Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Alekhine’s Def. Modern, 4.Nf3 dxe5 5.c4 Nf4!?. (Read 914 times)
Kam

I Love ChessPublishing!

Alekhine’s Def. Modern, 4.Nf3 dxe5 5.c4 Nf4!?.
10/28/14 at 12:28:35
Post Tools
Investigation of the Alekhine’s Def. Modern, Fifth Move Deviation 5.c4 Nf4!?.

The line 1.e4 Nf6  2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6  4.Nf3 dxe4  5.c4 Nf4!? is a very dynamic system. This strange knight manoeuvre, 5….Nf4 has been previously mentioned in my previous forum discussions on related lines of the Alekhine’s Defence Modern.
Continuations of the 4.c4 Nf4 variation can be divided into two key groups being a) Sixth move deviations not involving 6.Nxe5 Ng6 and b) Seventh move deviations arising from the thematic 6.Ne5 Ng6.      
A summary of possible continuations of this variation with comments are as follows: 1.e4 Nf6  2.e5 Nd5  3.d4 d6  4.Nf3 dxe5  5.c4!? Nf4!?

Group A
1) 6.Bxf4 exf4
     Immediate removal of the roaming knight and an outright attempt to refute the system. Black gets a slight advantage despite the mangled king side pawn formation.

2) 6.Nc3 exd4 A positional approach and black can get equality.

3) 6.g3 Ng6  7.h4 h5   White tries a bit of knight hunting, but black black keeps the pawn with an advantage.

Group B
4) 6.Nxe5 Ng6  7.Nxg6 hxg6 8.Bf4 e5!? Critical Line.
     The black king side pawns are not in perfect formation, but the half open h-file could be useful. An imbalanced game occurs.

5) 6.Nxe5 Ng6  7.Nf3 e5  Another critical Line and black is okay. (Some early analysis of the white knight retreat was investigated with my friend Kevin Bonham)

6) 6.Nxe5 Ng6  7.Qa4+ Bd7
     White tries a disruptive queen check, but black is okay. (Some early analysis had occurred with my friend Peter Wagg)

7) 6.Nxe5 Ng6  7.f4
     White attempts to grab as much space as possible. The resultant position is similar to a Four Pawns Attack pawn structure with a black fianchetto king bishop. However, white does not have an active knight at f3 and black is not burdened with the problematic knight at b6. Black should survive without too much drama.

Conclusions:
     I currently have found no faults in this system.  To the best of my knowledge this variation involving the knight move has never been previously discussed or reported in chess Literature. Citations of this peculiar line from literature sources or web sites, or some discussion comments would be warmly received.

Related References

1) 1 e4… April 2012 Chess Publisher Update by Ian Rendle and Gwain Jones on the system involving   Alekhine’s Def Modern 4.Nf3 dxe5  5.c4 e4.

2)  Sutovsky, E., CBM 148, 2012.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo