Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) From Caro-Kann to Scandinavian!? (Read 19890 times)
TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Re: From Caro-Kann to Scandinavian!?
Reply #19 - 06/02/16 at 18:17:00
Post Tools
katar wrote on 11/04/15 at 21:33:52:
If it is the case that the Advance Caro Kann variations turn you off, then Scandinavian makes sense as a move order to reach CK-like pawn structure (since 1.e4 d5 2.e5 is a terrible move).

The Advance Caro is the main reason I'm about to abandon it.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #18 - 02/26/16 at 21:06:46
Post Tools
Qd8 may transpose to Qd6 lines

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #17 - 02/26/16 at 01:43:17
Post Tools
GM Kasparov writes a book about the Qd6 Scandinavian and inserts chapters on the Qa5 and Qd8 variations. Without even looking closer you have to be a little suspicious about the organization or choice of the same. I'm these other variations have no legitimate place in the book. I'm guessing these other chapters were fillers to meet a deadline.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 02/07/16 at 08:21:05
Post Tools
I bought the book on the scandinavian using the Gambit app  yesterday. I'll return with a review but a quick look at the Intro gave me the impression the book is written for beginners because he repeats advice like a player that lacks space benefits from simplifications. I hope he has a bit more than that to offer when it comes to analysis.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #15 - 11/06/15 at 08:58:05
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 11/06/15 at 03:18:45:
Hmmm, that reminds me of his Benko book. It's got lost of material by a strong exponent of the opening, but it's hard in some of the chapters to make out which lines (of the ones he's played) he would still recommend.

Still, it's an inspirational collection of games, and I'm happy to have it.

I agree with you on both counts.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #14 - 11/06/15 at 03:18:45
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 11/06/15 at 02:39:43:
The issue with Kasparov's ...d6 book was the lack of organisation. No real effort to present what is good and what is not. Just...themed stuff. Chucking stuff out. No attempt to help the reader get to grips.  Certainly no effort to try to present a repertoire, even a loose one. One can hope that this current text may be better. Let us know! Smiley

Hmmm, that reminds me of his Benko book. It's got lost of material by a strong exponent of the opening, but it's hard in some of the chapters to make out which lines (of the ones he's played) he would still recommend.

Still, it's an inspirational collection of games, and I'm happy to have it.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #13 - 11/06/15 at 03:14:01
Post Tools
katar wrote on 11/06/15 at 01:54:53:
Stigma wrote on 11/05/15 at 03:28:16:
From the excerpt it looks like the coverage is spread over lots of lines, sort of a "complete" book rather than just a repertoire for Black. I wonder how he pulls that off in just 176 pages, while even providing "understanding", presumably with lots of explanatory text.

About 115 pages relate to 1.e4 d5 2.ed Qd 3.Nc3 Qd6 and White's deviations. 
Particularly for an opening whose supposed virtues are simplicity and lack of theory, that should be sufficient...  S.Kasparov covers Qa5 in 27 pages (plus 29 for White's earlier deviations) and Qd8 in 4 (plus the same 29 for White's earlier deviations). [...]

That's all true. It might be a very good book covering everything you need to play it; we'll have to see. I may pick it up myself at some point.

The mere 27 pages for 3...Qa5 (not to mention 11 pages for 2...Nf6) looked particularly strange, since that older move still has a lot more theory than 3...Qd6. But maybe what's happening here is Kasparov is providing both a repertoire for White with 3.Nc3 and one for Black with 2...Qxd5 intending 3.Nc3 Qd6 in one book. That would make some sense of the page distribution. Let's hope it's not just "I had some random material on 3...Qa5 and 2...Nf6, and decided to throw it in".

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #12 - 11/06/15 at 02:39:43
Post Tools
Short can be good, long can be good. Sadler's books were excellent, and not long. But longer with more detailed content is going to be more helpful to me than shorter with less detailed content. I need detail, others may not. Horses for courses.
I like both QC hardcore books and the fun DW books by Everyman. (Why did those stop btw?). But, badly planned, short and half-arsed, I can do without.

The issue with Kasparov's ...d6 book was the lack of organisation. No real effort to present what is good and what is not. Just...themed stuff. Chucking stuff out. No attempt to help the reader get to grips.  Certainly no effort to try to present a repertoire, even a loose one. One can hope that this current text may be better. Let us know! Smiley

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #11 - 11/06/15 at 01:54:53
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 11/05/15 at 03:28:16:
From the excerpt it looks like the coverage is spread over lots of lines, sort of a "complete" book rather than just a repertoire for Black. I wonder how he pulls that off in just 176 pages, while even providing "understanding", presumably with lots of explanatory text.

About 115 pages relate to 1.e4 d5 2.ed Qd 3.Nc3 Qd6 and White's deviations. 
Particularly for an opening whose supposed virtues are simplicity and lack of theory, that should be sufficient...  S.Kasparov covers Qa5 in 27 pages (plus 29 for White's earlier deviations) and Qd8 in 4 (plus the same 29 for White's earlier deviations).
Anyone can access Stockfish and a 5 million game database in a matter of minutes.  Where a grandmaster author can truly add value is in organization and priority.  In my opinion, a short chess opening book is more useful than a long one -- and i expect harder to write as well.  Diminishing returns and pareto principle mean the shorter book always gives more bang per buck (or per hour of study time).  But it is a matter of taste and of course there is market for "telephone book" chess opening books.  (A chess openings forum is naturally skewed to that market.)

2078 uscf
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 11/05/15 at 23:49:05
Post Tools
Speaking of Gambit books and length, I'm bracing for the cries along the lines of, "how can Sam Collins dare to write a repertoire book for White with only 160 pages?".

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #9 - 11/05/15 at 23:33:02
Post Tools
I haven't seen the book, but one thing in S. Kasparov's (and the book's) favor is that it's produced by Gambit. Their opening, and other, books are always well-edited and usually very well-written.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 11/05/15 at 13:28:11
Post Tools
TD wrote on 11/05/15 at 11:59:05:
Bibs wrote on 11/05/15 at 11:49:02:
Kasparov's last book on 1...d6 Philidor stuff was dismal. Don't go near it - a half-arsed mess.
Frankly, this short cover-all book looks of similar caliber.

I really liked his Benko book.

Yeah, me too.
Wonder what happened in the interim. Well, bills to pay I guess.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #7 - 11/05/15 at 11:59:05
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 11/05/15 at 11:49:02:
Kasparov's last book on 1...d6 Philidor stuff was dismal. Don't go near it - a half-arsed mess.

I really liked his Benko book.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 11/05/15 at 11:49:02
Post Tools

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #5 - 11/05/15 at 03:28:16
Post Tools
Incidentally, Understanding the Scandinavian by Sergey Kasparov is just out (at least as an e-book and app book) and must be very relevant for Caro folks considering the Scandinavian:

http://www.gambitbooks.com/books/Understanding_the_Scandinavian.html

Anyway, 3.Nc3 Qd6 4.d4 Nf6 5.Nf3 c6 seems to get the most coverage, and that very solid main line is clearly similar to the Caro-Kann.

There has also been quite a bit of coverage of 3.Nc3 Qd6 here on ChessPublishing, and it was also the focus of Lakdawala's Move by Move book on the Scandinavian, which may have been one of his better ones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo