Latest Updates:
Normal Topic c3/c4 and/or Be2/Bd3 (Read 2619 times)
RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: c3/c4 and/or Be2/Bd3
Reply #1 - 05/21/15 at 10:26:14
Post Tools
tewald wrote on 05/16/15 at 14:30:03:
I'm wondering if someone could explain the factor(s) determining when we should play c3 or c4 in the London, and when to play Be2 or Bd3.

If you play c4 in a London system, it's no longer really the London system, being instead something you could reach from a set up with d4 and c4. You would play it if you thought it gave an advantage and it's a popular idea against Kings Indian setups by Black.

As to whether to play Be2, Bd3 (or Bc4) it may just be a style question. Be2 would be the most solid, Bd3 suggests that trying to play e3 to e4 is going to be a plan, whilst Bc4 puts the Bishop on an aggressive diagonal if Black should play .. e5. It's not available if Black has thrown .. d5 himself into the mix.

My personal preference for defending against a London is to either use a reverse Reti, in other words the structure Nf6,g6,Bg7,d6, Nbd7,c5,b6,Bb7 or a Hedgehog with Nf6, e6, Be7, d6, Nbd7, c5, b6, Bb7. Against c4 systems, you have the added option of playing an early c5, then c5xd4 and .. d5 with  Gruenfeld like positions. As to where the White Bishop goes, I have found my opponents using all three possibilities.

IP Logged

tewald
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

c3/c4 and/or Be2/Bd3
05/16/15 at 14:30:03
Post Tools
Not a very clear subject line; sorry. I'm wondering if someone could explain the factor(s) determining when we should play c3 or c4 in the London, and when to play Be2 or Bd3. All of those moves show up in recommendations, but it's not clear to me what determines when to play a particular member of each pair. Thanks.
Tom Ewald
Detroit Area

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo