Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Uncommon (?) Carokann Defence (Read 4339 times)
JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: Uncommon (?) Carokann Defence
Reply #5 - 12/27/16 at 06:59:03
Post Tools
ham204 wrote on 10/19/16 at 07:35:18:

"I decided to grab the free lolly"  Cheesy

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #4 - 12/27/16 at 06:00:29
Post Tools
This is covered in a DVD called "A busy person's opening system" by Nigel Davies. It's basically a Philidor/Old Indian set up with Black and White, but with the Queen's Bishop often outside the pawn chain. It's not really aimed at transposing to a Czech Pirc. Nigel's DVD doesn't cover 1. e4 d6 2. d4 c6 3. f4

The system avoids theory, but doesn't do enough equalise or unbalance.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 12/26/16 at 21:24:07
Post Tools
Yeah; regarding the Czech-Pirc (I think I first learned of it as the Pribyl) comparison, one thought is to compare it to 4...Qb6 (instead of 4...Qa5), which I've seen considered clearly better for White based on a game Leko-Hodgson which went 5. e5 Nd5 6. Nxd5 cd 7. Bd3.

IP Logged

cramie10
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/25/16 at 14:11:43
Post Tools
My personal taste sides with RdC. However, one could argue that a quick advance of central pawns is what black is actually trying to provoke.

Speaking specifically of this type of system against 1. d4, I toyed with these ideas for a while and found that the most irritating system for white was actually where he plays a solid Catalan type set up (although, I was actually always preferring to put my LSB on f5, not g4, which is slightly different).

Against 1. e4, however, I find it hard to believe that Black's position isn't simply bad if white plays an Austrian Attack-type set up. See the Czech-Pirc (dubious at best), for example, where Black plays ...Qa5 early on to pressure white's big centre (having played ...c6, ...d6, ...Nf6). It seems your idea would be similar to a Czech-Pirc, but the queen is on c7, instead of the more active a5. Obviously you're playing an early Bg4 too, but I don't see how that's useful, really.

Summary: Bad idea if white plays aggressively with f4. If white plays Nf3 without f4, perhaps it's like a Czech-Pirc with your queen already on c7, which is probably an inferior version. You might try to transpose into something like a Philidor by getting ...e5 in, but then your Bishop is on g4 which isn't often right.

Doing things wrong since '94

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 10/19/16 at 08:41:42
Post Tools

The video was about playing it against 1. d4 when it would probably be classified as the Old Indian. It can work after a fashion against solid White systems. If you tried to play it against 1. e4, Black would be in danger of being swamped by an advance of central pawns. White might try e4, d4 and f4 followed by e5.

Playing .. Bg4 isn't going to work if White doesn't put a Knight there.

IP Logged

ham204

I Love ChessPublishing!

Uncommon (?) Carokann Defence
10/19/16 at 07:35:18
Post Tools
What do members think about a setup with ...c6; ...d6; ...Qc7 and ...Bg4 when White plays Nf3? I saw a youtube video about it and looks like a basic defence against practically anything.  Does it have an ECO?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdOb5gt4vIQ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo