Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Books on the Schiliemann (Read 34038 times)
Jonathan Tait
God Member

Re: Books on the Schiliemann
Reply #36 - 04/10/18 at 09:57:00
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 04/10/18 at 01:03:13:
I always wondered how to combine an aggressive, tactical style with the Jänisch in combination with the strategic openings like the Giuoco Pianissimo or Four Knights should White be a non Ruy Lopez player.

Actually, I'm working on something about that at the moment Smiley

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #35 - 04/10/18 at 05:44:19
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 04/10/18 at 01:03:13:
in combination with the strategic openings like the Giuoco Pianissimo or Four Knights should White be a non Ruy Lopez player.

Giuoco Pianissimo: head for either ...d5 or ...f5.

http://www.ianchessgambits.com/two-knights-defence-4d3-4nc3.html

Four Knights: 5.Bb5 Bc5!? is tactical but risky.

Of course there are quiet variations left, like the Scottish Four Knights.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #34 - 04/10/18 at 01:03:13
Post Tools
I bought these two books (book 1 on theory and book 2 on tactics) a whilst ago. If I remember well, they were not expensive. I am new to this opening, and since I really do not know the theory, I comment much about it. But the books look interesting overall, I would say a good purchase.

I do not know much about the Jänisch, but I always wondered how to combine an aggressive, tactical style with the Jänisch in combination with the strategic openings like the Giuoco Pianissimo or Four Knights should White be a non Ruy Lopez player.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #33 - 04/08/18 at 19:37:29
Post Tools
For me it's really disturbing to find the Jänisch (Jaenisch) called Schliemann. No answer necessary.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #32 - 04/08/18 at 11:40:42
Post Tools

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Re: Books on the Schliemann
Reply #31 - 04/08/18 at 11:37:59
Post Tools
Could someone step in and fix the spellings please?

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #30 - 04/08/18 at 08:32:44
Post Tools
There is also the new book Schielmann - The Complete Guide by Roman Jiganchine which is available on ForwardChess.  I see he's a master living in Canada and that he's written quite a few books.  I don't have the book so I can't offer a review.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #29 - 02/20/18 at 08:56:44
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 02/19/18 at 16:47:44:
I thought the video was 17 euros? How do you get it for 5 - is that by subscribing to the site?

Also, do you still play this opening? (or at least consider it still part of your repertoire?

The video may be 17 euros – I don't know, I'm not interested in videos – but the single ebook is just 4.99, and signing up for the site is free. Yes, I think you can pay more to get access to all the ebooks, but I'm not interested in that either.

Yes, I still play the Schliemann Smiley – when anyone gives me the chance anyway, which isn't very often nowadays.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #28 - 02/20/18 at 08:50:35
Post Tools
Well, you've given me something to think about anyway. I have no programming ability at all to write scripts and suchlike, but possibly someone does.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #27 - 02/20/18 at 01:39:05
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 02/19/18 at 08:03:11:
Everyman already produces electronic versions via Kindle and their own chess-playing app. And the whole book goes to print as a PDF. What we want is to produce ChessBase compatible ebooks as well. Do you actually have any helpful suggestions as to how to do that without copying and pasting text manually? Or are you just being a smartarse?

I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, it probably just seems that way because of, you know, the internet.

As it happens, I just bought Hansen's Closed Sicilian MBM. Game 5 in the PGN file begins:

Quote:
1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 ({As a committed Najdorf player, Novikov opted for} 2... d6
{here, and only after} 3. g3 {then} Nc6 4. Bg2 g6 5. d3 Bg7 {etc.}) 3. g3 g6 4.
Bg2 Bg7 5. d3 d6 6. Be3 e6 7. Qd2 {The most consistent continuation;} ({
instead,} 7. f4 Nge7 8. Nf3 O-O 9. O-O {transposes to 6 f4 e6 lines in Chapter
Six.}) 7... Nd4 {This is generally considered premature. Black should normally

Now when I unpack the EPUB file, I see that index_split_008.html contains the following (I replaced the angle-braces with curly-braces, and bolded the text between the braces.) :

Quote:
{span class="bold"}1 e4 c5 2 Nc3 Nc6{/span}{/span}
{/div}
{p class="calibre_1"}{span class="calibre1" xml:lang="EN-US"}As a committed Najdorf player, Novikov opted for 2 ... d6 here, and only after 3 g3 then 3 ... Nc6 4 Bg2 g6 5 d3 Bg7 etc.{/span}{/p}
{p class="calibre_1"}{span class="calibre1 bold" xml:lang="EN-US"}3 g3 g6 4 Bg2 Bg7 5 d3 d6 6 Be3 e6 7 Qd2{/span}{/p}
{p class="calibre_1"}{span class="calibre1" xml:lang="EN-US"}The most consistent continuation; instead, 7 f4 Nge7 8 Nf3 0-0 9 0-0 transposes to 6 f4 e6 lines in Chapter Six.{/span}{/p}
{p class="calibre_1"}{span class="calibre1 bold" xml:lang="EN-US"}7 ... Nd4{/span}{/p}
{p class="calibre_1"}{span class="calibre1" xml:lang="EN-US"}This is generally considered premature. Black should normally

So, if Everyman sold me the EPUB but did not include a PGN, I would write a script to extract all the HTML content to a TXT file, then in a text editor transform that to PGN by adding the tags and braces. But I would never advise Everyman to do it that way. Instead Everyman should create some html-classes to distinguish pgn-moves from pgn-comments from editorial-comments. Then create a custom css to render the html-classes as desired. Now the script that extracts the HTML content from the EPUB can read the html-classes to automatically generate a valid PGN file.

Check this out from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB

Quote:
Data interchange

EPUB is a popular way to feed the ebook creation process, because it is an open format and is based on HTML, while Amazon's format is proprietary. EPUB is the "first step" (initial) format of the content in many production processes and supply chains.

BTW, the file MBMCSicilian.pgn is NOT valid pgn, it violates the specification in numerous ways. So even though I do not have to extract from the epub, I still have to spend a lot of time in a text editor getting their pgn file to conform to the pgn standard. The pgn I quoted above already contains a mistake according to the standard. See if you can spot it.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 02/19/18 at 16:47:44
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 02/19/18 at 08:07:47:
TopNotch wrote on 02/18/18 at 15:34:26:
Posters keen on this defence could also consider the following chess24 (2016) release by a leading practitioner:

'Hi everyone, my name is Roeland Pruijssers. I am a Dutch Grandmaster. In my first series for chess24 I want to share my analysis, games and ideas in the Schliemann-Jaenisch Gambit. It's an opening which I've been studying and playing for about five years now - with very good results.'

Yes, that's an essential online publication for serious Schliemann enthusiasts – and it's only five euros for permanent access Smiley

I thought the video was 17 euros? How do you get it for 5 - is that by subscribing to the site?

Also, do you still play this opening? (or at least consider it still part of your repertoire?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #25 - 02/19/18 at 08:07:47
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 02/18/18 at 15:34:26:
Posters keen on this defence could also consider the following chess24 (2016) release by a leading practitioner:

'Hi everyone, my name is Roeland Pruijssers. I am a Dutch Grandmaster. In my first series for chess24 I want to share my analysis, games and ideas in the Schliemann-Jaenisch Gambit. It's an opening which I've been studying and playing for about five years now - with very good results.'

Yes, that's an essential online publication for serious Schliemann enthusiasts – and it's only five euros for permanent access Smiley

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #24 - 02/19/18 at 08:03:11
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 02/19/18 at 05:21:59:
You don't have that now. Witness the copying and pasting.
ChessBase is great, but it's just software. If it doesn't do exactly what you need (and I predict it doesn't), get another program. Or roll your own.

Everyman already produces electronic versions via Kindle and their own chess-playing app. And the whole book goes to print as a PDF. What we want is to produce ChessBase compatible ebooks as well. Do you actually have any helpful suggestions as to how to do that without copying and pasting text manually? Or are you just being a smartarse?

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #23 - 02/19/18 at 05:21:59
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 02/18/18 at 14:57:52:
If you can think of a format that allows a direct transition to ChessBase game files, please let me know

You don't have that now. Witness the copying and pasting.
ChessBase is great, but it's just software. If it doesn't do exactly what you need (and I predict it doesn't), get another program. Or roll your own.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #22 - 02/18/18 at 15:34:26
Post Tools

Bye.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo