Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maroczy Bind books for White vs Taimanov and Kan (Read 10362 times)
Straggler

Re: Maroczy Bind books for White vs Taimanov and Kan
Reply #12 - 07/28/17 at 10:19:00
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 12/15/16 at 15:24:59:
Stigma wrote on 12/15/16 at 14:20:40:
I'm aware of one repertoire book that offers 5.c4 against the Kan: Desmontando la Siciliana (2003) by de la Villa.

I have been using his book with 5. Nc3

I think this explains when in an otherwise Maroczy bind free repertoire, he has 3. c4 transposing into a Kan against the O'Kelly. He must have forgot to update that too when he changed approach against the Kan.

Actually he didn't: against 2...a6 3.c4 e6, instead of 4.d4 he goes 4.Nc3 ("!" - his exclam) Qc7 5.Be2 d6 6.0-0 Nf6 7.d4, thus cutting out some of Black's options in the Kan. This was in fact his recommendation in the Spanish edition too: he could have simply transposed to his 5.c4 line against the Kan, but he thought 4.Nc3 was even better. It would have been interesting to see whether Kotronias agreed, but he doesn't cover the O'Kelly.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 02/05/17 at 18:25:59
Post Tools
They avoid the Sveshnikov with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Nc6 6.Nxc6.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #10 - 02/05/17 at 13:11:30
Post Tools
WSS wrote on 02/04/17 at 13:19:21:
Chess Stars Publishing has a new book:

Attacking the Flexible Sicilian
by Vassilios Kotronias and Semko Semkov

This book presents a full repertoire against open Sicilians with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6. It advocates the modern set-up with Bc1-e3 and Qd1-f3 against the Taimanov, an innovative treatment of the Keres Attack, 5.c4 against the Kan. The authors develop many new plans for White, relying on their chess instincts and original analysis.

What do they advocate against the Sveshnikov Variation via. the 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 move-order?

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/04/17 at 13:19:21
Post Tools
Chess Stars Publishing has a new book:

Attacking the Flexible Sicilian
by Vassilios Kotronias and Semko Semkov

This book presents a full repertoire against open Sicilians with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6. It advocates the modern set-up with Bc1-e3 and Qd1-f3 against the Taimanov, an innovative treatment of the Keres Attack, 5.c4 against the Kan. The authors develop many new plans for White, relying on their chess instincts and original analysis.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 12/19/16 at 23:54:31
Post Tools
I was reminded of an article from CBM 160 ...

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nb5 d6 6.c4 Nf6 7.N1c3 a6 8.Na3 Be7 9.Be2 0-0 10.0-0 b6 11.Be3 Bb7 12.Qb3 Nd7 13.Rfd1

A Hedgehog position is reached soon after 5.Nb5 and the position in the diagram then comes about almost “automatically”. In his investigations Krisztian Szabo comes to the conclusion that the variation is very playable for both sides.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 12/19/16 at 15:11:06
Post Tools
I like the concept of giving old Grandmaster lines a modern review, particularly ones chosen by strong strategic/positional players, and you've got a good base with Karpov.

I'm sure there's lots of possibilities of stuff that's sound, and positionally well founded, just not the most cutting edge and fashionable.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #6 - 12/19/16 at 14:50:49
Post Tools
There are some insights into the Maroczy vs. the Kan Hedgehog via 5 Bd3 (for White) in Thomas Luther's new book from Quality Chess.

Re 5 Nb5 d6 6 c4 vs. the Taimanov, I suggest you could do a lot worse than start off by studying Karpov's games as White from the 1970s. After that maybe try to find some improvements for White on the lines given in the main black repertoire books. In any case though, White cannot be worse and players with Black these days may be somewhat lacking in experience against it and may therefore feel uncomfortable.

As a back-up, maybe look at Fischer's favourite 5 Nb5 d6 6 Bf4, because a) how many Taimanov players are comfortable in the resulting Sveshnikov-type pawn structure?, and b) that line has been out of fashion for so long now that there is a decent chance that there are some improvements waiting to be found with the aid of a good engine.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #5 - 12/19/16 at 10:24:58
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies. Seems to match my own research that there isn't anything (apart from de la Villa).

I was looking to build an Open Sicilian repertoire on the foundations of systems with the English Attack set ups and Maroczy Bind Sets ups. Not necessarily directly though as e.g. 11. c4 the Sveshnikov (Modenized Sicilian covers this, the Kalshnikov and the Accellerated Dragon quite nicely).

So I had a bit of a gap with the Taimanov and Kan. I could go English Attack vs the Taimanov which is fine and there's lots of material for.

So this leaves me with the slippery Kan. I have material for a delayed c4 after 5. Bd3 which is OK and I might go with if 5. c4 material is lacking.

Creating it myself from general sources is an interesting idea and would be quite instructive to create a repertoire this way, but not quite what I was planning to do.

I might just have to can the Kan

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #4 - 12/16/16 at 05:38:19
Post Tools
You could just piece together material on the 5.c4 Kan from different sources. I have some interest in this line, because I would like to make the Kan work for Black, but also because of the possible transposition from 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e6 and related Symmetrical English move orders.

- ChessPublishing, of course!
- the aforementioned relevant Hedgehog volume by Shipov
- the game with the 5.c4 Kan in one of the Carlsen-Anand matches, analyzed in many places
- Grandmaster Versus Amateur, p. 58-59 (analysis by Pavel Eljanov of the Hedgehog line)
- a series on it in the NIC Yearbooks a few years back
- Emms' 2002 book on the Kan, which was a survey of the entire opening, not a repertoire
- all the Black repertoire book are also very relevant of course (Delchev/Semkov, Hellsten, Zeller)

I'm not aware of any books on the Maroczy approach in the Taimanov specifically targeted to White players, but there are many books either of the "complete" type or Black repertoires that cover it.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #3 - 12/15/16 at 15:24:59
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 12/15/16 at 14:20:40:
I'm aware of one repertoire book that offers 5.c4 against the Kan: Desmontando la Siciliana (2003) by de la Villa.

I have been using his book with 5. Nc3

I think this explains when in an otherwise Maroczy bind free repertoire, he has 3. c4 transposing into a Kan against the O'Kelly. He must have forgot to update that too when he changed approach against the Kan.

Part of my reason for this question is to add Maroczy binds into my repertoire to get a feel for them, and 5. c4 seemed a more direct way than going via 5. Bd3 which is the main recommendation which I have lots of material for, but nothing for 5. c4  Huh, similarly for a Maroczy approach vs the Taimanov (plenty of other tries  Smiley)

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 12/15/16 at 14:20:40
Post Tools

This is of course the original spanish edition of ... guess which book.

De la Villa switched to 5.Nc3 for some reason, but 5.c4 is still dangerous. Analysis would surely need some updating.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

motörhead

Here comes the bass, thunder
in the guts...

Reply #1 - 12/15/16 at 10:52:05
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 12/15/16 at 09:59:00:
Are there any books for White side, general opening books aside, covering the Maroczy Bind books for White vs. Taimanov and Kan? specifically

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4 Nc6 5. Nb5 d6 6. c4

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4   a6 5. c4

I'm aware of books that include c4 against the Kan via 5. Bd3, but not of the direct 5. c4

I' m no expert on that Maroczy-theme.
The only book I know of dealing with it is - from black's view -
"Against the Maroczy Bind", Colin Crouch/Alexander Kulagin, published 1995 in English by Münster International, Nuremberg.
On araound 100 pages it deals with set ups containing a king's fianchetto by Black, meaning a dragon or king's indian with c7-c5 approach against the pawn bind on c4 and e4.
Interesting, but won't help you, I think.

There too is Sergey Shipov's "The Complete Hedgehog" in two tomes (Mongoose Press). Kan may tranfer to Hedgehog.
That books are also written from black's view dealing heavily with Maroczy set ups - which too may serve players of the white side.

A walk trough the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Maroczy Bind books for White vs Taimanov and Kan
12/15/16 at 09:59:00
Post Tools
Are there any books for White side, general opening books aside, covering the Maroczy Bind books for White vs. Taimanov and Kan? specifically

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4 Nc6 5. Nb5 d6 6. c4

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4   a6 5. c4

I'm aware of books that include c4 against the Kan via 5. Bd3, but not of the direct 5. c4

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo