylor´s King´s Gambit book pulled?
No, obviously he just had to find a new publisher ...
Now it´s New in Chess (~500pages, ~jan15 ?!).

Just googled for that and found Tim's Facebook page where he says that New in Chess decided not to publish it after all. Dunno what's happened there.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #47 - 08/19/14 at 05:47:54
Post Tools
Is Timothy Taylor´s King´s Gambit book pulled?
No, obviously he just had to find a new publisher ...
Now it´s New in Chess (~500pages, ~jan15 ?!).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Win-Kings-Bishop-Gambit-Fischers/dp/9056915622/ref=sr_1_...

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 05/04/14 at 16:28:54
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 05/02/14 at 23:47:05:
Is it that stupid? There's an immediate threat of Qxe4 which needs to be defended against. You block in the B f8 but if you intend g5 to hold the f4 pawn, that gives the Bishop a square on g7. You end up with a grip of the dark squares, similar to some of the more mainstream ideas against the Kings Gambit.

By some standards including engine assessments 2. f4 is just a dubious move, so replies to it should be looking for a Black advantage, but equality will do if it creates an original position.

Quite so. Black disrupts his natural developing scheme to deliver pseudo-threats.
In the lines engines evaluate the position as equal (4.Nc3 and 4.d3, mainly) Black follows with ...Qh4+ after a couple of moves, which hardly justifies 3...Qe7. And I can hardly see how Black can play ...g5 without seriously compromising his kingside after an eventual h2-h4.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo