Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Solid and Safe Against the Wild Indians (Read 17128 times)
TN
YaBB Moderator

Re: Solid and Safe Against the Wild Indians
Reply #5 - 03/21/15 at 04:38:36
Post Tools
I noticed Pert only gives the move order with Nf3 and then g3; it would have been interesting to see coverage of the 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.g3 move order with 3...Bg7 4.Bg2 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4 as mentioned above and the trendy 3...c6 4.Bg2 d5 5.Qa4/e3, but given the video format one can understand the decision to select a very narrow repertoire.

Imo the recommendation against ...c5 systems in 3.Nf3 Bg7 4.g3 c5 5.Bg2 0-0 6.0-0 cxd4 7.Nxd4 d5 is quite drawish, but then again that does fit the label very well!

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 03/20/15 at 20:59:34
Post Tools
Ah this line with 10. Nh4, I remember that in an online blitz game, Suat Atalik played this against me. I think that I did 10...a5 and he doubled my pawns. It looks to me that White wants to play a Catalan structure where Bxc6 destroys the queenside pawn structure, but the difference is that here in Grünfeld Black has the bishop on g7 pointing at d4, with aims of ...c5 or ...e5, and White generally cannot do d5 because it might be too weak. But I could look at this and see what can do for White.

I agree also, that playing Fianchetto against that ...c6/...d5 setup is very difficult to claim an edge. I know from experience because I played this with Black as well. But Grünfeld players generally want a dynamic position like the ...Nxd5 positions instead of a semi-closed slow symmetrical game. Even if you get barely a minimum of edge of Black equalises (latter is much more likely), opponent has to play the position, which I suppose that is a bit unpersonlike for the Grünfeld player playing this Slaw-like structure. Unless of course you play both the Grünfeld and Slaw like I do Smiley

This is one of the few lines where my White and Black repertoires clash, and Black seems to have better results here. But this line is very fresh, White has been trying looks like every legal move after 9...Re8. So who knows Smiley

I wonder what Pert recommends, if it is 10. Nh4. I personally think that 10. Re1 a5 is reaching the end of a try for an advantage for White, unless someone finds something weird and unexpected. I see too that Sandro Mareco beat David Navara with 10. Nh4, and Mareco is known for his deep opening preparation. The race for ideas continues Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #3 - 03/20/15 at 20:15:17
Post Tools
I'd encourage you to check this line out - in my database White scores something like 75-80%, in the Chessgames.com DB White scores +12 =3, and I haven't actually found anything wrong with it. Quite the opposite actually, I really like the positions I get. Though I'll confess that I haven't checked any of the Black books I own either!

A few games:

The point of 10.Nh4!? is, of course, to meet 10...e5 with 11.d5, the most popular way now being 11...Na5 12.Rb1!?, and to meet other moves such as 10...a5, with 11.f4!, trying to stop ...e5 forever. We have similar styles as White and Black I think, so you might like this one.

Another idea is, if your move order permits it, to go into the lines without Nf3 and with e4, e.g. 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4, intending Ne2, etc. More games:

Both lines contain a good amount of surprise value compared to the main lines, are challenging, and will reward preparation.

Best of luck sir!  Grin

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/20/15 at 19:44:52
Post Tools
Also notice that he plays things like the Winawer Poisoned Pawn and Slaw with 7...Qc7 and 11...g5 but plays solidly with White. I thought that that was interesting because that seems similar to my style. But 9...Re8 in the knight takes Grünfeld is key. I have a <10% score as White in this line, both in tournaments and even practise blitz.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #1 - 03/20/15 at 19:02:59
Post Tools
I too am interesting to hear about this DVD.

I enjoy and have had success with the weird 10.Nh4!?, but I don't like the positions or like my chances of getting anything interesting against the Slav-Grunfeld hybrids.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Solid and Safe Against the Wild Indians
03/20/15 at 18:54:02
Post Tools
The new DVD by Nick Pert is out. It is about the Fianchetto against Grünfeld and KID. I did not know where to put this post because Grünfeld and KID are in different sections, but to me I have serious problems against the Grünfeld with the Fianchetto so I chose Grünfeld Smiley.

If anyone has it, how is the coverage and lines, especially in the Grünfeld lines? I have tended to end up =+ as White in this line by move 16-20 because Black gets so much counterplay.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo