Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Best líne against 6. Bg5? (Read 1877 times)
abrahampayton
YaBB Newbies

Re: Best líne against 6. Bg5?
Reply #5 - 02/12/17 at 22:36:48
Post Tools
If you're first starting out, then I think Chess.com's videos make a lot of sense so you know what getting into the Najdorf really involves. Once you've accepted how deep the rabbit hole goes, I would undoubtedly buy volumes 1 & 2 (at least) of 1.e4 vs The Sicilian by GM Parimarjan Negi in order to catch up on 6.Bg5-related theory.

In terms of what line's to look at... well, Negi has done a masterful work in taking apart the Najdorf (and the Classical Sicilian for that matter) with 6. Bg5. But, that doesn't mean there aren't holes in his analysis - already, you can find things popping up in GM play and on Chesspublishing.com too!

Speaking for myself, I've found a potential vulnerability in the Polugaevsky variation of Negi's book - volume 1 - where Black neutralizes White's initiative with 22...Qd5 (which seemed pretty natural here. Here's a taster:

...Where I think a draw is the most likely outcome. I doubled checked w/ my computer (stockfish 8) and it puts it at 0.11.

To be honest, it strikes me that White won't know their theory here unless their in the IM/GM category. I really love the Polugaevsky variation and since the theory isn't super-well known (especially in Class A chess), I think Black has a massive OTB/practical advantage.

Best of luck on your journey.
~AP

Twitter  
IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/19/15 at 09:34:17
Post Tools
Ummm, I would imagine there probably is quite a bit of question about that nowadays Smiley Seemingly lots of different stuff getting played. Nearly all ultimately forced draws of course.

Some of it looks downright suicidal to me, but computers.....

If you want a place to study it all, there's that Everyman book all about the 6 Bg5 Najdorf (Chess Developments.). Maybe the Negi white repetoire book.

IP Logged

ako

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #3 - 08/19/15 at 07:57:19
Post Tools
TN wrote on 08/18/15 at 22:44:17:
I would say the best lines are 6...Nbd7 and the Poisoned Pawn. Both are in quite good theoretical standing, but lots of home analysis (including of correspondence and engine games) is required for success at a high level.

Obviously The Poisoned pawn is theoretically best. There is no question about that. Other lines give white reasonable changesto fight for a theoretical advantage.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 08/18/15 at 22:44:17
Post Tools
I would say the best lines are 6...Nbd7 and the Poisoned Pawn. Both are in quite good theoretical standing, but lots of home analysis (including of correspondence and engine games) is required for success at a high level.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

yolocounty
YaBB Newbies

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Reply #1 - 08/18/15 at 05:53:02
Post Tools
This is one of those questions.  Chesspublishing is a good start, but unless you're choosing a sideline you're going to need a big database and some effort at study.

And then some constant investment in updating and expanding that study.

Lines with an early ...Nbd7 are my current vote, if only because I have a friend who plays them and apart from a few tactical accidents when he wasn't careful he has mostly proved equality.

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Best líne against 6. Bg5?
08/18/15 at 01:47:22
Post Tools
What do you think si the Best líne black has against 6. Bg5? And where could I study it? Thank you very much

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo