Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The trendy a4 Modern Italian (Read 1223 times)
GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Re: The trendy a4 Modern Italian
Reply #7 - 11/18/16 at 06:13:19
Post Tools
The game courtesy of TWIC:

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 11/17/16 at 19:59:11
Post Tools
cheese111 wrote on 11/17/16 at 19:45:35:
It doesn't look like the Italian has been played since 1981 in a World Championship match, but it is currently being played by Carlsen. As this is of some interest to my repertoire, I think I'll upload some content in the next few days.

Yeah, that sort of Italian had some popularity in the 1980s. For example I believe Andrew Soltis did a book on it, writing that it gives Spanish-like play without all the theory. Fast forward 30+ years, and there's a book about to come out on it from NIC for which the blurb begins, "a chess opening that does not require you to study continuously evolving theory."

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 11/17/16 at 19:56:33
Post Tools
cheese111 wrote on 11/17/16 at 19:45:35:
It doesn't look like the Italian has been played since 1981 in a World Championship match, but it is currently being played by Carlsen. As this is of some interest to my repertoire, I think I'll upload some content in the next few days.

I was just gonna post on this. Carlsen lashed out the moves pretty quickly until move 13, when Karjakin started thinking and played 13...Nxe4. Interesting.

IP Logged

cheese111
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/17/16 at 19:45:35
Post Tools

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 10/30/16 at 22:25:00
Post Tools
Hello.

The a4 move takes space and the main idea is that this will prove to be useful at some point. A small upside is also that b2-b4 is marginally more attractive with a4 played.

It's hard to say if white can get anything theoretically playing like this; after all a4 is not a developing move. On the other hand quick development is rarely going to test black's inherently solid Italian setup anyway so white might as well try something else.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #2 - 10/30/16 at 18:24:13
Post Tools
I'd say that it's a serious try for an advantage, but like in every main line, respectable opening, Black will eventually equalize with best play. 

Bryan Paulsen would call it a draw, I'd call it a chance to play for a win with White.  Both are essentially correct.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 10/30/16 at 17:59:35
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 10/30/16 at 12:46:07:
Is this a4 Modern Italian a draw?
Or a chance to play for a win with White?

Sorry for the short response, but it is neither of that. Its just another way to reach an interesting middlegame with mutual chances where the better player wins.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

The trendy a4 Modern Italian
10/30/16 at 12:46:07
Post Tools
Dear ChessPubbers, It has been some time since the Forum analysed any openings and variations in a collaborative manner. I thought I will attempt to begin a discussion in the very old Italian game.
From the just concluded Russian Superfinals, GM Peter Svidler had been posting a video of himself conducting a post-mortem after every round on Chess 24. In Rd 7, he had this to say:
Quote:
A couple of Superfinals ago I actually played the Bird Opening (1.f4) against him [Dmitry Jakovenko] with White such was my despair at his opening repertoire. The Bird probably is not forthcoming tomorrow but this should give you an impression of just how solid his black repertoire is if I can occasionally be driven to extremes like that.

Why, 'cos in rd 8, Svidler has to play Jakovenko. And this is what Chess24 reported:
Quote:
So what would he do? Well, as Svidler explains in his latest post-mortem, he decided to adopt, the old monkey-see monkey-do strategy, and play the newfangled Giuoco Piano with 8.a4.
The players ended up reaching the same position on move 17 as Fedoseev-Tomashevsky in Round 4, but took about 40 minutes each to get there, which Svidler described as, a bit ridiculous.

Previously back in June, I posted on another thread http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1432085393/37#37 at Reply #34, a quote from GM Colovic's blog on the opening trends in the Grand Chess Tour double consecutive weekend header Quote:
There were already 4 Giuoco Pianos, 3 with the recently very popular plan with a2-a4
Only TN responded Quote:
There were already 4 Giuoco Pianos, 3 with the recently very popular plan with a2-a4
[reply #35].

I attach the following games based on Nepomniachtchi's win over Mamedyarov from the recent Tal Memorial and included some recent games with players over 2600. [There are lots more recent games but I don't seem to be able to attach a pgn file. Can anyone help? Where is the "button" to attach files?]

So, what is/are the idea/s behind a a2-a4 push in the modern Italian?
Is this a4 Modern Italian a draw?
Or a chance to play for a win with White?

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo