Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pirc 4 Bg5: Best Lines/Move Orders (Read 92295 times)
Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Pirc 4 Bg5: Best Lines/Move Orders
Reply #67 - 02/26/17 at 16:00:35
Post Tools
Hi.

Confused_by_Theory wrote on 02/21/17 at 06:46:07:
So anyway I Thought I'd post a noticeably beefed-up version of the pgn in reply #59. Then I realised it was over 11000 characters and there is no attach function. Novel solution was to post here:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1487658030/0#0
We'll see what happens. Mods have full power to do as they please of course.

Attach problem solved by Tony K Smiley. Here is the file.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #66 - 02/21/17 at 06:46:07
Post Tools
Hey.

Since last time posting I looked a bit deeper and a bit broader and generally got a bit more pessimistic about black's chances in:
1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Bg5 Bg7 5.Qd2 c6 6.Bh6 Bxh6 7.Qxh6 e5

It's not that its a bad way of playing. Black is sort of even forcing white to go for serious continuations if he wants advantage and if he doesn't black seems very much OK. With analysis-glasses on however I can probably say that black should have some problems if white plays the pawn-grabbing continuation shown earlier and follows up decently (black can equalise even after the pawn-grab against natural but imprecise play).

Imo 7...e5 it is still a serious alternative to the main move 7...Qa5. To be fair though, at least part of this sentiment comes from thinking that the 7...Qa5 variation is also not exactly a party for black.

So anyway I Thought I'd post a noticeably beefed-up version of the pgn in reply #59. Then I realised it was over 11000 characters and there is no attach function. Novel solution was to post here:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1487658030/0#0
We'll see what happens. Mods have full power to do as they please of course.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #65 - 02/18/17 at 08:43:14
Post Tools
Quote:
18.Qh3 (Idea 18...Qxb2 19.Kd2!) looks quite serious and seemingly gives fairly hard problems to solve.

Nice one!

Re 18 ...0-0-0 19 Qb6: I haven't had time to do more than fiddle around a bit with an engine, but this suggests to me that this line might have neither more nor less value than my original one (19 0-0 Nd4*). Black's plan in the ending is probably simply to advance (...f5 quickly, and at some point ...a4), making it very hard (hopefully!) for White to realise his extra pawn advantage.

* 19 ...Rd6!? might be possible too?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #64 - 02/18/17 at 07:25:26
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 02/14/17 at 01:18:55:
Can't find the attach function. The established workaround is to activate the quote function and then copy the pgn part of the quote into a program that can construct pgn files.

Works!  Cool

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 02/18/17 at 07:13:02
Post Tools
Hey.

In terms of other stuff not in the pgn I think that in the 11...a5 12.a3 variation I forgot to give 18.Qh3 instead of 18.Bxf7+. Also I forgot to give a variation after 8.Nf3 Qe7 9.h3.

To add to this. 18.Qh3 (Idea 18...Qxb2 19.Kd2!) looks quite serious and seemingly gives fairly hard problems to solve. As long as there are no appealing alternatives (don't see) 11...a5 looks dubious.

In other news though 8.Nf3 Qe7 9.h3 is rubbish because of  9...exd4 and 10...Nxe4. I simply forgot to add a ? plus a few simple moves and make it not the main subvariation at that point Tongue.

Anyway. I am sort of trying to think of ways to be clever as black. Have one possibly quite interesting idea already btw but I don't think it will work. Somehow black wants to avoid ending up with a prospectless pawn down position against accurate white play, or possibly allowing this and then making white's conversion a hard task.

Will probably first check 18...0-0-0 a bit (see #59 pgn main-line). Initially I'm thinking that is not the point you wanna start trying to find resources for black though maybe he reach some hard to break down setup.

JEH wrote on 02/13/17 at 20:54:38:
Unfortunately it is too large to download  Sad

There is a PGN button where you can attach it as a .pgn file, could you do that?
Can't find the attach function. The established workaround is to activate the quote function and then copy the pgn part of the quote into a program that can construct pgn files.

Annoying thing this. I checked the spanish repertoire thread a little while ago and there this function is plainly visible. Past experience also says it is possible to attach pgns in that thread.
Some kind of sub-forum setting I guess Huh.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 02/14/17 at 01:18:55
Post Tools
Hi.

Michael Ayton wrote on 02/13/17 at 19:16:34:
Wow, that's some analysis! It'll take me some time to go through it, but I look forward to doing so! But tell me, at the end, why did you reject 18 ...0-0-0? I wonder if it was because of 19 Qb6. After that I thought 19 ...Qc7 20 Qc7 Kc7 (with a lead in development!) might give interesting compensation, but as yet at least I've no idea if it is enough ...

Maybe it is a better move. I guess I didn't like having the king with advanced pawn cover, though it should not be a problem really.

Probably white should still go 19.0-0, although he can also play 19.Qb6 with the aim of exchanging queens (not that it seems killer).

In terms of other stuff not in the pgn I think that in the 11...a5 12.a3 variation I forgot to give 18.Qh3 instead of 18.Bxf7+. Also I forgot to give a variation after 8.Nf3 Qe7 9.h3.

JEH wrote on 02/13/17 at 20:54:38:

There is a PGN button where you can attach it as a .pgn file, could you do that?

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #61 - 02/13/17 at 20:54:38
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 02/13/17 at 16:54:41:
Skillfully, without even aiming for it, I have over 500 of the allowed 11000 characters per post left after posting the pgn

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #60 - 02/13/17 at 19:16:34
Post Tools
Wow, that's some analysis! It'll take me some time to go through it, but I look forward to doing so! But tell me, at the end, why did you reject 18 ...0-0-0? I wonder if it was because of 19 Qb6. After that I thought 19 ...Qc7 20 Qc7 Kc7 (with a lead in development!) might give interesting compensation, but as yet at least I've no idea if it is enough ...

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 02/13/17 at 16:54:41
Post Tools
Hello.

Skillfully, without even aiming for it, I have over 500 of the allowed 11000 characters per post left after posting the pgn Cool

So among other things I can ask a general question (one asked not for the first time) of whatever happened to the attach file function?

Also there is space to write that I did not really find a solution to white's pawn grabbing attempts. If he makes them at the ideal time and then executes well he should reach somewhat better positions. Black can of course play most of them without dieing immediately though.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #58 - 02/13/17 at 16:07:17
Post Tools
[quote author=7073797F1E0 link=1466412326/57#57 date=1486982630] [quote]I'm glad of this, since you'd given a somewhat contrary impression ... [quote]
Pardon me for not being a native English speaker, because I totally fail to understand how

"It seems .... trying small"
gives the impression of certainty. Perhaps this?

"I wouldn't mind to play this in a corr. chess game at all; I would call my opening choice a success."
I stick to that one, given how difficult it has become to prove anything more than dead equality in corr. chess.
And now I'm out again - my tolerance for this kind of silliness apparently has become a lot lower compared to five years ago or so.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #57 - 02/13/17 at 10:43:50
Post Tools
Quote:
What I'm not certain of is if White can turn this lead in development in a concrete advantage or that it will dissipate.

I'm glad of this, since you'd given a somewhat contrary impression ...

Quote:
16...Nxb3 17.cxb3 Qg5 might be more precise.

I was thinking this might be inferior as I was worried about White bringing a Rook to the c-file, but I can't be categorical.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #56 - 02/13/17 at 10:02:14
Post Tools

Quote:
It's terribly slow. Indeed 13.Ng5 is pointless (then rather 12.Ng5) but White will maintain a lead in development after 13.Rfe1.

Michael Ayton wrote on 02/13/17 at 01:14:02:
Absent concrete analysis, you must forgive me if I'm very much less certain of all this than you seem to be. How do you see the game going after [13 Rfe1] Nh5?

I don't need analysis to count pieces on the board. After 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Be3 (4.Bg5) Bg7 5.Qd2 c6 6.Bh6 Bxh6 7.Qxh6 e5 8.dxe5 dxe5 9.Nf3 Qe7 10.Bc4 b5 11.Bb3 Nbd7 12.O-O Nc5 13.Rfe1 White needs two more moves to finish development (if we also count Qh6) and Black four (Ra8, Bc8, Ke8, Rh8).
Since I was four I'm very certain about my counting abilities. What I'm not certain of is if White can turn this lead in development in a concrete advantage or that it will dissipate.

Quote:
I've analysed it a bit and have come to the conclusion that White should not hurry to bring back Her Majesty Home.

How did your analysis of 15 0-0 a5 16 a3 Qg5 run?
[/quote]
Probably not deep enough. In a corr. game I would spend hours and hours.
"12.Ng5 Rf8 13.Nxh7 Nxh7 14.Qxh7 Rf8 15.O-O a5 16.a3 Qg5"
16...Nxb3 17.cxb3 Qg5 might be more precise. Or not. That's the bit I'm not sure of

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #55 - 02/13/17 at 01:14:02
Post Tools
Quote:
It's terribly slow. Indeed 13.Ng5 is pointless (then rather 12.Ng5) but White will maintain a lead in development after 13.Rfe1.

Absent concrete analysis, you must forgive me if I'm very much less certain of all this than you seem to be. How do you see the game going after [13 Rfe1] Nh5?

Quote:
I've analysed it a bit and have come to the conclusion that White should not hurry to bring back Her Majesty Home.

How did your analysis of 15 0-0 a5 16 a3 Qg5 run?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #54 - 02/13/17 at 00:16:20
Post Tools
Actually the plan you outline for Black is an attempt to solve the issues Black is dealing with ....  Cheesy
It's terribly slow. Indeed 13.Ng5 is pointless (then rather 12.Ng5) but White will maintain a lead in development after 13.Rfe1. The remedy for the WQ being offside is never more than one move - just Qe3 or Qh3. Until then Rh8 is even more offside.
Btw in your gambit line (11...Nbd7) something similar applies. Iso 15.Qh6 I'd prefer 15.O-O a5 16.a3 Be6 17.Bxe6 Nxe6 18.Rfd1 Nd4 19.Qh3. As this is part of my repertoire for White (via 4.Be3) I've analysed it a bit and have come to the conclusion that White should not hurry to bring back Her Majesty Home.
It seems a nice choice for White to me - clinging to the pawn or trying to convert the lead in development in a small but lasting positional advantage. I wouldn't mind to play this in a corr. chess game at all; I would call my opening choice a success.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #53 - 02/12/17 at 17:22:31
Post Tools
Quote:
Black still has some issues to deal with after simply 12.O-O.

Not sure. I was thinking Black could just go 12 ...Nc5 with the idea of ...a5 and then ...Nh5 and ...f6, possibly following with ...Ng7 and ...0-0, depending on what White does. Of course on 13 Ng5 (which I imagine is pointless?) we must take the Bishop first. It's the possibility of doing that which led me to prefer the Knight move on move 11, but that might be wrong. The gambit line looks weird I know, but then the WQ is offside and maybe White's position risks becoming stagnant for all his slight lead in development? -- more work needed!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo