Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Interesting White attempt in the Soltis! (Read 4095 times)
Swiss_Dragon

Re: Interesting White attempt in the Soltis!
Reply #2 - 06/19/14 at 06:19:40
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 06/18/14 at 19:46:14:
While I lack a board and engines right now, are the something wrong with 19 .. Rxd5?

Well, after 19..Rxd5 20.exd5 the knight on c4 is hanging and White is still threatening Rxh5 (the main threat in the position), so Black is forced to play 20...Ng3. Then most likely your suggestion is just a transposition to the 19..Ng3 -line, where Black has already commited himself to giving up the exchange, which is not yet necessary.
I don't say Black is lost, but I have my doubts if this is what Black should do.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Re: Interesting White attempt in the Soltis!
Reply #1 - 06/18/14 at 19:46:14
Post Tools
While I have never analysed this concrete position, I have looked at this position but with Rc5 placed at c8 and my conclusion there was the White was slightly better but I do not remember how.
Since the Rook is at c5 instead of c8 black has gained several more defence options like exchange sacs at d5 in case any White Knight jumps in there.

While I lack a board and engines right now, are the something wrong with 19 .. Rxd5?

IP Logged

Swiss_Dragon

Interesting White attempt in the Soltis!
06/18/14 at 07:22:25
Post Tools
Dear all

Let us start with the Soltis main line 13.Bg5 Rc5 14.Kb1 Re8 and 15.Bh6 Nc4
This is the theoretical move. Carlsen preferred a new move with 15...a5 against Karjakin in the recent rapid game at the World rapid chess championship. It looks interesting, but I am not sure, it is so good. This deserves another thread, though.

Now I am curious about the move 16.Qc1!? Has anyone of you studied this move? The following line shows that Black is better prepared for this: 16...Bh8 most logical, although I have looked at other options, too, none of which seemed to equalize 17.g4! hxg4 18.h5 Nxh5 19.Nd5! Black's position is dangerous, although there are several tries to defend, including 19...Ng3, 19...Nf6 and 19...Bf6. The engine says 0.00, but no repetitions that work are in sight. Better be prepared if you play this line. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo