Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The London System - properly played by M Schmucker (Read 9801 times)
Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The London System - properly played by M Schmucker
Reply #6 - 11/27/17 at 00:29:00
Post Tools
Your analysis on the 8. Qxf5 line looks good and I don't see any advantage for White in that line. Against the 6...g6 line, it recommends 7. Nbd2 Bf5 8.dxc5! Qxc5 9.Qb3 Na5 10.Qb5+ Qxb5 11.Bxb5 Bd7 12.Be2! Bg7 13. Ne5 Nc6 14.Nxd7 Nxd7 15.0-0-0 Nc5 now Schmucker mentions that Avrukh in Beating d4 sidelines ends here and says the position is = but Schmucker gives 16.g4!+=.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #5 - 08/13/17 at 10:13:50
Post Tools
MicahSmith wrote on 08/13/17 at 02:34:58:
Exchanging queens on b6 doesn't give White any advantage, despite Black's doubled pawns.

Does it not? I do think the 'standard' line 6.Qb3 c4 7.Qb6: ab6: is better for Black or at least easier to play for him; but surely it must be a magnitude better for White (by comparison) after c4 is exchanged for e3?
The entire gameplan (in the other line) of pushing the b-pawn down the board is almost impossible with the White lsq Bishop controlling b5, so instinctively this looks to me like Black barely has any play, while White can slowly improve his position and either trade down into a winning endgame or.. well, kinda do whatever.

Quote:
When analyzing this line, I just happened to see what the engine thought of 8.Qxf5 (instead of 8.Qb3) and the engine doesn't like 8.Qxf5 at first but to my amazement it eventually thinks White is better! What are your thoughts on 8.Qxf5?

Actually a rather curious try. I can't really find something that I would rate as an advantage if I just tab through, but I won't claim this to be perfect play from either side, and it most certainly is a fresh position.

I landed at this:

Which is rather difficult for me to evaluate.

Just looking at it, I think I would very slightly prefer Black; the engine gives 0.0 for the top 5 White moves; but it does look unbalanced enough to give chances to either side, in particular if White has actually spent some time analyzing this deeper.

Does he promise some kind of advantage against 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5 4.e3 Nc6 5.c3 Qb6 6.Qc2 g6, btw? Never really understood what White is doing in this position

IP Logged

MicahSmith
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 08/13/17 at 02:34:58
Post Tools
I got this book in the mail yesterday and I think it's pretty good.

One very interesting line that comes about via the books repertoire is 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5 4.e3 Nc6 5.c3 Qb6! 6.Qc2! cxd4 7.exd4 Bf5 now the book gives the routine 8.Qb3 and says "An exchange on b3 or b6 would only be favorable for White. 8...Qxb3 9.axb3 e6+=" However, I don't think White gets any advantage if Black just develops with 8...e6 instead of giving White good queenside play with 8...Qxb3?!. Exchanging queens on b6 doesn't give White any advantage, despite Black's doubled pawns. When analyzing this line, I just happened to see what the engine thought of 8.Qxf5 (instead of 8.Qb3) and the engine doesn't like 8.Qxf5 at first but to my amazement it eventually thinks White is better! What are your thoughts on 8.Qxf5?

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #3 - 12/14/16 at 09:03:44
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 12/14/16 at 04:01:40:
I can't figure out how to post a direct link to the book on the niggemann site but if you search for London System on the site you should find it.

https://www.schachversand.de/scripts/querydeutsch.idq?CiBookMark=N-1ebb890-82d-1... schmuecker) or (@myAlteArtikelnummer schmuecker*))&@mylieferbar=true&CiMaxRecordsPerPage=1&CiScope=/&CiSort=myalpha[a]

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/14/16 at 04:01:40
Post Tools
I can't figure out how to post a direct link to the book on the niggemann site but if you search for London System on the site you should find it.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 11/27/16 at 00:02:19
Post Tools
Hi A3.
Thanks for the suggestion and the link. It's easy to miss non-English texts, and those away from major publishers.

Alas the link is a general one, and I could not find the new edition. Could you perhaps furnish a direct link please? Thank you in advance, B

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

The London System - properly played by M Schmucker
11/25/16 at 02:25:55
Post Tools
This is another new book on the London System (although it only covers 1...d5 and recommends the 2.Nf3 move-order)! On the Schachversand Niggemann site, https://www.schachversand.de/startneue2.htm, It's out in German and should be out any time now in English.

This is an updated version of the book Schmucker previously wrote on the London System. One interesting thing you can see from the contents page is that he now recommends 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5 4.e3 Nc6 5.c3 Qb6 6.Qc2 rather than 6.Qb3 c4 7.Qxb6 axb6 8.Na3 which he recommended in the first edition.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo