Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Is the solid and boring CaroKann really solid? (Read 4965 times)
Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Re: Is the solid and boring CaroKann really solid?
Reply #6 - 09/11/16 at 18:42:14
Post Tools
Thanks a lot for your answers. Really a pleasure to read everyone of you

GTalk  
IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #5 - 09/08/16 at 10:19:23
Post Tools
So, could you give so lines? I am interested. ...Bf5 ou Nd7 main line?

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #4 - 09/08/16 at 08:09:13
Post Tools
Also it seems to me that chess is full of sharp lines, opposite sides castling and sacrifices, if that is what White really wants.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/08/16 at 06:43:29
Post Tools
I switched from the Sicilian to the Caro-Kann mainly because of the boring c3-Sicilians (another thread?  Wink) I had to play against and the amount of theory where you just have to do your opening homework.

Although at this moment I have only played blitz games with the CK, the games I get are always interesting and fun! One part of the fun aspect is due to the freshness of playing a new opening, but the positions are always imbalanced and there is always room for creativity.

The imbalances which are present in most variations is one of the things which attracts me to the Caro-Kann. There are few Kill-All-The-Black-Fun variations for white such as the c3-Sicilian or the Exchange French. I think you have more chances to outplay (or be outplayed...) your opponent in the CK in the minor variations.

The other thing is the reputation of the CK. When I told my teammates I was going to switch to the CK the first response was "Oh? To get a draw?".
The CK has the reputation for boring play and for players who like a quick draw with black. That reputation already gives you a plus in the opening if you just want to play chess and play for a win!

As a former Sicilian player I love it when white goes all-in in the not so solid Nc3-Advance variation  Cheesy

@Pingudon The CK is still solid in most variations, but not that passive. Wells has written a nice overview of the CK if you would like to check it out.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/07/16 at 23:40:08
Post Tools
Not boring, no.
That rep came from the old lines in the ...Bf5 system where black castled queenside by default against white's 0-0-0. And tried to hang on, but often did not.

There is lots of interesting stuff now, in all lines (well apart from the Panov endgame line, which remains drawn!).

IP Logged

up and comer

Reply #1 - 09/07/16 at 22:56:48
Post Tools
I think you have options when playing the caro. You can play the lines that strive for boring, drawish play or you can play the lines that lead to complex games with plenty of attacking and counter attacking chances for both sides. The recent focus of opening books and strong players seems to be on the latter.

I personally get pretty exciting and tactical games with it, I don't think it's boring at all.

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Is the solid and boring CaroKann really solid?
09/07/16 at 21:49:58
Post Tools
I have been studying the Caro because I was told it was very solid. But what I have found is a lot of sharp lines, opposite sides castling and sacrifices. The new Caro is still considered solid and boring?

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo