Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) About that elusive IM-title in corr (Read 5018 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: About that elusive IM-title in corr
Reply #12 - 08/09/15 at 16:51:52
Post Tools
Claus Jensen wrote on 08/05/15 at 12:58:29:
Back to original subject:
That's great news, Thomas!
Congratulations on the title which is not only well deserved, but also hard fought in all possible aspects!

Thanks Claus, that's certainly true! Cheesy

And this case also seems to have inspired a couple of new suggestions, which may make it easier for other players to become "unrepresented" if something similar should happen again. Smiley

IP Logged

Claus Jensen

I Love Chess!

Reply #11 - 08/05/15 at 12:58:29
Post Tools
Back to original subject:
That's great news, Thomas!
Congratulations on the title which is not only well deserved, but also hard fought in all possible aspects!

Claus Jensen
http://www.clausjensen.com
150+ annotated chess videos
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #10 - 06/20/15 at 00:11:59
Post Tools
Oh, I see. I just assumed you couldn't mean Latin based (Romance) language, since English isn't one either. It's a Germanic language with a lot of borrowing from Norman French and Latin itself (as well as the old Norse language earlier on).

Technically Welsh is on the Celtic branch of the great Indo-European language tree (together with Irish, Scots Gaelic, Cornish, Breton and Manx), while English, Norse and others are on the Germanic branch, and French, Latin and others are on the Romance (or "Latin") branch.

Fun fact: "Welsh" originates from a word the various Germanic peoples used for all kinds of "foreigners" (and not surprisingly, often with negative connotations). So etymologically the same word is used for sometimes wholly unrelated people who have all been thought of as strangers or foreigners: People from Cornwall, Walloons (French-speaking part of Belgium), Vlachs (Romanians), speakers of the German traveller language/sociolect Rotwelsch, Welsche in German (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsche) for all sorts of Romance-speaking neighbours, and kauderwelsch (Norwegian kaudervelsk) meaning "gibberish", possibly originally referring to Rhaeto-Romance as spoken in Chur (Kauer in Tirolian German).

Quite understandable that the Cymry prefer a different name for themselves, with probably the exact opposite meaning - "compatriot"!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 06/19/15 at 22:29:51
Post Tools
Not a Latin derived language I meant - its some very early Celtic thing. Although I rather suspect there's some rather more accurate technical term for all the sort of vaguely similar European languages Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #8 - 06/19/15 at 21:53:35
Post Tools
Congratulations TalJechin on becoming both an IM and a Welshman! Good to hear it got sorted out in the end.

MartinC wrote on 06/19/15 at 21:00:59:
Well it isn't based on Latin and has a different alphabet Smiley From wiki:
a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, ng, h, i, l, ll, m, n, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, th, u, w, y

That still looks like it's based on the Latin alphabet though (with several special letter combinations added). How can you say it isn't?

Btw. if chess is "wood sense", I picture late-night arguments in Welsh pubs with assorted woodworkers, carpenters and carvers all arguing they are the ones with actual wood sense.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/19/15 at 21:00:59
Post Tools
Well it isn't based on Latin and has a different alphabet Smiley From wiki:
a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, ng, h, i, l, ll, m, n, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, th, u, w, y

ll and dd are the two I vaguely know how to pronounce and they're nothing like English. Lovely sounding language mind. Very glad we didn't quite manage to squash it.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #6 - 06/19/15 at 20:05:36
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 06/18/15 at 20:54:54:
Welsh seems a cool language indeed, though the spellings often make me wonder if it's pronounceable at all... :/

I used to go there a lot for holidays when I was young, and the names of towns were never pronounced (by the locals) how I expected them to be.
For instance, we went to visit a town called Dolgellau, but this seemed to be pronounced something like 'Dolgethlee', if memory serves.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #5 - 06/18/15 at 20:54:54
Post Tools
Thanks all!

Welsh seems a cool language indeed, though the spellings often make me wonder if it's pronounceable at all... :/

But the expression 'wood sense' is a nice descriptive name, really! Smiley

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #4 - 06/18/15 at 15:09:59
Post Tools
Congratulations!

Croeso i Cymru!

As an aside, I love the Welsh word for chess, gwyddbwyll, which means "wood sense".

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/13/15 at 21:12:50
Post Tools
Nice to see that all went well for you, Thomas!  Smiley
@Jupp53 https://congress2015.welshccf.org.uk/signin.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2ficcf%2fproposals.a...
Unfortunately, I won't be there, but I hope the Bulgarian CCF will have a delegate...

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #2 - 06/13/15 at 14:27:06
Post Tools
Congrats!

What's in Cardiff in August?

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 06/13/15 at 13:18:39
Post Tools
Hello.

Congratulations to you for getting your title and cheers for the Welsh CC federation. Smiley

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

About that elusive IM-title in corr
06/13/15 at 11:39:46
Post Tools
A while back I got a lot of support from members here both in the forum thread and via internal messages.

So, I just thought I'd let you all know that it has been resolved recently! Thanks to the Welsh federation and especially its secretary Austin Lockwood who did a lot of cutting through red tape on my behalf!

https://www.iccf.com/player?id=451416

Maybe I'll see some of you guys in Cardiff in August? Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo