Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Accelerated Dragon, Main Line:7.--Qa5 or 7.--0-0 ? (Read 3046 times)
PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Accelerated Dragon, Main Line:7.--Qa5 or 7.--0-0 ?
Reply #3 - 09/06/14 at 11:38:47
Post Tools
I think white is just a tad better after 7...Qa5, no matter if white puts a bishop, or a knight at b3.
7...a5 used to be fun, but after 8.0-0! Black may well have to exchange at d4 (either immediately, or after 8...d6) instead of 8...a4 9.Nxa4 Nxe4 11.c4! d6 12.Re1! when Black is just positionally worse, without any serious counterplay.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 06/24/14 at 22:06:37
Post Tools
As an Accelerated Dragon player, I would say that both lines are from theoretical and pratical point of view in crisis to get a fully balanced position (not for amateur level, but at a very high level!). I think White is +/= about everywhere in the Accelerated Dragon pure form after both 7..Qa5 and 7..0-0 but 7..Qa5 never attracted me. I agree with Bragesjo, Nb3 instead of Bb3 is also a very good move, but even against Bb3 for me it's a "Bc4+0-0 normal dragon" where Qa5 is suboptimal. It's not my taste and I am not an "expert" on it, so maybe you should watch top games with this line to see if you like the way Black is playing.

My love is/has been for the Uogele variation but now life is quite difficult for Black (I repeat, at very high level). I think below master level, any line of the Uogele is ok to get a very acceptable game.

After 7..0-0 8.Bb3! a5!? (Uogele variation) 9.0-0! we can divide it in 3 lines for Black.

Subvariation 1: 9..Nxd4 which is the brother of 9..d6 here, but a suboptimal one (Black didn't "force" White to play 10.f3 or 10.h3 to stop the "menace" 10..Ng4). But the truth is that White is not forced to stop 10..Ng4 and can play 10.Ndb5! (the whole point of 9..Nxd4 is to stop that move, and as the rule say, you should exchange pieces when you lack of space) which can transpose into 9..a4 or be independant after 10..b6 or 10..Ng4. So 9..Nxd4 is aimed to get the 9..d6 type of play even in an suboptimal form.

Subvariation 2: 9..a4 which is recommanded by Peter Lalic, and was considered in the past as the refutation of 9.0-0  (Donaldson + Silman s' 1998 book) before the weakness in the queenside proved to be more difficult for Black than the acquisition of a central pawn for a wing pawn. Here most players go for 10.Nxa4 Nxe4 11.Ndb5 (c4!? stopping the d5 idea - Khalifman) where there is different ideas for Black, playing solid with Ra6+d6 (probably the most solid of the whole 10..a4 subvariation), playing dynamic with d5 (requires a LOT of precision for both colors but in the end I think it favors White with best play), or playing with an exchange sacrifice Rxa4 and Bxb2 (I have never trusted that idea). There is also some independant lines with d6 without Ra6 but at some point Black will probably have to play Ra6 anyway.

Subvariation 3: 9..d6 which I have discussed a little bit in my comment about subvariation 1. If you are an expert of the subvariation 2 with d6+Ra6, you can play 9..d6 10.Ndb5! a4 with a transposition in the case where White "finds" the right move while you are willing to play the subvariation 3, but it's a bit strange from a psychological point of view because subvariation 2 and 3 are very different. I should add that 9..d6 is the recommandation in Opening for Black Explained from Dzinzdi and co, it's a criticized book for some reasons but still, I like it (but you have to ckeck everything by yourself, because there is omissions or may have misevaluations). 9..d6 10.Ndb5! b6 is their recommandation, following Malakhov, one of the biggest Accelerated Dragon ever, but the fact that he losts here is not a very good sign... 9..d6 10.f3 or 10.h3 is your "dream" because then you will play as in subvariation 1 but slightly improved (I think White's best line in subvariation 1 is to play a quick f4 without h3), where the basic idea is to play quickly ..Nxd4 followed by ..Bd7-Bc6 and ..Nd7-Nc5 etc. Black's game is very solid here but a bit passive.

In conclusion about the Uogele: at first it was a very sharp response for Black but since 9.0-0! the sharp lines seems to favor White, and the solid lines (subvariation 1, 2 with d6+Ra6, subvariation 3) are difficult to crack but passive for Black and easier to play for White. It's +/= against a well prepared White player. But if you play someone about your level or lower, it may still be possible to outplay your opponent, I would not recommand subvariation 1 because at amateur level I don't think White player will understand that 10.Ndb5! is the good move, so you should try directly subvariation 3 but you should learn the subvariation 2 too as a backup if you want to switch the lines depending of your feeling and your opponent. Basically, I think subvariation 2 is a center and queenside war while in the subvariation 3, White attack on the center and on the kingside and Black on e4 and on the queenside...

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #1 - 06/24/14 at 12:19:00
Post Tools
While I dont play accelerated Dragon I think most opponnets knows that after 7 .. Qa5 8 0-0 is forced but I am not shure if most opponnets know the other line.

I disagree that after 7 .. Qa5 8 0-0 0-0 I dont think that Bb3 is the best move. White has one extra option that I think Fischer played as white
Whites best move is possibley Nb3 . The game can transpose to Be2 line but where where white has gained a tempo (or if its two) .
However is unclear if white can actually make use of the tempo or not but I won a team match i swedish division 1 a couple of years ago I was white in this line but I t had little to do with the opening, since my opponnet panicked when my attack was much faster than normal and made a incorrect sacrifce to gain counterplay .

IP Logged

MaSu
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Accelerated Dragon, Main Line:7.--Qa5 or 7.--0-0 ?
06/22/14 at 16:58:11
Post Tools
Hi,

i want to know, which continuation do you prefer in the main line accelerated dragon after the following moves:

1.e4-c5 2.Nf3-g6 3.d4-cxd4 4.Nxd4-Nc6 5.Nc3-Bg7 6.Be3-Nf6 7.Bc4

Now, which continuation is better for black? After which move, white can make more mistakes?

e.g. 7.--Qa5 8.0-0 - d6
       7.--0-0 8.0-0?! - Nxe4!

or 7.--Qa5 8.Qd2?! - Nxe4!
    7.--0-0  8.Qd2?! - Nxe4!

After both moves (7.--Qa5 and 7.--0-0) 8.Bb3 is the best move.
In which variation it is easier to play for black after this move? Where do you have more winning chances against lower rated player? Which line is safer or more drawish?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo