Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Chetverik's Alekhine (Read 1552 times)
Toshak
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Chetverik's Alekhine
Reply #6 - 03/19/16 at 23:16:44
Post Tools
lg wrote on 02/20/16 at 11:40:36:
For instance, in the old Alburt in the line 4.Nf3 g6 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 Bg7 7. Ng5 e6 8.Qf3 0-0 9. Qh3 h6 10.Nf3 dxe5 11.dxe5 c5 (which is the computer line played nowadays) the authors mention the gambit line strating with 12.Bxh6 !? c4. This was something mentione dhere recently in a different post.

Only one 13. Nbd2 and one 13. Ng5 in my database, but I think 13. Be3 is even stronger.  I couldn't find any good move for Black after this move.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #5 - 02/20/16 at 11:40:36
Post Tools
I got hold of a copy of this book and it "appears" to be a nice contribution to this defence.

It is written in Russian and thus no chance at all in understanding the comments, and there are plenty of them, besides understanding that comments in bold are "dangerous" lines or blunders.

I have seen the games (in algebraic form), mostly in the modern and exchange and the book appears to be up to date with "apparently" good chapters on these variations.

The book, besides being encyclopedic, contains hints and good suggestions for not well analysed lines.

For instance, in the old Alburt in the line 4.Nf3 g6 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 Bg7 7. Ng5 e6 8.Qf3 0-0 9. Qh3 h6 10.Nf3 dxe5 11.dxe5 c5 (which is the computer line played nowadays) the authors mention the gambit line strating with 12.Bxh6 !? c4. This was something mentione dhere recently in a different post.
The analysis only goes on for a few more moves but this shows that the authors appear to up to date (which i was expecting based on what I know of Chetverik).
Other lines are much more deeply analised although I have also seen some "omissions" or mail lines sent to some sidelines.
The exchange appears to be deeply tretated with a whole chapter on the Voroznev.

The first chapter looks interesting with several games of almost 100 years ago (in fact one is more than 100 yers ago).

So, I hope an English translation will appear soon !!!

As a side comment I also like the rapid and blitz book by the Sveshnikov's with soem chapters better than the others with good side comments
Essentially two good recent contributions on the Alekhine Defence.

Finally, in another thread I have seen someone saying that books with comments will be welcome.

I guess these two appear to fall on this category (for someone knowing russian with respect to one book)  but
I must confess that in terms comments, three books that still stand our are the old ones, 2nd Burgess, by Nigel Davis and Cox.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #4 - 01/31/16 at 16:40:46
Post Tools
Just asked because I have seen interesting games by M. Chetverik in the Voronezh and in 4...g6 in the modern. Concerning the Voronezh I have seen in playing conservative slow (but not necessarily bad - until further proof) 9th moves such as 9...e6 and 9...Nbd7; although recently he appears to be converted to 9...Bf5 (perhaps based on the chesspublushing posts, who knows?  Smiley;

He has also coauthored with A. Raestky two interesting NIC articles, in fact one on the Voronezh.
There is also a chapter on 5...g5 ?! against the 4PA in a recent book on opening lines.

Since he has been playing the Alekhine it would be interesting to know what he has to say.
Since we are flooded with western books (some quite good but some that are from from it) I was interested to see another eastern view.

Must confess I liked the recent book by the Sveshnikovs on the defence.

On the other hand, the only other book I have, authored by Kalinichenko is simply awful.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/31/16 at 04:12:57
Post Tools
Like a Russian Ray Keene.
And no, that's certainly not a compliment.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/31/16 at 00:53:25
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/30/16 at 23:18:44:
The cover reads:
M.V. Chetverik
N. M. Kalinichenko

Kalinichenko has written lots of books, though I rarely see other books referencing him. Possibly what's happened here is Chetverik has updated a previous work of Kalinichenko's.

I have no idea whether an English edition is planned.

Isnt Kalinchenko's work usually of poor quality? (or at least the stuff that gets translated into english?)

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 01/30/16 at 23:18:44
Post Tools
The cover reads:
M.V. Chetverik
N. M. Kalinichenko

Kalinichenko has written lots of books, though I rarely see other books referencing him. Possibly what's happened here is Chetverik has updated a previous work of Kalinichenko's.

I have no idea whether an English edition is planned.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Chetverik's Alekhine
01/30/16 at 21:45:49
Post Tools
Noticed in Amazon the following book (unfortunately in Russian) published by Russian Chess House

Alekhine's Defence. Encyclopaedia by Chetverik and another author (2015)

http://www.amazon.com/Alekhines-Defence-Encyclopaedia-chetverik/dp/B01632W1FU/re...

Noticed that some RCH books appear in New in Chess translated. Any idea about this one?

tks, lg

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo