Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: What is Your Vote for the Opening Book of the Year 2016?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Collins, A Simple Chess Opening Repertoire for Whi    
  11 (8.5%)
Cummings, The English    
  16 (12.3%)
Delchev/Semkov, Attacking the English/Reti    
  2 (1.5%)
Dreev, Bf4 in the Queens Gambit and Exchange Slav    
  5 (3.8%)
Kuzmin, The Zaitsev System    
  6 (4.6%)
Mikhalevski, Beating Minor Openings    
  4 (3.1%)
Negi, 1.e4 vs the Sicilian III    
  7 (5.4%)
Ntrilis, Play 1.e4 e5    
  44 (33.8%)
Pert, Play the Ragozin    
  6 (4.6%)
Shaw, Playing 1.e4 -- Caro-Kann, 1..e5    
  12 (9.2%)
Smirin, Kings Indian Warfare    
  14 (10.8%)
Solozhenkin, The Spanish Main Road    
  3 (2.3%)

Total votes: 130
« Created by: LeeRoth on: 04/01/17 at 15:09:20 »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessPub Opening Book of the Year 2016 (Read 23212 times)
RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: ChessPub Opening Book of the Year 2016
Reply #73 - 04/29/17 at 10:33:27
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 04/28/17 at 22:38:06:
Regarding a run-off election:

I think it's a non-starter.  My thanks go to LeeRoth and the rest for running this poll while I've been away from the site. It's difficult enough to get one poll completed in a reasonable time, having a run-off seems pointless to me. It's rare that any one book will get a majority when there are so many great books out there.

I see no good reason to have a run-off election for book of the year.

Agreed. We sort of had a run off last year I think but that was only because there were too many books nominated to fit in one poll.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #72 - 04/28/17 at 22:38:06
Post Tools
Regarding a run-off election:

I think it's a non-starter.  My thanks go to LeeRoth and the rest for running this poll while I've been away from the site. It's difficult enough to get one poll completed in a reasonable time, having a run-off seems pointless to me. It's rare that any one book will get a majority when there are so many great books out there.

I see no good reason to have a run-off election for book of the year.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #71 - 04/28/17 at 13:26:06
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 04/28/17 at 08:14:30:
If that the case I play corr chess for the wrong reasons.

Not at all. Experimenting a bit is what theme tournaments are for and it only can be expected that you will be at the receiving end now and then.
One opponent of mine wrote me that he deliberately didn't use silicon power because he wanted to find out how good his own analytical skills were.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #70 - 04/28/17 at 11:58:20
Post Tools
@bragesjo:

Nothing wrong with those reason of course. I hope you get a lot out of it! It must be a bit frustrating when you lose out to heavy computer analysis, but the satisfaction of finding a human move that the computers struggle with is good consolation.

I was thinking of what I've heard from CC players who are more concerned with trying to reach the top of that discipline than using it to improve their understanding or OTB play.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #69 - 04/28/17 at 08:14:30
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 04/27/17 at 17:41:07:
[
I thought much of the point of modern correspondence chess was trying to be computer proof in the openings, either by analyzing them to ridiculous depths or by finding some pockets of theory where the computers still misunderstand what's going on? If you're just following a book, you're not even trying...

I don't find this task very interesting myself; I much prefer a fight between fallible humans who try their best over the board.

If that the case I play corr chess for the wrong reasons. I play corr chess thematical tournaments to try out openings and lines I normally does not get the chanse to play. I also play corr since the local chessclub has moved so its takes a very long to to get there and gets late when I get back  home I  still want to play some sorts of chess appart from a few weekend tournamnets away from local town.  Also, I can not get ridiculous depths  at my old laptop. In some other games I found some interesting middlegame ideas and moves where computers does not have clue on whats going on. I some games I made exchange sacrifices where computers wants to play something completly different and after a long while computer asses my move as better.
« Last Edit: 04/28/17 at 09:22:02 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #68 - 04/27/17 at 17:41:07
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 04/27/17 at 14:47:47:
I had a book written for black that I used when I played the opening in over the board and I followed the book lines without any computer check.

I thought much of the point of modern correspondence chess was trying to be computer proof in the openings, either by analyzing them to ridiculous depths or by finding some pockets of theory where the computers still misunderstand what's going on? If you're just following a book, you're not even trying...

I don't find this task very interesting myself; I much prefer a fight between fallible humans who try their best over the board.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #67 - 04/27/17 at 17:34:31
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 04/27/17 at 06:47:32:
Perhaps in the future we should have a runoff when no single book received a majority of the total votes cast?

I'm not sure how well that would work. People are voting for books they have actually read hopefully, but I don't think many will have bought every single book that's nominated. If a book is amazing but I haven't seen it, I still can't vote for it in the second round.

Personally, I haven't voted at all the last couple of years because I have almost no time to study openings anymore. Doesn't seem to make much difference to my results! It's hard enough to find time to play a few games and be rested at the same time now and then.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #66 - 04/27/17 at 14:47:47
Post Tools
About book and correspondence games and errors I can share some experience from a different book by a different author in a different opening.

I am new to correspondance chess I am currently playing in a thematical tournament in a solid opening. I had a book written for black that I used when I played the opening in over the board and I followed the book lines without any computer check. In one position the book suggested a  commiting forced sequence of moves leading to dynamic balance quating some game that ended up in a draw.  My opponent followed the sequence but played an improvment  over the quated game directly where the books sequence ended. And it turns out that the improvment simply wins a pawn in all lines becouse of a deep tactical piece sacrifice for a pawn and the piece will be regained by force many moves later with a strong attack as well that the computer discovered almost at once. I failed to find the best defence and lost very quickly.

So books can not be trusted. I reached the position in some other game too some days later  so I diverted from the book and played something else instead.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #65 - 04/27/17 at 06:47:32
Post Tools
Perhaps in the future we should have a runoff when no single book received a majority of the total votes cast?

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #64 - 04/25/17 at 13:04:27
Post Tools
Since you quoted my nomination, saying you trusted it and feel ripped off, let me say that it's a pity you bought a book you didn't like.

Yes, it's true, Dreev's 12.Nd2 plainly drops a pawn to 12...Ne4 where avoiding the pin with 12.Kf1 or 12.Ke2 doesn't.

This erroneous move reads like an aside that was interjected at the last minute as an afterthought. It is, as you say, in a subvariation--a tiny two-ply parenthetical  "10...Bxb5 11. Bxb5 Bd6 (11... Bb4+ 12. Nd2 +/=) 12. Bxd6 Qxd6 13.O-O a6 ..." within the main analysis of a  novelty (10.Nb5!?) proposed in response to a sideline (9...Ba6, when the whole point of playing 8...b6 is to play Bb7, taking advantage of the open long diagonal) within another sideline (omitting Nc3 entirely for a long time is not on the list of the more important lines given by Dreev). Furthermore, in the very same place Dreev gives an alternative novelty that is both forcing and good, namely 10. Bxa6 Nxa6 11.O-O +/=.

The point I got from reading this section of the book is that White should avoid allowing Black to exchange knight for bishop with ...Nh5, and that it's worth investing a tempo in h3 in order to achieve that aim, even at the cost of allowing an exchange of bishop for bishop. This is one of several strategic threads that run through the book, appearing in multiple variations. Furthermore, throughout we are armed with the move- order subtleties to execute these strategies while walking the Exchange Slav's all-too-smooth theoretical ice. The book is really superb in that respect; I've never seen anything quite like it. As far as I can tell,  this framework is unaffected by careless errors like the one you cite.

Of course, there would come a point where too many such oversights undermine faith in the book, and the location of that point is a subjective matter. And while it doesn't take a computer to find the error you mentioned, it does take a computer to rid a book like this, with so many variations, of such errors. For me, missing some tactics in places like this doesn't do it, but different people feel differently about computers and proofreading.

I would nominate and vote for the book again.
« Last Edit: 04/25/17 at 19:03:26 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 04/23/17 at 11:51:52
Post Tools
Ok, 1 example that was easy to find as my bookmark was still in where I stopped reading it.

Only a sub-variation, but as I said this was 1 of 3 I spotted in the first 20 pages - there will quite likely be more.

Pg 27, Section C5 (a)

The book gives 12.Nd2 += whereas after ..Ne4 he is clearly worse. It should have given 12.Ke2 +=

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #62 - 04/23/17 at 04:51:48
Post Tools
I think the issue here is regarding fair comment and fair play.

It is the internet. It's anonymous. Which can lead to issues.

When critique comes, it's better to support this in some way. Give examples. Even just a single example.

Otherwise it's back to the old adage. "Everyone on the internet is a dog." And certain comments just go 'woof'. And no disrespect to you or anyone, but views can appear barkingly worthless.

My own opinion by the way - I found the text useful overall.

IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 04/23/17 at 00:26:32
Post Tools
I have no need to convince anyone, by spending my time trying to find the errors and posting them.

I no longer play correspondence chess.  I found 3 errors in the first 15-20 pages or so - literally the only ones I checked because I didn't understand the evaluation. My point is that if the evaluations are obviously wrong to a 1900, how does a 2600 not spot them.

I feel ripped off, because I have quite reasonably lost trust in the evaluations and do not have the time to check the whole book for mistakes. That's why I paid good money for it.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #60 - 04/22/17 at 19:41:34
Post Tools
buddho wrote on 04/20/17 at 19:32:35:
My conclusion is that Dreev didn't write it.

My conclusion would have been that Ntirlis didn't write it.

Errors according to engines exist in every book, and within reason neither surprise me nor bother me. I have been using Dreev's ideas over the board (as has Dreev). I remain pleased with the book. Looking at your posts, I see you play computer correspondence chess. Maybe engine evaluation differences are more critical there, but I care more about coherence and clarity. These are what allow a human non-master to do well with an opening against other humans. "Ripped off" is very strong language; until I see a lot of extreme examples, I remain unconvinced that there's even a problem.
« Last Edit: 04/23/17 at 01:29:44 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 04/20/17 at 20:42:44
Post Tools
buddho wrote on 04/20/17 at 19:32:35:
ReneDescartes wrote on 02/04/17 at 15:00:19:
I would like to nominate Dreev, Bf4 in the Queen's Gambit and the Exchange Slav, Chess Stars 2016.

Based on reading this recommendation together with its nomination I purchased the book. I feel ripped off. It has not been computer checked and has loads of terrible errors. I am 1900  fide, yet the first 3 positions that looked wrong to me, I engine checked and we're indeed wrong. Ie slightly better for white was much better for black.

Could you post one or two of the positions with erroneous evaluations?

IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 04/20/17 at 19:32:35
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 02/04/17 at 15:00:19:
I would like to nominate Dreev, Bf4 in the Queen's Gambit and the Exchange Slav, Chess Stars 2016.

Based on reading this recommendation together with its nomination I purchased the book. I feel ripped off. It has not been computer checked and has loads of terrible errors. I am 1900  fide, yet the first 3 positions that looked wrong to me, I engine checked and we're indeed wrong. Ie slightly better for white was much better for black.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #57 - 04/19/17 at 17:27:55
Post Tools
Congrats!  To the author and editors and publisher.

It is a very good book and a deserving winner.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #56 - 04/18/17 at 09:47:44
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 04/17/17 at 15:27:34:
I did a facebook post about the competition providing a link. Usually, the previous years you should be a member in order to vote. Lots of my th friends realised that they can vote as well, so they did.

That probably explains it, none of the votes came from the same IP address, so there was no obvious duplication. Even without the 25 or so votes on the 14th Nikos would have won, but the vote would have been much closer.
I think we should leave the vote to stand and be a bit more careful next year.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #55 - 04/18/17 at 07:17:01
Post Tools
If guest votes were allowed at the start of the Poll, then the result should stand. I think it would be wrong to change the rules of the Poll now.

For next year, ChessPub could consider making it a member only vote.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #54 - 04/18/17 at 03:24:08
Post Tools
I really do think that the vote should be restricted to members only; not that people couldn't create a membership just to cast a vote, but most would not make that effort.

IP Logged

Nickajack
YaBB Newbies

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #53 - 04/18/17 at 01:38:50
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 04/17/17 at 21:47:18:
I left the poll open.  I thought having guests vote might bring in more votes and make the poll more meaningful.  The members didn't seem as interested as they usually are, and, given that hardly anyone noticed when the thread was accidentally deleted, I was concerned that a members-only poll might not garner enough votes.

I don't know that anything "dark" happened, but it is nevertheless disturbing that most of Nikos's votes came in on the 14th, after he posted his Facebook message.  The poll is supposed to be about the best book; its not supposed to be a popularity contest to see which author has the most friends.  If that is what has happened, then it was a mistake to let the guests vote.      

Tony, you are the boss.  If you want to back out the guest votes, it's your prerogative.      

Letting guests vote was a complete sham, and what could've gone wrong... did so.  Undecided

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #52 - 04/17/17 at 21:47:18
Post Tools
I left the poll open.  I thought having guests vote might bring in more votes and make the poll more meaningful.  The members didn't seem as interested as they usually are, and, given that hardly anyone noticed when the thread was accidentally deleted, I was concerned that a members-only poll might not garner enough votes.

I don't know that anything "dark" happened, but it is nevertheless disturbing that most of Nikos's votes came in on the 14th, after he posted his Facebook message.  The poll is supposed to be about the best book; its not supposed to be a popularity contest to see which author has the most friends.  If that is what has happened, then it was a mistake to let the guests vote.      

Tony, you are the boss.  If you want to back out the guest votes, it's your prerogative.      

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #51 - 04/17/17 at 20:28:54
Post Tools
As i was typing from a cell phone with many typos, now that i am in front of a normal PC, i paste my fabook post made at the 14nth of April

"Dear friends,

Every year, there is a poll for the "best opening book of the year" at the chesspub forum. In that poll, two times my books have finished second (deservedly so) , both times behind another Quality Chess book. This year the list of nominations is also great, but i feel i have a fair chance to steal the first place this time. If you want to support "Playing 1.e4 e5" please vote for me. If not, please vote for another book so that i get what i deserve once more! (2nd place that is Tongue )"

(followed by a link of this page)

This is where the "vast swathes of guest votes, particularly on the 14th April" probably came from. As i said, my fb friends realised that they can vote, so they did.

Also, let me add one of my Greek comments in that post translated in English from Google Translate (and thus the bad grammar):

"Thank you for the support. I am not sure though that these votes will count because the head of the site wrote that probably they will not count the guest votes but only votes of the members will. Of course, becoming a member is free, although it was somewhat inelegant to win by votes of those becoming members the last 2 days. I uploaded this link mainly for those who are friends here and are already members (and they are many!). In any yet Anyway, thanks for the support!"

The only reason i upload all these, is that Mr Kosten's comment seemed to indicate that something "dark" might have happened at the 14nth of April, and i wanted to clarify the issue.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #50 - 04/17/17 at 15:27:34
Post Tools
Hello,

I am almost sure.of.what happened here. I did a facebook post about the competition providing a link. Usually, the previous years you should be a member in order to vote. Lots of my th friends realised that they can vote as well, so they did.

My opinion is that the guest votes shouldn't have been allowed from the start. If the.moderators decide here to take these votes out, I d take it a reasonable decision.

In any case, thanks.to those members who votes for my book!

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 04/17/17 at 09:50:50
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/17/17 at 09:02:34:
LeeRoth wrote on 04/16/17 at 20:16:17:
Congrats, Nikos, on a well-deserved win

He seems to have received vast swathes of guest votes, particularly on the 14th April, but very few votes from members.

How was the vote handled before 2016? Were guest members allowed to vote?

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #48 - 04/17/17 at 09:43:05
Post Tools
Tony K raises an important point. My two pennyworth is (a) if guest votes are allowed in the rules, it is not fair to the winner to question them after the event unless there are indications of duplicate voting or some such misbehaviour; (b) 14th April was a public holiday in many countries, so it is not necessarily surprising if people found time to cast a vote on that day; (c) the award has gone to a very good book - it's not as though a group of conspirators have got together to promote some second rate effort.

I have no axe to grind; although I bought Nikos's book and regard it highly, I actually voted for Nick Pert's book on the Ragozin. The vote could be restricted to members next year if Tony thinks that would be beneficial - but we didn't do that this year, so I propose we don't now risk devaluing the result.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #47 - 04/17/17 at 09:02:34
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 04/16/17 at 20:16:17:
Congrats, Nikos, on a well-deserved win

He seems to have received vast swathes of guest votes, particularly on the 14th April, but very few votes from members.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #46 - 04/16/17 at 20:16:17
Post Tools
We have a winner.   Cheesy 

Playing 1.e4 e5 -  A Classical Repertoire by Nikos Ntirlis
has won the ChessPub Opening Book of the Year for 2016

Congrats, Nikos, on a well-deserved win. 

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #45 - 04/15/17 at 15:42:16
Post Tools
Last day to vote!

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #44 - 04/05/17 at 03:16:38
Post Tools
Does it make sense to comment on the way the votes are currently running, when the poll is a hidden one which doesn't show its result until it's over?

I presume there was a reason behind making it hidden, so I figure it'd be better not to talk about that? Even if the Mods can all see it.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 04/04/17 at 13:17:48
Post Tools
Interesting the way the votes are currently running. I'm a little surprised at some of the votes, but not at others.

Modified my post as i didnt realise the vote was hidden. Apologies if anyone found my earlier post talking about the votes case so far  inappropriate. I thought in previous years we had discussed the vote as it was underway, but perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me.
« Last Edit: 04/05/17 at 19:50:01 by RoleyPoley »  

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #42 - 04/04/17 at 10:07:11
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 04/01/17 at 15:47:14:
Is it supposed to be an open poll (as opposed to members poll)?

I think it should be members only, otherwise there is a risk of the results being falsified. Sad
Anyway, I can always remove the guest votes later if need be.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 04/01/17 at 15:47:14
Post Tools
Hello.

Is it supposed to be an open poll (as opposed to members poll)?

May the best book win!

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #40 - 04/01/17 at 15:09:20
Post Tools
Time to vote.  I have added a poll with all the nominees (I hope).  Voting closes 4/15.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #39 - 03/22/17 at 19:31:01
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 03/22/17 at 15:49:17:
LeeRoth wrote on 03/21/17 at 19:31:54:
Any further nominations?

I suggest we close the nominating process by March 28th, start the poll/voting on April 1, and close voting on April 15. 

As best I can tell, we currently have 10 nominations:

1. Collins, A Simple Chess Opening Repertoire for White
2. Cummings, The English
3. Delchev/Semkov, Attacking the English/Reti
4. Dreev, Bf4 in the Queens Gambit and Exchange Slav
5. Mikhalevski, Beating Minor Openings
6. Ntrilis, Play 1.e4 e5
7. Pert, Play the Ragozin
8. Shaw, Playing 1.e4
9. Smirin, Kings Indian Warfare
10. Solozhenkin, The Spanish Main Road

Smiley

I suggested Negi, 1e4 vs The Sicilian III

Apologies.  My bad.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 03/22/17 at 17:04:14
Post Tools
The last 11 Posts were moved here from General Chess [move by] RoleyPoley.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Book of the Year
Reply #37 - 03/22/17 at 15:49:17
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 03/21/17 at 19:31:54:
Any further nominations?

I suggest we close the nominating process by March 28th, start the poll/voting on April 1, and close voting on April 15. 

2. Cummings, The English
6. Ntrilis, Play 1.e4 e5
8. Shaw, Playing 1.e4

Smiley

I suggested Negi, 1e4 vs The Sicilian III

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #36 - 03/22/17 at 13:20:20
Post Tools
Yes, think you should combine the threads.  Will avoid confusion and keep everything in one place. 

BTW, I didn't think that Gabriel was saying that I hadn't included books from the other thread.  Just that when the threads get combined and we start the poll, we ought to make sure all the nominations are included.  That is sound advice since there is now an additional nomination -- Kuzmin's Zaitsev book -- that came in after I made my list.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 03/21/17 at 23:35:44
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 03/21/17 at 22:25:27:
There are now two threads after the =erlier thread went MIA but has now been "found". Perhaps combine both threads and ensure all nominated books on both threads are included in poll?

I think he has included all the books from the other thread into his list in this one. I'm happy to combine threads if everyone thinks it worthwhile.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #34 - 03/21/17 at 22:25:27
Post Tools
There are now two threads after the =erlier thread went MIA but has now been "found". Perhaps combine both threads and ensure all nominated books on both threads are included in poll?

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #33 - 03/21/17 at 19:31:54
Post Tools
Any further nominations?

2. Cummings, The English
6. Ntrilis, Play 1.e4 e5
8. Shaw, Playing 1.e4

Smiley

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #32 - 03/17/17 at 00:13:38
Post Tools
Interesting.  I have copy right here as well that say Copyright 2015 and I purchased it in December 2015.

I definitely remember voting for it a year ago in the 2015 Book of the Year thread.

Everyman has it listed as 2015 on this site.:
https://www.everymanchess.com/opening-repertoire-the-open-games-with-black

"Book Pub Date      31 Oct 2015
Book Pub Date (US)      31 Dec 2015"

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #31 - 03/16/17 at 21:38:39
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 03/15/17 at 17:18:20:
ErictheRed wrote on 03/15/17 at 16:24:53:
I thought that Martin Lokander won the 2016 Chesspub Book of the Year award, didn't he?

I thought that Martin Lokander won the 2016 Chesspub Book of the Year award, didn't he?

2015, I believe?

My copy says that it's copyright January 2016, but maybe that's just the American version or something?  Anyway I don't see the thread now, either.

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #30 - 03/16/17 at 06:35:33
Post Tools
Ever since ChessCafe.com went under a couple years ago, there remains an opportunity for ChessPub.com to take over awarding the CHESS BOOK OF THE YEAR award.
But ChessPub.com seems intent on Not branching out beyond its Opening Book charter. Seems like an opportunity squandered.
The test is whether chess publishers would put little mentions like "Voted 'Best Chess Book of 2016' by ChessPub.com!".
My guess is that publishers would - because they like to sell more books.

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #29 - 03/15/17 at 17:18:20
Post Tools

2015, I believe?

In the now missing-in-action thread I nominated and do again here:

The Spanish Main Road
GM Evgeniy Solozhenkin
Chess Stars

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #28 - 03/15/17 at 16:24:53
Post Tools

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Book of the Year
Reply #27 - 03/15/17 at 14:30:28
Post Tools
At least for me, the Important Topics section, including the Book of the Year thread, has disappeared.  And we are, in any event, overdue for a poll on the 2016 book of the year.  So I am starting this new thread in the hopes of getting things moving.  If the old thread is still viable, then, by all means, feel free to delete this one and use that one instead.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #26 - 03/21/17 at 23:49:41
Post Tools
My nomination is: The Zaitzev System - Alexey Kuzmin (New In Chess).

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #25 - 03/19/17 at 23:39:11
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/18/17 at 12:26:49:
Mortal Games wrote on 03/18/17 at 01:28:08:
My nomination goes to: Dominating 1.d4 with the King's Indian Defence by a brilliant presenter IM Jorge Ferreira.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dei3Z9gi7oQ

With respect, of the two important aspects, you manage to miss both.
It's a DVD, and it's from 2015.
Just curious, but is Ferreira a good friend...?  Huh

Ok, sorry I miss the 2015 part. Yes Jorge Ferreira is a good friend, but my nomination was based only on his top notch explanations and analysis, something which was not a surprise, taking on account that he was the best philosophy student from his university too.  Wink

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 03/18/17 at 16:47:55
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/18/17 at 12:26:49:
My nomination goes to: Dominating 1.d4 with the King's Indian Defence by a brilliant presenter IM Jorge Ferreira.

To be fair, the OP does say DVDs are allowed as well. The 2015 part, though, is valid of course.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #23 - 03/18/17 at 13:33:59
Post Tools
Some interesting points made earlier, if in a slightly unfortunate manner.
It's a fair point actually I think re: balancing accessibility and usability, versus depth and completeness.

May irk the purists, but I found the 'Dangerous Weapons' series by Everyman to be the most directly useful in terms of helping me score points. To win games. I 'learnt' more about chess, in a more profound way, from the old Marin series on the English, but it is also good to notch up some points with hacky, tricky stuff.

One can balance the two aspects. Choose ... both. Choose life, etc.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #22 - 03/18/17 at 12:26:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #21 - 03/18/17 at 01:28:08
Post Tools

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #20 - 02/24/17 at 23:19:12
Post Tools
I get your point. Gee, whiz...

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #19 - 02/24/17 at 17:24:02
Post Tools
I really enjoy the Kotronias KID series but it weighs in over 20 lbs. Hard to travel by plane with it.  It adds like $30 to the lugagge fees!   Shocked

The King's Gambit (Nessie!) by John Shaw is 1254g and I really do own rubber door stops that weigh less than 400g   Cheesy

The authors themselves state that many of the novelties come from deep probing and prodding of an engine and are engine checked.

Thus, I stand by my original assertions.   Cool

So, no doubt I am taking a bit of a whiz here at QC expense but I mean it all in good fun and have not one single cell of animosity in my heart.

I just find that the line I get from Chess Stars actually show up on boards in the games I play really frequently and the QC lines not so much.   Cry

Is that fair enough?      Smiley

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #18 - 02/24/17 at 03:21:12
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 02/23/17 at 21:39:18:
No offense to Quality, but their door stoppers full of computer driven novelties . . .

Uh...the authors of those books might disagree with that characterization. It seems no good deed goes unpunished. But I like Chess Stars books a lot too.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #17 - 02/23/17 at 21:39:18
Post Tools
If it is not to late to make a nomination I offer:

THE SPANISH MAIN ROAD
by: Evgeniy Solozhenkin
Published by: Chess Stars

I think this outfit is the real benchmark of concise, pragmatic tomes for real otb players.

No offense to Quality, but their door stoppers full of computer driven novelties just are not as practical for the majority of players.  I still buy all of them that play into my own repertoire but these Chess Stars books are compact and dense and easy to carry five of them, and thus 5x the info on 5 different openings in the same space while travelling.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #16 - 02/19/17 at 20:03:21
Post Tools
Did anyone mention Smirin's 'King's Indian Warfare' yet? If not I nominate it.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 02/19/17 at 15:53:09
Post Tools
I'd like to add 1.e4 vs The Sicilian III by Parimarjan Negi. I like it best among his three books against the sicilian.
For the first time I feel I am beginning to get a handle on the various Kan/Taimanov move orders. (Usually I end
up being outmoveordered, but this book gives me hope). 

My other two candidates (Shaw's playing e4 and Delchev's Attacking The English/Reti have already been proposed.)

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #14 - 02/19/17 at 12:23:59
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 02/04/17 at 11:32:40:
Doesnt seem to be as many entries as we normally have.

Is that because there are fewer opening books published in 2016 or that Lakdawala has written most of them  Grin

It does seem like it was a down year for opening books.  I was going to suggest that moving the thread to the "important" topics section of the board might have hidden it amongst the older book of the year votes.  But  emary and Rene spotted it there so maybe that's not the case.  In any event, seems like we're ready for a poll on this.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #13 - 02/04/17 at 15:00:19
Post Tools

IP Logged

emary

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 02/04/17 at 14:55:05
Post Tools
I nominate
Cummings: The English
Everymanchess 2016

He explains well why he chooses some lines and rejects others.

Excellent Introduction/thematic index, for instance   
IQP and against IQP, Maroczy Bind, two bishops,
against Blacks doubled f-pawns,
Kingside attacks with g2-g4-g5 or h2-h4-h5.

Excellent guide to moveorder problems.

Tells the reader in which lines it is most important to stay informed about new developments.

Avoids most Fianchetto lines because there are already the excellent books written by Marin and Tony Kosten.

It is easy to replace parts of the repertoire with d2-d4-mainlines if you want to do so.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 02/04/17 at 11:32:40
Post Tools
Doesnt seem to be as many entries as we normally have.

Is that because there are fewer opening books published in 2016 or that Lakdawala has written most of them  Grin

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 02/01/17 at 04:48:32
Post Tools
Thanks for taking this on this year! I'm sorry I haven't been around more, but personal life matters got in the way.

I'll try to be around a bit more now that things are settling down a bit for me.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #9 - 01/17/17 at 02:53:10
Post Tools
Attacking the English/Reti A Black Repertoire with 1...e5/1...d5
by Alexander Delchev and Semko Semkov from Chess Stars

is my nomination. It is more handy for a 2000+ player compared with the book of Victor Mikhalevski and teaches much more than to play two openings with black.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #8 - 01/14/17 at 19:15:11
Post Tools
As a counterwight to Quality Chess I would like to propose a book from Gambit.

Please do not missunderstand me. I love Quality Chess and I buy most of their books. They are exactly what they say - quality chess

During 2016 Gambit published "A Simple Chess Opening Repertoire for White" by Sam Collins.
It is a wonderful 1.e4 repertoire focused on creating IQP positions.
I wholeheartedly recommend this wonderful book/repertoire. Not only to aquire a repertoire but to get a repertoire deepening your chess understanding. (If you actually play it, that is).
With this book together with Alex Baburin's and Ivan Sokolov's books on IQP you really will "learn for life" as they usually say about repertoire books.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #7 - 01/12/17 at 19:49:49
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 01/12/17 at 14:15:12:
I don't know if you will accept this as an opening book but Smirin's King's Indian Warfare will definitely get my vote. It is absolutely fantastic!

I think it should count.  Quality Chess lists it in the "openings" section of its website.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/12/17 at 14:15:12
Post Tools
I don't know if you will accept this as an opening book but Smirin's King's Indian Warfare will definitely get my vote. It is absolutely fantastic!

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #5 - 01/09/17 at 08:16:59
Post Tools
In addition to those already nominated, I have found the following two books to be excellent:
Playing the Ragozin, by Richard Pert (Quality Chess)
Beating Minor Openings, by Victor Mikhalevski (Quality Chess)

Richard's book was published at the end of December, so some people may not have had an opportunity to see it yet. This seems to happen every year!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/08/17 at 20:47:43
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 01/08/17 at 20:43:53:
Playing 1.e4 e5 will probably get my vote but I will nevertheless add another nominee:

Playing 1.e4 by John Shaw/Quality Chess.

Sermdon´s book on the Scandinavian may be good (I haven´t seen it) but I´m afraid the opening itself may be not. In my view Shaw´s recommendation puts the line 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 more or less out of business.

I was nominating Smerdon's book when i found out it is copyrighted for 2015, so i've had to withdraw it Sad

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/08/17 at 20:43:53
Post Tools
Playing 1.e4 e5 will probably get my vote but I will nevertheless add another nominee:

Playing 1.e4 by John Shaw/Quality Chess.

Sermdon´s book on the Scandinavian may be good (I haven´t seen it) but I´m afraid the opening itself may be not. In my view Shaw´s recommendation puts the line 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 more or less out of business.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/08/17 at 20:34:17
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 01/08/17 at 19:24:32:
Time for the annual vote!

We normally begin with nominations followed by a poll.

Opening books only.  DVDs also count.  Must be published/copyrighted in 2016.

Thanks Lee for getting this year's under way.

I'll have to go and see which of my books i bought are from 2016.

This one might be the first time we've included DVDs which should make things more interesting!

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/08/17 at 19:29:47
Post Tools
I'll open the nominations with Nikos's Play 1.e4 e5.

I had been looking to add 1..e5 back to my repertoire and Nikos's book was a godsend. Clear, concise, and cohesive.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

ChessPub Opening Book of the Year 2016
01/08/17 at 19:24:32
Post Tools
Time for the annual vote!

We normally begin with nominations followed by a poll.

Opening books only.  DVDs also count.  Must be published/copyrighted in 2016.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo