Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Chess history Video Fischer v Tal fake Caro! (Read 5234 times)
AntesInferno
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Chess history Video Fischer v Tal fake Caro!
Reply #8 - 09/13/18 at 09:11:45
Post Tools
Never_Again wrote on 08/18/18 at 06:33:43:
Thus we can discard the first Benko segment as a red herring (from another day vs. an unidentified opponent) and conclude definitively that all other games shown are from round 13, played on September 28 in Bled.

More evidence:
Round 27 was played in Belgrade where cyrillic names were used as shown in other video footage on youtube

Round 13 was played in Bled and filmed by Slovenian TV. The name plates show latin letters.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #7 - 08/18/18 at 07:37:15
Post Tools
Cool! Smiley

IP Logged

Never_Again
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 08/18/18 at 06:33:43
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 06/16/16 at 16:29:57:
I suppose that this was one of the two Sicilian losses vs Tal in this tournament, but which one? The one in 52 moves or the one in 33 moves? Can anyone identify the game from the other games played the same day? 

There were two Fischer-Tal games that were Sicilians in the 1959 Candidates tmt, one in round 13 and the other in round 27. By examining the other three boards it is indeed possible to identify which.

The relevant part of the footage starts at 0:26 with Benko alone at the board having White. He plays 1.d4. That's what he played vs. Petrosian in round 27. The opponent's name is not visible, though.

At 0:40 a Gligoric-Keres game shown. Both their games from these two rounds were a Rubinstein Nimzo-Indian.

The Fischer-Tal segment (the Caro-Kann-that-wasn't) starts at 0:55

At 1:11 the camera is back to Benko's table, and now we can see the opponent too: Petrosian. It is not the same game as the one shown before, with Benko alone at the board, though! Here Benko played 1.Nf3 and 2.g3 instead of 1.d4. This corresponds to his game vs. Petrosian in the 13th round, an Accepted Reti  where the Iron Tigran audaciously hung onto his extra pawn on c4 and even managed to win.

The last piece of the puzzle is revealed at 1:24, at the Olafsson-Smyslov board. We can see that it's a 1.c4 e5 English with a black bishop developed to e6 after ...d6 (a Smyslov special). Both games between these two players in rounds 13 and 27 were an English Opening; however, in the 27th round Black chose a different system, with ...Bb4.

Thus we can discard the first Benko segment as a red herring (from another day vs. an unidentified opponent) and conclude definitively that all other games shown are from round 13, played on September 28 in Bled.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/16/16 at 16:29:57
Post Tools
I suppose that this was one of the two Sicilian losses vs Tal in this tournament, but which one? The one in 52 moves or the one in 33 moves? Can anyone identify the game from the other games played the same day?

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #4 - 06/16/16 at 13:19:20
Post Tools
Wow, what a cast!

Always wondered what Smyslov's demeanor was at the board, since he was not harsh, but very powerful. His mode of "ignoring the opponent before the game" a little Olympian, using his height.

Fischer's face to me looked slightly rueful, but  tolerant--"what I have to put up with with this wise guy--but (sigh) what can you do?" His face surprisingly gentle throughout. He's in his (only) home.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/16/16 at 11:43:44
Post Tools
I've never seen this footage before. There must be more of it somewhere! I want to see all Fischer footage!

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #2 - 06/16/16 at 06:10:23
Post Tools
That was great!

I think Fischer's face was more like a big "Phew!"

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 06/13/16 at 13:31:01
Post Tools
Wonderful footage, thank you for the link. How moving to see these great players!

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Chess history Video Fischer v Tal fake Caro!
06/13/16 at 09:02:17
Post Tools
http://www.euscreen.eu/item.html?id=EUS_2308C7C86D13ADC6C547A262C385799F

Just came across this video of 1959 Candidates
Interesting moment about 59 seconds in Fischer 1 e4. Tal c6 keeps hold of pawn ...then pushes on to c5 with a smile. Of course in that tournament the other Soviets ,even Keres, tried Caro Kann vs Fischer as he was playing that harmless line in the 2 Knights variation. It demonstrates Tal's humour  Smiley  and  Fischers grimace in response  Angry.
Really clear video of the other 6 candidates' games too.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo