Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Putting a Delay Time Control on DGT XL FIDE clock (Read 5794 times)
whatteaux

Re: Putting a Delay Time Control on DGT XL FIDE clock
Reply #6 - 03/20/15 at 12:22:56
Post Tools
I don't think that option gives you the opportunity to enter the number of moves for the time control. It is up to the players to check how many moves have been played when the first time control is complete. This is common, as clock-presses-as-move-counters is sometimes unreliable and fiddly.

So the second time control period only kicks in when one player's time has reached 0.00 for the first time control, NOT when 40 moves (or whatever) have been played, then both get the next period's time added.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/20/15 at 06:17:27
Post Tools
Thanks for the detail, it actually is 2 hr (120 min) in 40 moves with 5 sec delay, followed by SD 30 + 5 sec delay as well. I tried the control, but I tested it by pressing the clock 40 times on both sides and 30 min are not being added. Is the 00 assumed for 40 moves that the time is added on?

This is what happened:
[left hand side]
>
DELAY flashes
++ (2 hr)
>
+++++ (0 tens of minute)
>
+++++ (0 ones of minute)
>>
"0" flashes, .05 is showing
>>

[idem, right hand side]

>>
0:00 showing on both sides, first "0" on LHS flashing (confused on which this is)
>>>>>
"DELAY" flashing
>
0:05 shows, first "0" flashing, "2" on left hand side, "DELAY" at top
>>>
".00" showing, first "0" flashing
>>
0:05 shows, first "0" flashing, "2" on left hand side, "DELAY" at top
>>>
"TIME" flashing at top
>>
+++ (3 tens of minute)
>>
".00" showng, first "0" flashing
>>
+++ (3 tens of minute)
>>
".00" showng, first "0" flashing
>>
"DELAY" flashing, 5 showing on left (??)
>>>>>>>
[clock indicates finished, beeps and shows:]

DELAY 2:00 . . 1 DELAY 2:00

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #4 - 03/19/15 at 10:32:13
Post Tools
Try this (assuming I've understood you're requirement of 2:00 + 5s Bronstein followed by 30m flat?)

Option 00
>
+ ("DELAY" should flash)
>
++ (hours --> 2)
>  (tens of minutes, leave as 0)
>  (minutes, leave as 0)
>  (tens of seconds, leave as 0)
>  (seconds, leave as 0)
>
(repeat, for 2nd player)
>  (minutes for delay, leave as 0)
>  (tens of seconds for delay, leave as 0)
+++++ (seconds for delay, now 5)
>
(repeat, for 2nd player)
>  (now second period; a little '2' should be on the left and "FISCHER" flashing at the top)
-  (now "TIME" should be flashing)
>  (select 'time'. now hours should be flashing)
>  (0 hours)
+++ (tens of minutes: 3)
>  (single minutes, leave at 0)
>  (tens of seconds, leave at 0)
>  (seconds, leave at 0)
Now third period; a little '3' should be on the left and "END" flashing at the top)
>
You're done!

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/18/15 at 19:12:12
Post Tools
It is definitely the Bronstein, I tried that one, but I still cannot configure it properly. I tried the manual, but something is going wrong that when I test it it is not going into the second time control. I could not find articles about people setting the delay on this type of clock, I am not sure if that is because players who use delay use the DGT XL FIDE clock.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/18/15 at 11:34:43
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 03/18/15 at 05:53:48:
I have literally never set a delay control on my personal clock.

The manual can be downloaded from

http://www.digitalgametechnology.com/index.php/docman-all-categories/product-man...

The settings to investigate are those for Bronstein mode and manual setting. The DGT doesn't delay as such, rather it adds the extra five seconds in the same way as increment, but your time never increases. So you start at 120 minutes and 5 seconds. If you can play the opening moves in less than five seconds, your clock will count down as you think, but then jump back to its starting value.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/18/15 at 09:38:59
Post Tools
At worst you can presumably do it as 120 + 5/move then manually add the extra time on at move 40.

Would imagine it must be programmable though Smiley

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Putting a Delay Time Control on DGT XL FIDE clock
03/18/15 at 05:53:48
Post Tools
I am not used to much to setting chess clocks for tournaments play as usually the tournament provides materials, but in a couple months I go travel to a tournament that you need to bring clocks. I had for a while my personal DGT XL FIDE clock (the older beige one), the one used in official FIDE tournaments. However, I only use it mostly for blitz with friends because as I said, tournaments provide the materials usually.

If you want to know what model and how my clock looks, it is exactly this one:

I read the manual, over and over, and I am still confused on how to set for example, 40 moves 120 min. with a 5 second delay, followed by 30 moves rest of game. This is much different than the standard 90 min 40 moves + 30 min with 30" increment, and despite reading the manual and fiddling with my clock for literally hours for the past month I cannot do this with the FIDE clock. I have literally never set a delay control on my personal clock. Can anyone guide me detailedly on how you do this? Thanks!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo