Latest Updates:
Normal Topic owen defence (Read 8636 times)
Lou_Cyber

"I didn´t understand that.
It must be true."

Re: owen defence
Reply #7 - 07/16/14 at 16:38:04
Post Tools
The more adventurous souls might try the "mousetrap gambit" 1.e4 b6 2.d4 Bb7 3.Bg5!?.

Forum member buecker wrote an article about it at chesscafe: http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kaiss04.pdf

So far I´ve only tried it in blitz matches, but it is surely fun to play. The white plan is straightforward, and black may go astray early in the game. Objectively speaking I know there must be better variations for white.

If you try, you may lose. If you don´t try, you have lost.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #6 - 07/16/14 at 00:16:36
Post Tools
There are many viable options, so much of it comes down to your priorities and tastes.  For those who want something simple and low-risk (especially if you already play Tarrasch French) I would suggest a setup with Nbd2 denying the pin Bb4.  e.g., 1 e4 b6 2 d4 Bb7 3 Nd2 e6 4 Ngf3 c5 5 c3 Nf6 6 Bd3.  I think White is just comfortable there and there is nothing to learn or memorize.  It is a solid simple line, but not for those seeking to extract maximum advantage in the opening (e.g., correspondence play).

2078 uscf
IP Logged

LGXIII
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 07/10/14 at 16:18:17
Post Tools
Quote:
I want to ask opinions about the best plan against 1.e4 b6 as white.I played some times 1.b3 as white and I see this defence is a solid defence,even maybe passive,having similarities with french defence at some variations

Hello there,

I put the pawns on c4,d4,e4 the King's Bishop on d3. Since I am an e4 player, it often (2 times in 3 years) goes : 1.e4 b6 2.d4 Bb7 3.Bd3 e6 4.c4 followed by Nge2/Nbc3 with the idea of pushing to d5 followed by f4 and the Queen's Bishop goes to e3, the Queen's Knight to e4 and so on ...

Practically, the play has to be adapted to what Black is doing from move 4th ... There is a variety of setup to choose from depending on what black is doing.

I think in terms of chess reference, you will have to investigate on several books... Some coverage in Fundamental Chess Openings and Mastering the Chess Openings or Chess Opening Essentials and a database should be a good tool as well to investigate. There is the free online database from Chessbase for instance http://database.chessbase.com/js/apps/onlinedb/

Cheers,

IP Logged

dimis
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/04/14 at 12:56:43
Post Tools
I play 1.c4 the last years so maybe I will play 1.e4 b6 2.c4.
The opponent does not play 1.c4 b6 as I know,so this maybe an advantage. Also I will look at 1.e4 b6 suggested lines.
I meet 1.c4 b6 lines and I thing there where a transposition to Dutch or queen Indian defence
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 07/03/14 at 23:27:40:
1. e4 b6 2. c4 Bb7 3. Nc3

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 07/04/14 at 00:47:12
Post Tools
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 07/03/14 at 23:27:40:
1. e4 b6 2. c4 Bb7 3. Nc3

I have been known to meet 1. c4 with 1. .. b6. The main idea when I use it is to annoy players who would otherwise play 2. g3. The middle game idea  is to steer for Hedgehog positions, with the fall back that if they try e4 and Nc3 that you employ Hippo ideas. It may be most accurate to play e6 early. That way you are threatening to play Bb4 which might provoke a3. You then play .. g6 because your idea was always to play  Nge7.

I'm fairly sure that many top players figured this out years ago, but it isn't well documented in published theory and generally accepted openings.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #2 - 07/04/14 at 00:08:08
Post Tools
A small comment, Alterman wrote in one of hes Alterman Gambit guide : black gambits books that 1 .. b6 was good vs 1 c4 but not good vs 1 d4 or 1 e4. I tried this line vs 1 c4 in both a team match and in some tournamnet games with good results. The game than often becomes Nimzo or even Dutch like.

I would recommend 1 e4 b6 2 d4 Bd7 3 Bd3.

Here f5 is a mistake do to exf5! with a very strong attack

Therefore black play 3 .. Sf6 (e6 insted then Nc3 transposes since black has  nothing better than Sf6)

Greets book "Beating unusual defences 1 e4" recommends 4 Sc3 and after e6 he recommends Nge2.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/03/14 at 23:27:40
Post Tools
Quote:
I want to ask opinions about the best plan against 1.e4 b6 as white.I played some times 1.b3 as white and I see this defence is a solid defence,even maybe passive,having similarities with french defence at some variations

I transpose into genuinely english lines against the Owen

1. e4 b6 2. c4 Bb7 3. Nc3 ... This is the approach advocated by Marin and Kosten in the move order 1. c4 b6 2. Nc3 Bb7 3. Nc3. I think the line is good for white and probably not what an Owen player is best prepared for ...

IP Logged

dimis
Ex Member

owen defence
07/03/14 at 23:04:32
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo