Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 10 reasons Windows 7 is better than Windows 10 (Read 11934 times)
Monocle
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: 10 reasons Windows 7 is better than Windows 10
Reply #30 - 09/02/17 at 10:15:51
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 11/21/15 at 22:43:30:
1. The first thing I noticed that the Win 10 windows are far uglier, they have lost the beautiful rounded edges and transparent Aero look.

The 'flat' look has been popular with designers for a while, and as a web/software developer, I'm so used to it by now that the Aero look is starting to appear old fashioned to me.  Personally, I preferred the days when we put gradients and drop shadows on everything and rounded all the corners, but nowadays everything is all about tiles and horizontal bands and big solid rectangular blocks of flat colour.  I'm at the mercy of trendy graphic designers, so I had to get used to it.

As for the lack of Chessbase on Mac, having built software for Windows and Mac/iOS in the past, I will say that I much prefer developing for Windows because of the far superior tools available, and that my company in the past has decided against developing Mac versions of our flagship software precisely because of the lack of third party components.  For Windows and web development, there are tons of third party libraries like DevExpress, Telerik, etc, but when we investigated the options for Mac development, we found we'd have to do all that work ourselves, which for a small company with limited resources, turned out not to be practical.  In the end, we opted to build an online version of our software, which was the only way we could realistically get our product to Mac users.  Having said all that, I don't know what Chessbase was built with, so none of that may apply to them.

I do have other problems with Mac development - in particular, I find XCode/Objective-C far less pleasant to use than Visual Studio/C# and Apple also have an annoying habit of repeatedly "updating" their UI design so that previous software breaks (for instance, one app needed major reworking 6 months after being released, because an iOS update rendered all the buttons invisible). 

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #29 - 09/24/16 at 13:56:41
Post Tools
Oh dear, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update arrived a couple of days ago. Sad
Apart from a couple of small changes (to say, the Start Menu and Explorer) that I don't like very much, I can see no improvements.
Worse still, it seems to be a complete refresh - my previous file associations have disappeared, as have my browser history and form fills, and all the Windows Apps (that mostly didn't work, actually) that I deleted have returned!
These aren't the only annoyances, when I plugged my phone in to a USB port the computer crashed, and then took ages to start again (first restarting itself, and then turning off again).

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 08/18/16 at 00:32:35
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/12/15 at 12:25:52:
MartinC wrote on 12/08/15 at 15:20:36:
Worse than scary that last thing really, its faintly incredible (and genuinely very unhelpful) behaviour. That and the telemetry.

Yes, I've installed the GWX program to remove the Win 10 icon and stop it messing with my computer, I've also turned off automatic updates and hidden all the telemetry updates and any other updates concerning Windows 10.
Whether that will be enough is another question! Roll Eyes

Could you explain what GWX is and how to remove the telemetry stuff?

I am staying with Win7 until it is dead then switching to Linux.

Also don't forget other issues with Win7 is the touchscreen and the fact it was made for the tablet + phone first with the Desktop being an after thought as that market is smaller and continues to shrink. I want an issue built with the EXACT opposite thought process. I also don't give a shit about integration as I don't want my phone and tablet to integrate with my desktop (plus I don't own a Microsoft phone nor tablet).

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #27 - 06/11/16 at 15:12:36
Post Tools
dunne wrote on 06/04/16 at 16:50:17:
You chaps should try OpenBSD! Wink You would then have no chessbase, it's true; but you could run scid, which is a fine database program.

But you have to learn programming to use it really. It's nothing for mouse pushers.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

Dewald
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 06/09/16 at 21:36:03
Post Tools
Windows 10 has deleted my files several times after an update.  It's the worse

IP Logged

dunne
YaBB Newbies

Reply #25 - 06/04/16 at 16:50:17
Post Tools
You chaps should try OpenBSD! Wink You would then have no chessbase, it's true; but you could run scid, which is a fine database program.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #24 - 06/04/16 at 13:03:05
Post Tools
More than 6 months on from my original post and I thought I would give an update, point-by-point:

1. The first thing I noticed that the Win 10 windows are far uglier, they have lost the beautiful rounded edges and transparent Aero look.

The Start menu and Action centre have the Aero look (there's a 'transparent' setting for this, so you can turn it on and off), and now the windows have an optional 'accent colour' picked from the background (which you can automatically change from time-to-time) so this is a big improvement.

2. The Win 10 task-bar is less functional, you can't pin programs to the LHS, and the alphabetical 'all program' list is too long (on Win 7 I have everything grouped together in thematic folders).

This is now better, if not perfect, I've managed to customise it more to my taste. I still prefer the Win 7 one!

3. The hideous dull tiles ..

No change.

4. Win 7 is much more stable...

Win 10 is getting better, but there are still problems, for instance a friend has recently lost use of her start menu, and I've spent hours trying all sorts of fixes I found on the Internet to get it back, but without any success.
I haven't been able to use many of the new Apps at all, for instance if I try to open a picture with Photos it immediately crashes.

5. With Win 10 you have no control over Windows Updates any more...
6. There is no information about what the Win 10 Updates do any more.

MS has bowed to pressure and now you can get Info about the updates and also uninstall them (for a while!).

7. Microsoft can now access your private details with Win 10...
8. In Windows 10 Microsoft will use your bandwidth...

You now have a lot of control over what info you send, and can easily turn off '8.' (although you need to be computer-savvy enough to find all the settings! Roll Eyes) I also saw an article that claimed that a lot of the computer press were scare-mongering and that MS only took a lot of this info to make programs like Cortana work properly. Also that they were no worse than Facebook, or Google, say. Angry

9. In Windows 10 Microsoft have added the possibility to put adverts directly onto your OS.

So far I've only see Ads for things from their Store on the Store tile, which I can turn off. I suspect they might be putting Adverts on the Lock Screen, but I've turned this off, too.

10. Windows Media Centre is removed (not such a big deal, but I use it to watch TV).

With a bit of searching I found a much better solution using the open-source VLC and the program codes to use my Internet box (which has hundreds of TV channels).

So, all-in-all Windows 10 is much better than last year, and all my programs work much as they did with Windows 7.

IP Logged

Ognian_Mikov
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - 05/03/16 at 21:23:12
Post Tools
I was thinking of updating my 7 to a 10 these days but I've heard some negative reviews about the newest Windows edition + this thread made me stick with 7 or 8 but stay away from 10 at any costs Smiley

e2-e4!
IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #22 - 03/13/16 at 23:23:57
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 03/13/16 at 10:03:06:
Seems it had been infected by the Trojan called "Windows 10 Update"

LOL, you still have a month to return to your old Windows! Smiley

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #21 - 03/13/16 at 10:03:06
Post Tools
Seemed as though my Laptop was taken over by some ransomwhere.
"Your files are where you left them..."
"We'll be ready soon..."
"Do not turn off your PC..."
"We've made some tweaks to Windows..."
"Let's start..."
It said. over the course of about an hour.
When it came back, the start menu had gone and the task bar was empty.
I invoked my IT skills and tried turning it on and off again. Phew, it came back.
Seems it had been infected by the Trojan called "Windows 10 Update"

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #20 - 02/24/16 at 14:10:14
Post Tools
I just installed Win 10 for a friend who was using Win 8 (Ugh!) and was more impressed than back in August last when I installed Win 10 on my own computer (for a very short while). A lot of things looked and worked better, and there is now some info about the updates. There is also a regedit change that brings Aero back, so the only major problems for me are the loss of privacy and the end of Windows Media Center.
If I could find a program that stops Win 10 from sending info to MS then I would bite the bullet and change! Shocked

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #19 - 02/12/16 at 00:14:13
Post Tools
Apparently, Quote:
Windows 10 contacts Microsoft to report data thousands of times per day

see the scary article at http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spyi...  Shocked

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #18 - 01/22/16 at 13:36:21
Post Tools
Another worrying article about Microsoft's strong-arm upgrade tactics:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3024278/windows/you-will-upgrade-to-windows-10-in...

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #17 - 01/08/16 at 18:07:41
Post Tools
Windows 7 is the best o/s Microsoft produced in a long long time, and then they bizarrely change everything for the worse  Angry

Dare I say it....reminds me of Chessbase  Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #16 - 01/08/16 at 11:27:59
Post Tools
More worrying news about Microsoft spying with Windows X: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/06/windows-10-spying-secrets-rev...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo