Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Caro-Kann by Kornev for ChessStars (Read 25355 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Caro-Kann by Kornev for ChessStars
Reply #23 - 01/24/18 at 23:11:32
Post Tools
Thanks for this overview!  I've been curious about this book myself.

IP Logged

semper_fidelis
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 01/24/18 at 20:06:22
Post Tools
Virosax wrote on 11/27/17 at 18:42:06:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if anybody had purchased the electronic version of Kornev's Caro Kann book (or had the paper copy) and how they are finding the content?

Thank you.

I've just received my copy. Just couple of first impressions:
- Classical variation - author does his best to be original, but it seems that abundance of existing material (Schandorff, Houska, Lakdawala...) leaves little space for creativity. So he more or less follows their path (curiosly, all the authors mentioned give the same treatment for classical Smiley). So minor tweaks here and there, but generally the same (quite satisfactory, frankly speaking) recommendations.
- Advance - at first sight seems similar to Houska's content. What I like is narrower choice of lines to examine (comparing to Houska), making repertoire easier to grasp (apparently his analysis are supported by some strong engine, so I believe all critical lines are covered). I need to spend more time on that chapters to tell more about concrete recommendations.
- Panov - Quite interesting stuff indeed, regarding not the best reputation of the Panov fianchetto. I'm not an expert in this line, but his recommendations look solid. Perhaps some more advanced member can pinpoint currently topical choices for White, so as I can check whether they are covered. Slight similarities to Houska too (some minor lines overlap).
- Fantasy - I like his combative treatment with ...e6. His coverage is detailed enough to takes the initiative against not-so-well booked opponent. I also appreciate the decision to abandon most widely recommend ...exd4/e5/Bg4 in favor of more dynamic (if messy) line
- Non e4 - It seems he repeats his recommendations from KID/Pirc books against offshots (b3/b4/f4 etc.) Perfectly OK with this, though I'd rather expect some less memory-demanding options (all in all it is 'Practical Repertoire'Smiley)
General impression is that he makes heavy use of corr base + engine combo, that allows to believe there is no major holes in his recommendations. Also author is quite modest, using '!?' rather than 'TN' symbols Wink

IP Logged

Virosax
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 11/27/17 at 18:42:06
Post Tools
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if anybody had purchased the electronic version of Kornev's Caro Kann book (or had the paper copy) and how they are finding the content?

Thank you.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #20 - 11/15/17 at 11:27:11
Post Tools

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #19 - 10/03/17 at 15:51:20
Post Tools
Some interesting choices there.

Especially 3...c5 against the advance, and the ...g6 lines against the Panov

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #18 - 10/03/17 at 14:17:25
Post Tools

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #17 - 06/26/15 at 15:51:23
Post Tools
It's postponed!  Sad

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #16 - 06/05/15 at 21:19:46
Post Tools
I just started looking a chess again after a long lay off. I am currently looking at Kornev's 1. d4 repertoire books and I really do like his writing style. So I would certainly be up to buying a Black repertoire book by him. He does not seem the type to take short cuts though, so I can't see him copping out with dubious or unproven lines.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Ilya_Colima
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 05/16/15 at 00:22:53
Post Tools
The name "Chebanenko" is also connected with the "Modern Caro-Kann" (1.e4 c6 2.d4 g6), which is also in Kolev's repertoire. Kamsky is also famous for playing the Chebanenko-Slav with early g6-lines, and the Caro-Kann with early g6-lines. These lines are quite solid, complex, and without much theory (compared to the mainlines of the Caro-Kann/Chebanenko).

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 05/08/15 at 21:42:53
Post Tools
How exactly can play ...a6 in the main line of the Caro-Kann? 3. Sc3/Sd2 a6 seems dubious at the least to me.

I think that the point would be to recommend the Caro-Kann regular lines with the Chebanenko because they are both light square defences and solid.

Bologan did DVD on the Caro-Kann but his line was for ...0-0-0 in the Capablanca. I think Black is fine theoretically here, but I prefer to play the sharper ...0-0 line, which is also much more popular.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #13 - 05/08/15 at 12:13:32
Post Tools
I've heard that Chebanenko advised some of his pupils to play ...a6 in the Caro-Kann too, vs 3.Nd2/Nc3 - so that could be a connection when recommending both defences in a repertoire...

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #12 - 05/08/15 at 09:27:43
Post Tools
I look forward to this one. Although not my main defences, I often play Caro-Kann and Chebanenko slav in blitz. I tend to like the Chess stars books quite much and Kornev is a good author.

Bologan has made CB DVDs on the Caro and Chebanenko. Not bad ones. I expect the book to be more thorough and possibly suggest other lines though.

It would also be interesting to see Reti/anti-slav lines in the book.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 05/07/15 at 23:28:12
Post Tools
The question is how many pages, distribution between 1. d4 and 1. e4, and for the Caro, is it Capablanca Variation, and if so, is it ...0-0 or ...0-0-0 (hoping for the first). Advance I expect 3...Lf5.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #10 - 05/07/15 at 13:14:19
Post Tools
Maybe one work, but two volumes. Who knows...?

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 05/07/15 at 09:43:52
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 05/06/15 at 21:15:05:
So it is a double repertoire book like the Karpow book from 2001? They just released a Caro book though, on 3. e5 but for White.

That's what we're led to believe. I am a bit pessimistic about how good the coverage will be, as the Caro-Kann and Chebanenko Slav have become quite theoretical over recent years. Taking into account Chess Stars books rarely break the 400pg barrier leads me to believe that this may be a superficial repertoire. I would rather they did a book for each system and give both defences the coverage they deserve. I hope to be proved wrong though, I will buy the book regardless.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo