Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ragozin by Ramirez (Read 23089 times)
MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Ragozin by Ramirez
Reply #19 - 01/24/17 at 13:09:35
Post Tools
It seems that there is overlap with Pert's book on Ragozin. For example both recommend Aronian's Nb-d7, and either a later g5, Ne4 or Be7 in the pxp line, and in the rubinstein nimzo the line of Topolov v Ponarionov http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1715492.  For the Rubinstein line thought Sokolov was over optimistic of white's chances in both the ba6 and older bb7 approaches. Against 7a3 doesn't mention black's best defense at all. http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1130328

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #18 - 06/05/15 at 22:26:46
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/05/15 at 16:59:12:
I don't see solid/drawish as a problem with the Ragozin. Isn't that to some extent what you play it for, whatever level you're on? It would be a big problem only if you were limited to playing only one defence to 1.d4 all the time.

I have some hopes for the "Nimzo/Rago Combo" (how's that for a catchy repertoire book title!?) as a calm break from my usual, sharper defences.

Actually, my early reaction to the DVD (before I had to put it aside to focus on pressing non-chess matters) has been that some lines look not as solid as I had hoped, but rather weakening. When you've played ...h6 and ...g5 early on, and maybe given up the dark-sqaured bishop as well, you're taking on the burden of showing you can compensate for those weaknesses, probably with constant activity and small threats to keep White on his toes. I wouldn't be surprised if these lines are quite a bit easier for White to play in practice, at least below master level. May be a matter of taste though.

I agree you that you have to be prepared to suffer a little against well-prepared opponents, but my first feeling seeing the Ragozin defence is that the majority of our foes are going to play Qa4+ lines (not the most difficult to handle as Black). It's too tempting to give that check and put a rare Knight on c6 ...  Wink

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Reply #17 - 06/05/15 at 22:22:24
Post Tools
Lanark wrote on 06/05/15 at 16:15:40:
CanadianClub wrote on 05/08/15 at 22:55:31:
Solid positions, yes, but a bit drawish in most cases. I have the feeling that are more suitable for GM audience aiming for an easy draw (or confortable equality) against equal oposition than for us, mere mortals (myself facing players in the u2100 fide range).

A bit disapointed about that. Not because of the quality of the work by Ramírez but too much theory to learn (in comparison with my BogoIndian.

Interesting point. Do you think the Ragozin is “more drawish“ in general than the Bogoindian?

I think in general the Ragozin is sharper than BogoIndian. In the BogoIndian, White can play calmly and get an edge in most lines; in the Ragozin must play more accurately (a lot more) to do that. And in general, people know better how to play against Bogo. As Black it's easy to play the Bogo too.

More drawish... at my level (below u2100 fide)? Bogo, I think. They are concrete lines in the Ragozin where Alejandro points you to play a level endgame but there are lots of umbalanced lines also.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #16 - 06/05/15 at 16:59:12
Post Tools
I don't see solid/drawish as a problem with the Ragozin. Isn't that to some extent what you play it for, whatever level you're on? It would be a big problem only if you were limited to playing only one defence to 1.d4 all the time.

I have some hopes for the "Nimzo/Rago Combo" (how's that for a catchy repertoire book title!?) as a calm break from my usual, sharper defences.

Actually, my early reaction to the DVD (before I had to put it aside to focus on pressing non-chess matters) has been that some lines look not as solid as I had hoped, but rather weakening. When you've played ...h6 and ...g5 early on, and maybe given up the dark-sqaured bishop as well, you're taking on the burden of showing you can compensate for those weaknesses, probably with constant activity and small threats to keep White on his toes. I wouldn't be surprised if these lines are quite a bit easier for White to play in practice, at least below master level. May be a matter of taste though.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Lanark

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 06/05/15 at 16:15:40
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 05/08/15 at 22:55:31:
Solid positions, yes, but a bit drawish in most cases. I have the feeling that are more suitable for GM audience aiming for an easy draw (or confortable equality) against equal oposition than for us, mere mortals (myself facing players in the u2100 fide range).

A bit disapointed about that. Not because of the quality of the work by Ramírez but too much theory to learn (in comparison with my BogoIndian.

Interesting point. Do you think the Ragozin is “more drawish“ in general than the Bogoindian?

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Reply #14 - 05/08/15 at 22:55:31
Post Tools
Well, I like how Alejandro shows the variations and his style in general. I liked also his previous Reti DVD.

A bit disapointed about that. Not because of the quality of the work by Ramírez but too much theory to learn (in comparison with my BogoIndian), even I though (before seeing the video chapters) it would be even more (this is a positive point  Cool).

But it's a question of give it a try and see if the positions I get are unbalanced enough to beat lower oposition (this is one of my handicaps playing chess, too much draws).

Salut,

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #13 - 04/20/15 at 18:58:50
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 04/20/15 at 18:28:46:
And it looks like he offers Black the line

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 Bb4 5. cxd5 exd5 6. Bg5 h6 7. Bh4 c5 8. e3 c4

instead of the old Westphalia or Manhattan Defense, is that correct?

Not quite. His main line goes

and a couple of fairly recent games with Aronian as Black (against Carlsen and Lysyj) are analyzed from this position.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #12 - 04/20/15 at 18:28:46
Post Tools
And it looks like he offers Black the line

instead of the old Westphalia or Manhattan Defense, is that correct?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 04/16/15 at 19:29:16
Post Tools
So Ramirez deals wih the transposition 5.e3. That game Topalov-Ponomariov is problematic though - White has 8.Qe2, 7.cxd5 and 7.a3. None of them are easy for Black (for the two last ones I refer to Sokolov on the Strategic Rubinstein).

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 04/16/15 at 08:31:22
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 04/16/15 at 01:44:52:
I'm not able to find a list of recommended lines, can someone provide a link or post what this DVD covers?

Use this link and click zoom on the image: http://s3.postimg.org/3upjbe02b/2015_04_16_091036.jpg

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #9 - 04/16/15 at 01:44:52
Post Tools
I'm not able to find a list of recommended lines, can someone provide a link or post what this DVD covers?

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 04/16/15 at 00:07:49
Post Tools
I quite like this DVD. Personally I find nothing wrong with the Queen's Indian and I think that Black is completely fine there, but the Ragozin is a bit more active I guess. The lines that he gives are not very crazy, like busting the pawn structure like some other Ragozin lines that look like the mess you get in a few tactical lines in the 4. Qc2 d5 Nimzo, but same time are active lines.

I think that if you use the DVD with Barskij's Ragozin book and TWIC (because this entire opening complex is theoretically fluctuative), you would be good to go.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #7 - 04/15/15 at 20:10:33
Post Tools
The content looks good so far, and the issue I mentioned is certainly not Ramirez' fault!

I downloaded the CB reader and entered the activation code - so now it works there, but only there and not in other Chessbase programs. Sad Has anybody tried a video with this new system in the most recent Chessbase/Fritz/Houdini etc. GUIs?

I realize they are probably doing this as a copy protection measure, but I still find it annoying to now have to use a separate program with reduced capabilities only for these videos (which I don't exactly watch all the time).

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #6 - 04/15/15 at 13:08:10
Post Tools
I think one must use the new Chessbase reader program in the new discs and activate them to view the video parts.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/15/15 at 05:30:24
Post Tools
The activation code should be for the dvd in itself. They have had it for the videos for some time now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo