Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 8...e6 in the Yugoslav Accelerated Dragon (Read 4543 times)
abrahampayton
YaBB Newbies

Re: 8...e6 in the Yugoslav Accelerated Dragon
Reply #2 - 02/22/15 at 19:23:49
Post Tools
Interesting. I guess I'd first take issue with Black's 11th move ...Re8. Instead, getting up the battery with ...Be6 and ...Qd7 should come first. Thereby, keeping the rook still on the F-file in case black needs to switch plans and focus on the center (with some play along the f-file) if white starts moving his pieces to protect his king.

I guess I tend see this setup much like a poker hand... waiting the for white to show his hand and over-commit.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Re: 8...e6 in the Yugoslav Accelerated Dragon
Reply #1 - 02/22/15 at 07:16:34
Post Tools
I still remember very well below instructive game.

Naturally blacks game can be improved but I even made the remark in my notes that 13. Qf3 is a very strong computermove which doesn't give black an easy game. Tactics with Bxh3 disappear. White has pressure against the d-pawn and where is blacks counterplay?
« Last Edit: 02/22/15 at 09:25:18 by brabo »  
IP Logged

abrahampayton
YaBB Newbies

8...e6 in the Yugoslav Accelerated Dragon
02/22/15 at 02:11:05
Post Tools
So, I'm a newcomer to the accelerated dragon and in the process of picking up on the opening theory related to this fun idea. I've picked copies of both Greet's "Starting Out: the Accelerated Dragon" and of Lalic's "Play the Accelerated Dragon" and there something stuck out to me when reviewing the Yugoslav line - 8...e6.

Now, obviously, Lalic's book doesn't give this move a second thought. But Greet's book at least explored it (which, if for no other reason, was educational). Eventually, he claimed a slight advantage for white. Here, Greet cited a P.Smirnov-B..Macieja (Saint Vincent, 2005) game - where black eventually secured a draw after pursuing a plan of playing on the queenside. My thoughts on this game are below in the annotated game (see below):

However, another idea was released in the game Ruiz C,J-Delgado Ramirez,N/Praia da Pipa BRA 2014: the idea of Bxh3! and hitting white with everything he's got. See game below:

In any case, this seems like a great way to avoid playing the mainline Yugoslav Accelerated Dragon with 8...0-0 and breath some fire on the board of your own!

Side note: this is my first post on this forum as a member.  Smiley

hqdefault.jpg ( 40 KB | 297 Downloads )
hqdefault.jpg

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo