Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Frequency of variations in practical play (Read 2990 times)
dom
YaBB Moderator

Re: Frequency of variations in practical play
Reply #4 - 09/10/14 at 06:38:41
Post Tools
Rough percentage :
- Winawer 20 Tarrasch 30 KIA 10 Gambits 10 Exchange 10 Advance 20
- high rated players will play mostly the "main" lines and low rated players either sharp (gambit) or weird lines

I play the Winawer and maybe 80 percent are with e5 and a further a3.

Yes low rated player like to play the exchange maybe 50 percent because either they like symetry and freedom of development or want to play like Morphy.

But every poll like this is not enough to decide your work : for example, I have played 2 knights variation in Budapest only, the KIA with GM in Toulouse, the closed Tarrasch with another toulouse GM and the advance vs the GM and great webmaster here, the french young boy now GM in the Nf4 tarrasch and ...etc.. The game I will not forget is vs Khamrakulov some years ago.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/09/14 at 14:21:48
Post Tools
Roughly speaking, below 2000 USCF (roughly) you will mostly see a variety of variations except 3.Nc3 (as most will generally be afraid to test a main line Winawer because they lack the knowledge.)  Over 2000 you will start to see more 3.Nc3 but again they will deviate fairly early for the most part.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #2 - 09/09/14 at 12:00:20
Post Tools
You'll face them enough that you have to know all of them. I have almost never seen nonsense in a tournament game, and in the French the nonsense is much easier to deal with than the theory. Maybe the Wing Gambit requires decent preparation. More of a concern might be planning responses that fit your style for the Tarrasch and the King's Indian Attack, where you have a wide choice of good contrasting options.  As far as the percentages are concerned, that depends where you're playing. I would do a ChessBase search on a local player at your strength and see what percentage of the time he faces these variations.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 09/09/14 at 09:53:19
Post Tools
Don't think I've ever met anyone who played the exchange with malice afterthought because I was stronger than them. Several players about who just play it because I'm in England and theory is work Wink Can't really avoid that though.

Nonsense not that often. Some kings indian attacks. 3 Nc3/Nd2/e5 all with quite a healthy frequency and interestingly from a start of 3 Nc3 I've maybe got to 7 Qg4 in the Winaver more often than not.
(4 a3 in the Winaver isn't nonsense though, come on Smiley)

IP Logged

gauss

I Love ChessPublishing!

Frequency of variations in practical play
09/08/14 at 20:23:36
Post Tools
I am thinking of taking up the french, and I was wondering how frequently I can expect to see each variation. I am about 2250 USCF. It would be a great help to me if people could post:

Roughly what percentage of the time they face each variation (3.Nc3, 3.Nd2, 3.e5, 3.exd5, and nonsense like 2.f4)?

Of those that play the Winawer, how frequently do you get 4.e5 c5 5.a3, and how frequently do you get nonsense like 4.a3?

When you are playing someone 100-400 points lower rated than you, how much more likely are you to get the exchange?

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo